Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Assuming you got Mavericks through the app store, you have an app called "Install OSX Mavericks.app" sitting in /Applications.

Step 0 is to back the install app up since it likes to delete itself once the install is done. Step 0a is to make sure you aren't installing Mavericks on a "real" machine but rather on a test box. Now that those items are behind us, it turns out it's a little bit more tricky to make your own USB stick. In Lion and ML, all you had to do was restore InstallESD.dmg to a usb stick. In Mavericks, there are a few more steps...

1) Set finder to show hidden files
2) Pick the install app in finder and "show contents"
3) Navigate to InstallESD.dmg in (contents/sharedsupport) and (optionally) copy it out someplace for yourself to work on.
4) Mount InstallESD.dmg and look for basesystem.dmg (which is a hidden file and the reason for step 1 above) Restore basesystem.dmg to an 8GB USB stick.
5) Find a sym link (in /system/installation) to packages and replace it with the real packages folder copied from InstallESD.dmg.
6) (optional) Set finder to hide hidden files

That's it. You now have a Mavericks DP1 install/recovery USB stick. I successfully installed Mavericks on a test machine using the USB stick I created using these instructions.

Source: 9to5mac.com

I really wish Apple would put everything you need to do a restore in the recovery partition(I really should find the time to go poke around in Maverick's recovery partition to see if the have already done this). I would still make myself a stick just in case a HDD crashed completely, but even if it didn't crash completely I don't want to sit through a restore from the Lion or ML recovery partition because so much has to come down over the internet. The up side is you don't need a software update afterwards. The down side is a recovery that could get done in 20 minutes can take a lot longer depending on the speed of your internet connection. I had posted this in another thread but as more developers and eventually users install 10.9, this needs its own thread.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I was apparently way ahead of 9to5 on this...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594017/

EDIT: I have done my own poking around in the Recovery partition. I even have a guide on here to build a recovery partition for when the installer doesn't. Such as when you use the USB installer.

Basically, the Recovery partition uses the exact same BaseSystem.dmg without the Packages added that we use for the USB installer, but you can't just build a new DMG with the Packages folder. It does some kind of check. I'm still working on it.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I really wish Apple would put everything you need to do a restore in the recovery partition(I really should find the time to go poke around in Maverick's recovery partition to see if the have already done this).
It's unlikely that Apple would put the entire OS onto a Recovery Partition.
1. Downloading ensures the latest version and security updates are already included.
2. Setting a partition to a fixed size would limit the size of the OS, (without re-partitioning everyone's hard drives).

While Mavericks is still in beta, I wouldn't think you would need this, as builds will be updated very regularly. And if something did go wrong, you would be more likely to want to restore 10.8 than a previous build of 10.9.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
It's unlikely that Apple would put the entire OS onto a Recovery Partition.
1. Downloading ensures the latest version and security updates are already included.
2. Setting a partition to a fixed size would limit the size of the OS, (without re-partitioning everyone's hard drives).

While Mavericks is still in beta, I wouldn't think you would need this, as builds will be updated very regularly. And if something did go wrong, you would be more likely to want to restore 10.8 than a previous build of 10.9.

I agree. Once Mavericks is out of beta, I'll scrap my DP1 USB stick and make one for the released OS. I think I might still have one lying around for ML DP1 and I really should wipe it and reuse it.

I agree with point 1 except that if I'm in a hurry to recover, I'd rather get it over with and let software update run afterwards. Sometimes a person needs a bit of data and a recovery stands between that person and getting a specific task done. It's always best to err on the side of giving the user the ability to control how they spend their time. Apple has historically given me a lot of control over how and when I must spend time on my Macs and iThings and I'd hate them get in the habit of putting security updates (or whatever) in my way when I urgently need to get to a wedding rehearsal or print a boarding pass for an overseas flight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.