Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we noted that photos of what was claimed to be the bare logic board of the iPhone 5S had surfaced, showing some changes to the board's layout compared to the iPhone 5 and perhaps even a slight narrowing of the board itself.

Several repair firms, including iHeart Repair, have shared with MacRumors a new set of images from a supplier showing the display assembly of the iPhone 5S. While the low-resolution images do not immediately reveal any significant changes to the technology behind the device's display, there is one item of interest supporting the claim that the logic board photos from earlier today are genuine.

iphone_5s_display_assembly.jpg
iPhone 5S display assembly
The iPhone 5 and 5S display assemblies each contain a pair of connectors on flex cables at the top of the part, supporting the display itself and the digitizer for registering touch input. On the iPhone 5 display assembly, both flex cable connectors are oriented horizontally and correspond to horizontal connectors on the device's logic board.

iphone_5s_5_logic_boards_front_top.jpg
iPhone 5S logic board (left) vs. iPhone 5 logic board (right)
Display/digitizer connectors boxed in red
On this iPhone 5S part, one connector is oriented vertically and the other horizontally. This corresponds to the logic board seen in the photos earlier today, with a vertical connector near the top inside edge of the board and a horizontal one along the top edge.

Apple's iPhone 5S is expected to appear largely identical to the iPhone 5 from the exterior, but Apple typically makes significant internal changes in its new models even when using similar casing parts. It appears that the iPhone 5S, rumored for release around September of this year, will be no different in that regard, although many specific details on the internals of the device have yet to be revealed given that the logic board leaked earlier today does not contain any chips or other components.

Update: Fanatic Fone has posted another set of comparison photos (via ETrade Supply) showing the display assemblies in much higher quality.

iphone_5_5s_display_assembly_large_1.jpg

iphone_5_5s_display_assembly_large_2.jpg

Article Link: iPhone 5S Display Assembly Surfaces, Appears to Fit Leaked Logic Board

AlligatorBloodz

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
I guess I will wait for the 6 then. I really want that goldilocks screen. One that is big enough to do some light reading while on the move, but small enough for my pocket.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
Good news that the screen size hasn't increased!

Improved battery would also be something with which they can differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Your not really floating my boat here MR... kinda need more then:

'Oh look it's a slightly modified logic board with the same chips as the iPhone 5, and here is a piece of glass with a screen behind it with some connectors that fit that logic board...'

Not very exciting really. The prospect of iOS7 on my current iPhone 5 is more exciting.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
people really need to stop buying iPhones for a while to send apple a message :p and thats me saying being on my 4th iphone generation ^^

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
But KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said it would have a fingerprint scanner! This is obviously 100% fake.

:rolleyes:

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
doesnt look like it does connect to me? the top horizontal connection looks too close to the vertical compared to the front display connectors.

edit: actually, looking at it further, the red boxed square is around the wrong connector - should be on the one on the right and a bit lower, not the left.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
im sure we all know the routine already :D

Agreed. There will be nothing new with the iPhone 5s other than faster internals, a slightly bigger battery that will give us 30 minutes more life if we turn everything off and dim the screen to 10%, and the exact same "everything-else-that's-in-the-previous-model" that we always get with the "S" models.

If you're looking for something new, wait for the 6.

AlligatorBloodz

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
I wonder if they will even hold a press conference specifically for it, or just announce it next to something bigger. I feel like everyone knows what they are going to say. "Faster processor, great battery life that lasts all day long, and we did it all for $199*.

*With 2-year contract

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Oh joy,

Still the same clickable button...way to go Apple.

I'm sick of replacing the damned things.

H

What in the world are you using your phone for? I'm not saying you're a liar or anything but I've honestly never had any problems with any of my 4 iterations and they've all been heavily used. I've also not heard of this problem from any of the dozens of iphone users I know.

carguy0625

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
the wrong connector is highlighted

Attachments

• iphone_5s_5_logic_boards_front.jpg
    iphone_5s_5_logic_boards_front.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 9,114

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
I don't care. Just make it black and silver. Get rid of that cheap, crappy slate anodising...

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
3GS - improved internals, faster, better cameras and extra features to take advantage of better innards. Easily supports all latest iOS features.

4 - cosmetic redesign only

4S - improved internals, faster, better cameras and extra features to take advantage of better innards. Easily supports all latest iOS features.

5 - cosmetic redesign only

5S - ?

:cool:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Your not really floating my boat here MR... kinda need more then:

'Oh look it's a slightly modified logic board with the same chips as the iPhone 5, and here is a piece of glass with a screen behind it with some connectors that fit that logic board...'

Not very exciting really. The prospect of iOS7 on my current iPhone 5 is more exciting.

You aren't entitled to exciting news. You get what is out there. If you are dissatisfied there are other things to do in life. If you want more news or more interesting rumors go find them and submit them to this great website that everyone appreciates more than yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.