Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
mcrain
Banned

SCOTUS tosses Arizona citizenship test for voting

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court on Monday tossed out a provision in Arizona's voter registration law that required proof of citizenship.

The 7-2 majority said the state's voter-approved Proposition 200 interfered with federal law designed to make voter registration easier.

The state called the provision a "sensible precaution" to prevent voter fraud. Civil rights group countered that it added an unconstitutional and burdensome layer of paperwork for tens of thousands of citizens.

Justice Antonin Scalia said the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 "forbids states to demand an applicant submit additional information beyond that required by the federal form."

But in a nod to state authority, Scalia said the federal law "does not prevent states from denying registration based on any information in their possession establishing the applicant's eligibility."

The appeal was a classic federalism dispute, on the often delicate line between conflict and cooperation between state and federal governments over enforcing voting procedures. During last year's election, there were numerous court challenges to state voter identification laws at the polls. The current fight has produced a range of states, lawmakers and advocacy groups on both sides on the gateway issue of registration. The Obama Justice Department opposed the Arizona law, which went beyond what other states have done to ensure integrity in the registration system. CNN
First of a series of interesting decisions to come.
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Saw that and thought about starting a thread.

You beat me to it.

Victory for voting!!!

Nice to see it was 7 to 2.
citizenzen is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:27 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

Nice to see it was 7 to 2.

Hear, hear!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
zioxide
macrumors 603

The 2 who voted against this should be immediately disbarred, kicked off the bench, and relegated to flipping burgers.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:36 AM   #5
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
The 2 who voted against this should be immediately disbarred, kicked off the bench, and relegated to flipping burgers.
Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito were the two dissenters.

Burger flippers to be sure.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Burger flippers to be sure.
Just don't let the first serve your Coca-cola.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Josh125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Just don't let the first serve your Coca-cola.
....and I nearly just spit mine out from laughing. I wonder how many here are old enough to remember that.
Josh125 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:37 PM   #8
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

No surprise it's the the two most corrupt justices on the court.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh125 View Post
....and I nearly just spit mine out from laughing. I wonder how many here are old enough to remember that.
Me.

I enjoyed it as well.

citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:42 PM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Spit what out?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I'm old, and I don't remember it.

Then again, I don't remember breakfast!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm old, and I don't remember it.

Then again, I don't remember breakfast!
Let's see if I can refresh your mind.

Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Spit what out?
His Long Dong Silver....

**I was a wee child at the time, but I always giggle and think about Clarence Thomas whenever I pass a Long John Silver's.**
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:23 PM   #14
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
His Long Dong Silver....

**I was a wee child at the time, but I always giggle and think about Clarence Thomas whenever I pass a Long John Silver's.**
I was just in high school and this story was one of the first inklings that adults, even in the halls of power, were really weird.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
No surprise it's the the two most corrupt justices on the court.
Source detailing corruption for both?
anonymouslurker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Let's see if I can refresh your mind.

ImageImage
Thanks...

I need to be cued when I'm eating, or I forget to swallow!

Yup, definitely remember now!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:20 PM   #17
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Source detailing corruption for both?

Google results for Clarence Thomas

Google results for Samuel Alito

FYI, it's just that easy when try for yourself. Have a field day by taking your pick and don't bother me again.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:17 AM   #18
hulugu
macrumors 68000

A Google search is not evidence, it merely proves you entered in a set of search terms. Instead, you should filter the results and provide some specific claims, for instance, that Thomas and Alito should have recused themselves from the Citizens United v. FEC case because of their relationship with Charles Koch, who otherwise may have been in hot water with the FEC over his funding of various conservative causes.

Likewise, Justice Alito should have recused himself over Cheney v. U.S. District Court because he went hunting with the Vice President, and Thomas should have recused himself from a decision on "Obamacare" because his wife spent significant amount of time campaigning against it.

Ultimately, I agree that the justice's refusal to recuse themselves when they had an obvious conflict of interest is a serious problem with SCOTUS and the two justices, however, a request in this forum to provide proof is not harassment. You should be happy to prove your points.

Last edited by stridemat; Jun 18, 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote
hulugu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:20 AM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
A Google search is not evidence, it merely proves you entered in a set of search terms. Instead, you should filter the results and provide some specific claims, for instance, that Thomas and Alito should have recused themselves from the Citizens United v. FEC case because of their relationship with Charles Koch, who otherwise may have been in hot water with the FEC over his funding of various conservative causes.

Likewise, Justice Alito should have recused himself over Cheney v. U.S. District Court because he went hunting with the Vice President, and Thomas should have recused himself from a decision on "Obamacare" because his wife spent significant amount of time campaigning against it.

Ultimately, I agree that the justice's refusal to recuse themselves when they had an obvious conflict of interest is a serious problem with SCOTUS and the two justices, however, a request in this forum to provide proof is not harassment. You should be happy to prove your points.
Do you always twist the knife with a smile?
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Huntn
macrumors 604

Now living in Texas, I was required to provide some proof of citizenship to register my car in the State. I had to show my birth certificate. I don't have a problem with this. I don't have a problem with voter registration along the same lines. I am registered to vote and my name appears on the registered voter list. What I have problems with is being required to show proof of citizenship or drivers license at the polls, because I all ready jumped through the hoops to register and have a voter registration card. This cross checked against the list of registered voters should be enough. If I understand what was being required, Arizona's law was too much. If I recall correctly, Texas's voter law was also over turned prior to the last Presidential election, which would have been the one requiring a drivers license to be shown along with your voter registration card.

Regarding immigration, we have a system set up for legal immigrants to enter the country. Every country has a right to determine immigration policy. I've never liked the idea, (and living in Southern California helped focus that feeling), that if you can sneak in you should not be able to use social and health services basically for free. This adds drag on the system. Take your turn and come in legally.

That said, I do support the concept of Federal Law and its requirements and support the SC decision on Arizona's law. Regarding State's rights and the Constitution, how do you all feel about individual States trying to supersede Federal Law?

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 18, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:28 AM   #21
mcrain
Banned

SCOTUS is not bound by the same rules of ethics that lower courts are, and these two judges have repeatedly abused that fact. If you aren't aware of that, then perhaps you might want to read hulugu's post.

(edit) Oh, and add to that the fact that Justice Thomas never speaks in Court; never asks questions; and yet somehow always seems to have some pretty strong opinions. Not very fair for a litigant if you ask me.

Last edited by stridemat; Jun 18, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote and response
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:06 AM   #22
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

OK, so if I understand this correctly Arizona wanted proof to be shown at time of registration that the person filling out the form was in fact a legal US citizen?

Where they also requiring that proof be brought to the polls?

I don't see an issue with either particularly. The first one should be a requirement to vote and the second... just bring your voter registration card and a form of ID (like your drivers license or some other state issued ID). Perhaps that makes it a little more tedious to vote but if you are not willing to do those 2 simple things then don't vote.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:00 AM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
... just bring your voter registration card and a form of ID (like your drivers license or some other state issued ID).
No such thing as a voter registration card in California.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #24
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No such thing as a voter registration card in California.
Then either allow the states to require that information or, to make it all fair and equal, add it to the requirements at the federal level

Last edited by prostuff1; Jun 18, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
prostuff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:31 PM   #25
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
Then either allow the states to require that information or, to make it all fair and equal, add it to the requirements at the federal level
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...931.html?hp=l3
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues