Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Photos of Bare iPhone 5S Logic Board Surface, Slightly Narrower Than iPhone 5 Board [Updated]

As noted by Mac Otakara, Japanese parts firm Moumantai has posted three photos of what may be the bare logic board from the iPhone 5S. Unsurprisingly, the shape of the board is nearly identical to that of the iPhone 5 logic board, although it appears to have a slightly different curve along the bottom edge where the logic board would meet the speaker enclosure.

Front of claimed iPhone 5S logic board compared to iFixit's iPhone 5 logic board photo
Few details can be obtained from the part, as there are no chips or other components attached to the board, although it does contain a somewhat different placement of screw holes and a tweaked chip layout. The main A-series chip appears as if it will be slightly larger in area than the A6 seen in the iPhone 5, as it takes up a greater width of the logic board.

Rear of claimed iPhone 5S logic board compared to iFixit's iPhone 5 logic board photo
Apple's iPhone 5S is expected to launch later this year, perhaps around the September timeframe. Following Apple's pattern of two-year body style cycles, the iPhone 5S will reportedly appear very similar to the iPhone 5 and focus on internal improvements. One differentiating feature may, however, be a fingerprint sensor, which is rumored to be location on or near the device's home button.

Update 8:32 AM: As noted in our forums by chrmjenkins, the logic board may actually be slightly narrower than on the iPhone 5, meaning that the main A-series chip may be the same size as the A6 in the iPhone 5.
Quote:
I think the logic board has gotten narrower. Notice how the A6 has room for a triple row of caps to its left? The new logic board only has room for a single row (caps being placed longways, granted). Also, the back of the iPhone 5 logic board has the Hynix memory module spanning the whole board. Now since the board is thinner, it's been forced to rotate 90 degrees to fit since it's longer than it is wide.
Article Link: Photos of Bare iPhone 5S Logic Board Surface, Slightly Narrower Than iPhone 5 Board [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
towg
macrumors regular

Here we go again...
towg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

I'm really looking forward to a white 64 GB iPhone 5S to replace my white 64 GB 4S!

Looking forward to thumbprint reader
Four oF NINE is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Bigger area huh? Quad core perhaps
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #5
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
I'd love that.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
litmag01
macrumors regular

Could also be a smaller board with same chip size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The main A-series chip appears as if it will be slightly larger in area than the A6 seen in the iPhone 5, as it takes up a greater width of the logic board.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Bhatu
macrumors regular

Samsung should get back to work now!

Last edited by Bhatu; Jun 17, 2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Bhatu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:14 AM   #8
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Why do we need quad core? Those swift cores in A6 are a great balance in power and battery life I think.

We'll see I guess
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
.Asa
macrumors regular

A7?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Why do we need quad core? Those swift cores in A6 are a great balance in power and battery life I think.

We'll see I guess
Need more GB, instead of quad core.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:18 AM   #11
ben824
macrumors regular

Who cares, it will be running iOS 7 which is garbage! #BoycottiOS7
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Need more GB, instead of quad core.
Add 128 GB, delete 16 GB, maintain current price points.
Four oF NINE is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:23 AM   #13
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Lots of possibilities here. Assuming they're moving to 28nm, it definitely means they're adding stuff if it's getting bigger.

Possibilities:
  • Rogue family GPU. Die size is unknown for this family so it may well be a reason for increase.
  • Quad core. Apple may have optimized iOS 7 and its APIs for a true quad core environment.
  • Shadow core. Apple could be implementing a Tegra-like solution with a simplified, slower core that powers up to take care of simple tasks like notifications. Only when the user is fully using the phone do the faster cores turn on.
  • big.LITTLE. This is kind of like the shadow core, except it's an actual ARM concept supported directly in their architecture and ISA. Since swift cores are custom, it would be a little different for apple, but it may still be possible for them to use two A7 cores (custom or not) to match their Swift cores for low power operation. It's also possible they've adapted a single A7 core into a shadow core. (*currently ARM's big.LITTLE concept requires the number of A7 cores to match the number of main cores, which is why there is an octa core Samsung Exynos part. Apple may or may not try to break from this restriction)
  • Custom circuitry. The redesigned A5 for the appleTV had a lot of custom analog circuitry. It's possible Apple could be going even more custom on the A7 design, which could cause a size increase. They could also be moving off component chips on chip to reduce the overall number of components on the board.

All that being said, I think the premise of the article is wrong. I think the logic board has gotten narrower. Notice how the A6 has room for a triple row of caps to its left? The new logic board only has room for a single row (caps being placed longways, granted). Also, the back of the iPhone 5 logic board has the Hynix memory module spanning the whole board. Now since the board is thinner, it's been forced to rotate 90 degrees to fit since it's longer than it is wide.

Last edited by chrmjenkins; Jun 17, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
chrmjenkins is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben824 View Post
Weird, I'm sure Apple made improvements in virtually every single aspect of iOS 7 over iOS 6, and I'm also sure I logged into MacRumors, not twitter.

Must be my computer playing up. Restarting now...
Jsameds is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You may want to apply for a job at Apple and show them how it's done!

I am assuming you created something groundbreaking already, which makes you feel entitled to rip
the work of other creative people?

ios7 will be the fastest adapted OS ever for Apple, says this analyst.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:30 AM   #16
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
For what? iMaps?
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Weird, I'm sure Apple made improvements in virtually every single aspect of iOS 7 over iOS 6, and I'm also sure I logged into MacRumors, not twitter.

Must be my computer playing up. Restarting now...
Haha amazing to see how many people now seem to care about form over function when usually they're complaining about Apple doing the same thing. For me quick access to common settings and better multitasking > design of app icons.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:35 AM   #18
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I know it's probably hard to tell the difference, but this is not twitter. If ios7 is complete garbage then why the hell do you own a product with ios6, which is worse in every aspect.
appleisking is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
For what? iMaps?
A wise man once said "640K ought to be enough for anyone."

Never say never, quad core with the right multitasking & optimization to balance battery life can really be a wonderful experience.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #20
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hello guy who vows to boycott facebook every time they make a change but after a few weeks you realize the change was all for the better.
HarryKeogh is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:40 AM   #21
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Going white.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:41 AM   #22
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
For what? iMaps?
It's actually just called Maps, and is not the only app available for the iPhone.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:41 AM   #23
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatu View Post
Samsung should get back to work now!
You're exactly right!

I haven't seen ANY innovation at Samsung in the past few weeks. This looks to be the beginning of the end for Samsung,
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
krspkbl
macrumors 6502

I'm excited to see parts surface leading up to the 5S release. I've missed this! I'm still rocking my white 32GB 4S! Such a reliable device but I think it's time to upgrade to 5S.

I hope they lower the price OR keep the same price points and get rid of 16GB models and introduce 128GB models so it's: 32GB/64GB/128GB.

Really looking forward to changing my signature to "iPhone 5S (Black - 32GB) - 7.0"
krspkbl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Haha amazing to see how many people now seem to care about form over function when usually they're complaining about Apple doing the same thing. For me quick access to common settings and better multitasking > design of app icons.
Agreed. Whilst the new icons aren't really my cup of tea, I'm sure that a) They will evolve from what we see now to the final master release and b) By that time they will probably have grown on me anyway.

When I first saw the leaked iPhone 5 I thought 'Urgh', but by the time it came out I was used to it, and weirdly by that time the reverse effect was true - the 3.5" display of old looked somewhat 'squashed'.

It's amazing how the mind works.
Jsameds is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion