Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Drar3g
macrumors newbie

iMac vs MBA for development and photography

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a laptop as my job requires mobility.

I currently have a mid-2011 21.5 iMac with a quad-core 2.5Ghz processor (sandy bridge) and 12Gb of RAM, which I use mostly to develop software, photography and some casual gaming.

Initially I was thinking of buying a macbook air and keep the imac, but then I saw that the new i5 airs are close to my imac in the Geekbench 2 benchmark.

So now I wonder if I should just replace my iMac with and an MBA and a thunderbolt display. I think that for programming this would work fine and I don't care that much about not being able to play games, but I'm concerned that a somewhat less powerful processor and less RAM (8GB) might be a problem when working with Aperture and RAW files.

I know I could get a base non-retina macbook pro for little more money than the air, but I'm attracted by the lightness, long battery life and ssd of the air.

What do you think? thanks
Drar3g is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
imac, mba, performance, thunderbolt display