Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Hi guys,

So.. I was going to buy the new MBA but putting it off for ANOTHER year :p Instead going to upgrade my uMBP again.

I dont want to spend to much money as im having to buy a new £100 battery for it anyways :( so please bare cost vs. performance in mind.

I've been look at this SSHD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-750GB-Momentus-Serial-Hybrid/dp/B0068QO82G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top its only £75 and has MASSIVE storage.

OR..

This SSD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Ser...TF8&qid=1371348580&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=sshd it has a third of the storage but is a complete SSD costing £50 more !

Any opinions on this or any help would really help me as im confused as to which is better value for money with regards to cost vs. performance.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Any opinions on this or any help would really help me as im confused as to which is better value for money with regards to cost vs. performance.
That's what it boils down to. Is saving money or performance the bigger priority? Even with the current exchange rate, £50 seems like a minor difference. YMMV based on your budget.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Thanks for taking the time to read the post :D
Go for the SSD if that's enough disk space for you. When you get a new computer you can always pull it out and put it an an external USB 3.0 enclosure and put the original disk back back in to your MBP before you sell it.

Otherwise go for the Seagate you linked. The 1TB version of it is only 5400RPM and can be slower in some circumstances.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You currently have a 160Gb HDD, right? Is it more or less enough for your needs? Then get the SSD, no questions. Get the bigger disk only if you absolutely need that much storage.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Depends on your storage need, obviously 840 will be faster, chances your mbp will run like new and you do not want to buy another notebook for a while. I do have a 2009 mbp 15" after putting in samsung ssd 830, it runs fast as wind blows, I could live with this for a while.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
You currently have a 160Gb HDD, right? Is it more or less enough for your needs? Then get the SSD, no questions. Get the bigger disk only if you absolutely need that much storage.

I've hit the limit a few times but only because of a fair few films, so 250GB should be enough.

----------

Depends on your storage need, obviously 840 will be faster, chances your mbp will run like new and you do not want to buy another notebook for a while. I do have a 2009 mbp 15" after putting in samsung ssd 830, it runs fast as wind blows, I could live with this for a while.

How did you go about moving over things to the new SSD? Was it hard? Also was it hard installing the SSD? (I'm still keeping the optical drive)

----------

Go for the SSD if that's enough disk space for you. When you get a new computer you can always pull it out and put it an an external USB 3.0 enclosure and put the original disk back back in to your MBP before you sell it.

Otherwise go for the Seagate you linked. The 1TB version of it is only 5400RPM and can be slower in some circumstances.

Good idea on keeping it after i sell it! Also is there actually a massive difference between the SSD and SSHD?

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Having had both SSHD and SSD in my Macs and other laptops, go with the SSD without a doubt since it sounds like space won't be an issue. The SSHD will provide a slight bump in performance here and there but after a while you'll likely think it's still too slow. SSD is a completely different experience, after going SSD I can't ever go back to a normal HDD or even an SSHD.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Having had both SSHD and SSD in my Macs and other laptops, go with the SSD without a doubt since it sounds like space won't be an issue. The SSHD will provide a slight bump in performance here and there but after a while you'll likely think it's still too slow. SSD is a completely different experience, after going SSD I can't ever go back to a normal HDD or even an SSHD.

Is i fairly easy to install? Bare in mind I'm keeping the optical drive(hate that they got rid of it) so would i just do a straight swap for the current HDD?

Scotty Pro

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I just installed a SSD in my Macbook at the weekend. The difference in speed to the HD is like night and day.

I just used Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my old HD and then transferred it back onto my new SSD, worked a treat. You can download Carbon Copy free and there is a 30 day grace period which is fully functional. Carbon Copy Download.

Or if you are running Mountain Lion you can make a restore USB disc or do it via the Apple Store.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Is i fairly easy to install? Bare in mind I'm keeping the optical drive(hate that they got rid of it) so would i just do a straight swap for the current HDD?

It's basically the same as any other swap. I put my SSD into an external enclosure, booted Mountain Lion Recovery (cmd-r), and used Disk Utility to restore the internal HDD to the new SSD. Once that completed I simply swapped the SSD in and it's worked like a charm ever since.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I've hit the limit a few times but only because of a fair few films, so 250GB should be enough.

----------

How did you go about moving over things to the new SSD? Was it hard? Also was it hard installing the SSD? (I'm still keeping the optical drive)

----------

Good idea on keeping it after i sell it! Also is there actually a massive difference between the SSD and SSHD?
Clone the internal drive to external ssd with enclosure, format the ssd thru
utility, then swap the drives.
Make sure the start up disk is highlighted thru system preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.