Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the WWDC Keynote presentation last week, Apple executive Craig Federighi showed off Mac OS X Mavericks. One of the new features is more substantial support for multiple monitors.

In Mountain Lion, there are issues with using full-screen apps on setups with multiple monitors. Putting an app into full-screen mode disables the rest of the monitors. In Mavericks, apps can be set to full screen on individual monitors and moved around as necessary.

However, as this video shows (via 9to5Mac), there are some changes in Mavericks that multiple monitor users may not like. For instance, application windows cannot be used across multiple monitors anymore -- windows can only be used on one monitor at a time. Also, spaces are only switched individually, which could affect the workflow of some users.

It appears that, in OS X Mavericks, users can switch between both the Mountain Lion multiple monitor setup and the new multiple monitor support in Mavericks as needed. As always, it's worth noting that this is a beta and things could change before the final version of OS X Mavericks is released in the Fall.

Article Link: Video Shows Differences Between Mavericks and Mountain Lion Multiple Monitor Support

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I used multiple monitors with my old MBP and it eventually fried the GPU. I hope they're building them better these days. This looks like it'd be something I would actually use.

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with that… Is different options, or you have multiple monitor and one space or multiple monitors and multiple spaces

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
SO he doesn't like it in Mavericks because he can't see his pretty wallpaper on all 6 screens when he switches one of them? :rolleyes:

What a "nightmare"...

edit: Proposed fix that I think would solve this: Hold option key switches all screens

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
SO he doesn't like it in Mavericks because he can't see his pretty wallpaper on all 6 screens when he switches one of them? :rolleyes:

What a "nightmare"...

It's not the wallpaper. It is not being able to switch all monitors at the same time. You can't cover an array of monitors with a single space, and switch between spaces like you can now.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
The only real issue is not being able to have an application spread across multiple monitors. That's the only issue for Apple to "fix".

flashPUNK

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
This is a bit dramatic... He REALLLLLLY wants one huge image spanning across his 6 screens it seems...

I wonder how many people use more than 1 external monitor as well. I use an external display with my MBA, and occasionally Air Display with my iPad, but I really doubt there are many people using 6 displays...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
does anyone know if in mission control, you can drag and drop windows from one screen to another aka 10.6? ML only lets you drag windows from different spaces associated with a single screen

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
This is a bit dramatic... He REALLLLLLY wants one huge image spanning across his 6 screens it seems...

I wonder how many people use more than 1 external monitor as well. I use an external display with my MBA, and occasionally Air Display with my iPad, but I really doubt there are many people using 6 displays...

That seems to be his most important requirement lol

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
His problems are odd.

- He cares a lot about the wallpaper in the background?
- He wants the apps splitted/extended between monitor?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
The only real issue is not being able to have an application spread across multiple monitors. That's the only issue for Apple to "fix".

They can't fix that without rethinking their new approach to fullscreen apps on multiple monitors. Think about it awhile and you'll understand.

Apple has received a lot of criticism on their multiple monitor support, but it's actually a very complex problem.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
While I can appreciate his dilemma, I love the (new) way it works now.

It makes so much more sense now, at least from my perspective.

Plus, it certainly appears there is a setting which let's it work in "Classic" ML mode or the "new" Mavericks mode, which kind of negates the complaint in my mind. Would it be nice if they could enable full screen app in the classic implantation? Sure, but I don't think I would have spent any engineering resources on it.

Karl P

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I don't see what this guys problem is.

One of the biggest complains people have had about the old version is this guys biggest complaint about the new version. People were complaining that they had to switch spaces on every screen when they just wanted to do it on one. The idea that you want all of your spaces to switch so that the giant background works correctly is ridiculous. It is working exactly how it should work.

The not being able to spread apps across screens is because of the fact that one screen can change spaces. If you've got an app open on two screens, and you change what space you are on with one of them, that would mean the part on the other screen would disappear... I think Apple opted to only allow it on one screen to prevent said scenario.

This is literally about the guy wanting his wallpaper to work correctly.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
^

Also, I don't think he's in any position to complain considering he doesn't even have his six monitors calibrated together.

Your comment is the most irrelevant to this discussion so far, and probably will remain so until the thread dies. Incredible.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
It's not the wallpaper. It is not being able to switch all monitors at the same time. You can't cover an array of monitors with a single space, and switch between spaces like you can now.

Both those 'problems' seems like they'd be easily solved at the app level. Doubtless someone will produce a menubar applet that will keep your spaces synchronized across monitors.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
His problems are odd.

- He cares a lot about the wallpaper in the background?
- He wants the apps splitted/extended between monitor?

I know right?

1) who cares?
2) How is splitting an app window across monitors helpful? As long as the app itself isn't contained to one screen, I am happy (ie two word docs on different screens)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.