Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
the most recent PowerBooks come with DVD/CD-RW combos....

the auction only states a DVD.....it could be one of the Rev. B's before the combos were standard.....

u should email the person selling it to confirm....but I think it's just DVD....

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thanks eyelikeart

i just e-mailed the seller trying to confirm this.

could you all check this out..does this sound fishy to you or what?

... these are top of the line powerbooks

the seller does not work in escrow and only accpets money orders..meaning someone sends him the money order then they send the product once they get the money order...so that means if the buyer never gets the product then they are screwed. does this seller sound fishy to you? im trying to see if this is a scam or soemthing....so i can do bussines with that seller. please help me out here.
thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325555396

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
check their seller rating and comments about them.. sometimes they just want money orders so there are no probs with bounced checks or anything

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ebay...

ebay works that way.....u pay first....and u receive the item after.....but do check into the seller's feedback ratings before u do anything.....

I don't know if the second auction sounds so much like a scam....but I feel u should be careful of sellers with low ratings.....he could possibly feel confident that the TiBook is going to go for a much higher price than his reserve price is set.....

if it were my money, I'd go more for the first....if u can get it for a good price u can use the extra money for the $200 upgrade to the combo drive that Apple is offering....

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Okay cool guys thanks.

So let me get this straight...

Apple has sold 667mhz ti books without ht combo drive and those were the rev. b s?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by ptrauber
Rev A Powerbooks were the 400-500mhz models.

-pete

so then the revision b ones are the 667mhz with combo drive?

is the difference between the two that rev b has the combo drive and is uped with the mhz and the rev a has no combo drive and lower mhz?

So then there is NO WAY that a rev b CANNOT have a combo drive?

if so then that 1st link at the top ...that powerbook does have a combo drive but the seller did not state it....is this correct or am i wrong?
this is the CRUX of the problem here.

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
NO

Revision b's can have a combo or a cd-rom/dvd-rom the ones with the cd-rom/dvd-rom can be upgraded through apple to the combo drive (that is on the 550's and 667's). if it's a 667 it can but dosen't nessicerily have a cd-rw/dvd-rom (combo) they started with only the cd-rom/dvd-rom drives and then there was a little upgrade to the cd-rw/dvd-rom combo. Now if it is 667 or 550mghz that didn't come with the combo drive you can do the upgrade for $200 or $299. Other wise (ex 400 or 500mhz) you can't.

I think I said the same thing a few times but hopefilly all is good. The information IS all correct.

"if so then that 1st link at the top ...that powerbook does
have a combo drive but the seller did not state it....is this
correct or am i wrong?"

That most likely does NOT have the combo.

"Does apple sell 667mhz powerbooks without combo drives?"

YES!
550mhz $1999 (dvd-rom/cd-rom)
667mhz $2799 (dvd-rom/cd-rom)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Instead of wasting your time on ebay... why don't you pay a little more and get a new one... If it sounds fishy... just go to the Apple store...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
check this out again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325555396

I talked to the guy on the phone and he said if I send him 100 MO then he will shop me this product..that way if I loose out its only 100 as oppose to lossing out the entire cost of this product.

Do you all think its a scam or not. THis guy as a number of these powerbooks that he said he got from an apple dealer and if he sells them quick he will get more and build his business.

Man I dont know but im willing to risk it.

tell me your opinions.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
hmm...

I wouldn't send any money to anyone from ebay without having won an auction....

let me get this straight.....he wants u to send him a $100 money order and he'll send u a PowerBook?

if this is correct...sounds very fishy... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.