Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
5050
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks

Does OS X Mavericks compatibility with the "Early 2008 Mac Pro" include the MacPro2,1?

Thanks!
5050 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Umbongo
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: England
No. Early 2008 is 3,1.
Umbongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SciFrog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
MacPro 2,1 cannot install 10.8 either FYI...
SciFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
TheEasterBunny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFrog View Post
MacPro 2,1 cannot install 10.8 either FYI...
Unless you use Parallels, no muss no fuss solution for multiple OS's
TheEasterBunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Mac Mini Pro
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Zero chance 1,1 and 2,1 will be able to install it.
Mac Mini Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Genghis Khan
macrumors 65816
 
Genghis Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Our old Mac Pro's aren't actually that fast anymore.

My parents got a new Mac Mini recently (maxed everything out, except the SSD), and it scored similar geek bench results to my 2008 Octo core with an 8800GT.
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1
2.8GHz Octo, 10GB RAM, EVGA GTX660 SC 2 GB
Genghis Khan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
douglasgoodall
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
32-bit boot ROM is source of trouble

I have a Mac Pro 2,1 and I am stuck on Snow Leopard. The reason is that for a while Apple shipped the operating systems with both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the kernel. The Mac Pro 2,1 will never be able to run the 64-bit kernel because the EFFI32 boot rom just won't do it.

What I want to know though is where I can buy a USB3 adapter that will work in the Mac Pro 2,1.
douglasgoodall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgoodall View Post
What I want to know though is where I can buy a USB3 adapter that will work in the Mac Pro 2,1.
You would have to contact the third party manufactures and ask them about a USB3 and driver support for it.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
My parents got a new Mac Mini recently (maxed everything out, except the SSD), and it scored similar geek bench results to my 2008 Octo core with an 8800GT.
What that says to me, is not that they're slow, but they they're still perfectly capable of running modern Operating Systems and applications at a very usable pace.

My 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with upgraded processors gets over 10,000 on geekbench, which only a fraction under a 2012 15" Quad Ivy Bridge Macbook Pro Retina 2.3 Ghz. When your 7 year old machine is still able to run at that pace, it's comfortably good enough for prime time work.

Sure they're not miles ahead of the pack any more, but they're still in the same league as the modern machines most people use every day.
Snowshiro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Saltymac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rocky Mt State
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgoodall View Post
I have a Mac Pro 2,1 and I am stuck on Snow Leopard. The reason is that for a while Apple shipped the operating systems with both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the kernel. The Mac Pro 2,1 will never be able to run the 64-bit kernel because the EFFI32 boot rom just won't do it.

What I want to know though is where I can buy a USB3 adapter that will work in the Mac Pro 2,1.
You can go to Lion with a 2,1 - which gives you access to many of the current apps - however being "stuck" with Snow Leopard is OK if it is running the programs (apps) that you need to run. If I did not have a ipad mini, phone, iMac and pro that I want to keep in sync and use the messages feature I might still be using Snow as my primary OS.
Saltymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:06 PM   #11
greenmeanie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
My mac pro 1,1 is running Oracle Linux as a home server now.
greenmeanie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:56 PM   #12
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
What that says to me, is not that they're slow, but they they're still perfectly capable of running modern Operating Systems and applications at a very usable pace.
.....
Sure they're not miles ahead of the pack any more, but they're still in the same league as the modern machines most people use every day.
But were folks who need mainstream computational power the targeted users for the Mac Pro? Slow for whom is the more operative question.

Support for old system has little to do with "fast enough". It has to with:

i. dwindling number of those systems in active deployed use. system die over time and not all of them get repaired or passed down.

ii. parts availability dies off over time. Again leads to a general decrease in actually running deployed systems.

For example, the 3500/3600/5500 Xeons in 2009-2012 Mac Pros are being dropped from retail market this year. ( http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2...rocessors.html http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2...rocessors.html ). Apple won't be able to buy them this time next year. Where parts are going to come from to keep these systems running is from old system boneyards. The Mac Pro 2008 ( and earlier) are already in this state.

Desupported hardware doesn't tend to get new software. That isn't an Apple thing. It is a general industry thing. "Fast enough" completely ignores support costs and development allocation issues. If Apple slapped megabuck charges for "extended support" perhaps, but they don't engage in that sort of business at all.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I don't dispute a single word of that, but I'm not really arguing against your opinions. I'm just putting a different perspective from a different user (hence "what this says to me").

When I bought by Mac Pro in 2006, I was lucky enough to have been pretty much given a blank cheque by the company I worked for to go out and buy a machine to allow me to work from home. They also made it clear that it would be my machine and I'd be able to keep it if I ever left the firm. So, I pretty much went out and bought what was the best machine on the market at the time, reckoning that with upgradability and performance well ahead of the pack it would give me plenty of years of use before it became obsolete. Now, 7 years later, at the back end of 2013, I have a Mac which can still keep pace with what's required for the work I do.

That to me is exactly what I bought it for. I'm delighted that my old beast still manages to pull its weight, and come pretty close to what most PC users would get if they bought a fairly standard desktop machine today. And apart from having to do a little hackery to get the most recent OS onto it, it's been pretty plain sailing all the way.
Snowshiro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
kingtj
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Brunswick, MD
Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Bingo!

I'm definitely in the category of computer enthusiast and work in the field for a living. Yet I'm not one of the research scientists needing hard-core number crunching capabilities or an artist needing animation renders to take place as fast as physically possible.

I took out a personal loan to buy my first (2006) Mac Pro though, because I was that impressed with what Apple had done with OS X at the time, and wanted a high end system designed for it that would last a while.

In that respect, it was one of the best computer purchases I ever made. I finally resold that system last year (to another MacRumors forum reader, actually) -- but it ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for me that whole time I owned it without a single hardware problem. I upgraded video cards in it twice, and put an SSD boot drive in it, as well as upgrading the RAM to 12GB -- but it always kept pace with anything newer that came along.

Right now, I'm still using a 2008 Mac Pro which I purchased in '08 (because I was so pleased with the '06 machine), and this one serves as my every day "go to" computer for working from home as well as play. Depending on the price point the new Mac Pro comes out at, I might resell or trade this one in towards one of them -- but otherwise? This STILL meets my needs a bit better than any of the new iMacs do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
I don't dispute a single word of that, but I'm not really arguing against your opinions. I'm just putting a different perspective from a different user (hence "what this says to me").

When I bought by Mac Pro in 2006, I was lucky enough to have been pretty much given a blank cheque by the company I worked for to go out and buy a machine to allow me to work from home. They also made it clear that it would be my machine and I'd be able to keep it if I ever left the firm. So, I pretty much went out and bought what was the best machine on the market at the time, reckoning that with upgradability and performance well ahead of the pack it would give me plenty of years of use before it became obsolete. Now, 7 years later, at the back end of 2013, I have a Mac which can still keep pace with what's required for the work I do.

That to me is exactly what I bought it for. I'm delighted that my old beast still manages to pull its weight, and come pretty close to what most PC users would get if they bought a fairly standard desktop machine today. And apart from having to do a little hackery to get the most recent OS onto it, it's been pretty plain sailing all the way.
kingtj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:54 PM   #15
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Mini Pro View Post
Zero chance 1,1 and 2,1 will be able to install it.
Not exactly true. While there is zero chance to just install it like on supported machines, there is a 100% chance to install it using Chameleon (with a supported gfx card).

I'm running Mountain Lion on my 1,1 and I will run Mavericks on it as well when it comes out.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 Quad 2.8Ghz - 5770 - 12GB - 120GB SSD - 6TB
iPhone 6+ 64GB Gold
Apple TV3 / iPhone 4S - 16GB / iPhone 4 - 16GB
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Antoni Nygaard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
With some hacks you can make it run 10.8 and 10.9. Today i just upgraded my 2,1 to Mavericks GM
Antoni Nygaard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 06:15 AM   #17
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoni Nygaard View Post
With some hacks you can make it run 10.8 and 10.9. Today i just upgraded my 2,1 to Mavericks GM
Same here for my 1,1. I upgraded (dirty install) from Mountain Lion but so far so good. Only problem I came up with was that I needed to update SMBIOS.plist to show I have a Mac Pro 3,1 for it to install. Mountain Lion didn't care that I had 1,1 in it. Everything works super great!
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 Quad 2.8Ghz - 5770 - 12GB - 120GB SSD - 6TB
iPhone 6+ 64GB Gold
Apple TV3 / iPhone 4S - 16GB / iPhone 4 - 16GB
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #18
donw35
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to donw35
Hacking a Mac to run OS X, now that's funny, hey Mac 1 & 2 owners, welcome to hackintosh, of sorts.
__________________
08 Mac Book Pro, 11 Mac mini 8GB 120SSD, Hack Pro i7 3.2Ghz 5870HD 24GB 120GB SSD, Mac Pro 1,1 2x3.0Ghz 10.9.1 GT240 120GB SSD 8GB ,New iPad 4G 64GB, iPhone 5
donw35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #19
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw35 View Post
Hacking a Mac to run OS X, now that's funny, hey Mac 1 & 2 owners, welcome to hackintosh, of sorts.
So true. Quite frustrating because my setup is quite capable of running Mavericks. 3.0Ghz Quad Xeon still packs a bit of punch, 12GB RAM, ATI 5770, and SSD, all make for a quite useable machine. It'll retire mid 2015.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 Quad 2.8Ghz - 5770 - 12GB - 120GB SSD - 6TB
iPhone 6+ 64GB Gold
Apple TV3 / iPhone 4S - 16GB / iPhone 4 - 16GB
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 04:58 PM   #20
5050
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Mini Pro View Post
Zero chance 1,1 and 2,1 will be able to install it.
New software is available for your computer:

Migration Assistant Update for Lion

Zero chance?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1695
5050 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:57 AM   #21
iRabbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
...That to me is exactly what I bought it for. I'm delighted that my old beast still manages to pull its weight, and come pretty close to what most PC users would get if they bought a fairly standard desktop machine today. And apart from having to do a little hackery to get the most recent OS onto it, it's been pretty plain sailing all the way.
Same boat! And last year I updated all the hard drives and added more RAM and the machine runs great (mostly). I'm recently unemployed, so not in the position to buy a new Mac Pro at this point, and it's frustrating that it won't install Mavericks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
Not exactly true. While there is zero chance to just install it like on supported machines, there is a 100% chance to install it using Chameleon (with a supported gfx card).

I'm running Mountain Lion on my 1,1 and I will run Mavericks on it as well when it comes out.
I'd really love to know HOW... can you provide a link to find more information about this? I was going to upgrade my GFX card anyway... it's the one last thing I need to update in the machine...

Thanks!
__________________
Mac Pro, 2 G5s, 2 Minis, 2 AppleTV2s, several iPods, iPhone4, MacBook, MacBook Air, 1 iPad and 1 iPad2, and a partridge in a pear tree
iRabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #22
MacVidCards
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
The painful irony is that with a little bother, Windows 8 64 bit installs and run beautifully on a 1,1.
MacVidCards is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:25 AM   #23
mrdavidcoles
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRabbit View Post
I'd really love to know HOW... can you provide a link to find more information about this? I was going to upgrade my GFX card anyway... it's the one last thing I need to update in the machine...

Thanks!
Same boat - all my googling has turned up quite a few people that say they've done it, but no hints on the actual steps... anybody?
mrdavidcoles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:51 AM   #24
pastrychef
macrumors 68020
 
pastrychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City, NY
Here's a link to some instructions.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 2.93x12 - 48GB - GTX 680 - Crucial M550 SSD - Dell 3007WFP-HC
Alu MacBook 5,1 2GHz C2D - 8GB - 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 6 + 5 S⃣
pastrychef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #25
pstrglof
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
mavericks on 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoni Nygaard View Post
With some hacks you can make it run 10.8 and 10.9. Today i just upgraded my 2,1 to Mavericks GM
do you have any instructions on how to do this? thanks!!
pstrglof is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new Mac Pro - Mavericks as a VM in Parallels? michael_aos Mac Pro 8 Aug 9, 2014 05:30 PM
How stable is Mavericks on a 1.1 1.2 Mac Pro? koalb Mac Pro 14 May 20, 2014 05:22 AM
Mac Pro and Mavericks ssls6 Mac Pro 39 Nov 23, 2013 01:26 AM
Mavericks killed my mac pro tralfaz OS X Mavericks (10.9) 6 Oct 26, 2013 06:20 PM
Mavericks on 2012 Mac Pro? ddjohns1 Mac Pro 3 Oct 24, 2013 06:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC