Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5S Display Assembly Surfaces, Appears to Fit Leaked Logic Board

Earlier today, we noted that photos of what was claimed to be the bare logic board of the iPhone 5S had surfaced, showing some changes to the board's layout compared to the iPhone 5 and perhaps even a slight narrowing of the board itself.

Several repair firms, including iHeart Repair, have shared with MacRumors a new set of images from a supplier showing the display assembly of the iPhone 5S. While the low-resolution images do not immediately reveal any significant changes to the technology behind the device's display, there is one item of interest supporting the claim that the logic board photos from earlier today are genuine.

iPhone 5S display assembly
The iPhone 5 and 5S display assemblies each contain a pair of connectors on flex cables at the top of the part, supporting the display itself and the digitizer for registering touch input. On the iPhone 5 display assembly, both flex cable connectors are oriented horizontally and correspond to horizontal connectors on the device's logic board.

iPhone 5S logic board (left) vs. iPhone 5 logic board (right)
Display/digitizer connectors boxed in red
On this iPhone 5S part, one connector is oriented vertically and the other horizontally. This corresponds to the logic board seen in the photos earlier today, with a vertical connector near the top inside edge of the board and a horizontal one along the top edge.

Apple's iPhone 5S is expected to appear largely identical to the iPhone 5 from the exterior, but Apple typically makes significant internal changes in its new models even when using similar casing parts. It appears that the iPhone 5S, rumored for release around September of this year, will be no different in that regard, although many specific details on the internals of the device have yet to be revealed given that the logic board leaked earlier today does not contain any chips or other components.

Update: Fanatic Fone has posted another set of comparison photos (via ETrade Supply) showing the display assemblies in much higher quality.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Display Assembly Surfaces, Appears to Fit Leaked Logic Board
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

OMG, you mean they're making a new iPhone?!

Get out!

In all seriousness, seems like they'll be on-track for another September release.
GeekLawyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
LagunaSol
Banned

Please don't make it thinner.

Use the space savings for extra battery volume.
LagunaSol is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Yeah it's about that time to start seeing parts surface
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
AlligatorBloodz
macrumors regular

I guess I will wait for the 6 then. I really want that goldilocks screen. One that is big enough to do some light reading while on the move, but small enough for my pocket.
AlligatorBloodz is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
arbitter
macrumors regular

Good news that the screen size hasn't increased!

Improved battery would also be something with which they can differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd.
arbitter is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
apolloa
macrumors 601

Your not really floating my boat here MR... kinda need more then:

'Oh look it's a slightly modified logic board with the same chips as the iPhone 5, and here is a piece of glass with a screen behind it with some connectors that fit that logic board...'

Not very exciting really. The prospect of iOS7 on my current iPhone 5 is more exciting.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
bushido
macrumors 603

people really need to stop buying iPhones for a while to send apple a message and thats me saying being on my 4th iphone generation ^^
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
iMaconApple
macrumors 6502a

im sure we all know the routine already
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
harrisondavies
macrumors regular

Oh joy,

Still the same clickable button...way to go Apple.

I'm sick of replacing the damned things.

H
harrisondavies is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #11
mrat93
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mrat93
But KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said it would have a fingerprint scanner! This is obviously 100% fake.

Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:13 PM   #12
DieAllianz
macrumors member

ok. again no fingerprint sensor on this years iPhone, and with this no NFC and no mobile payments solution from apple
DieAllianz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:13 PM   #13
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

All day battery, wireless ac, yada yada.
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Pez555
macrumors 65816

doesnt look like it does connect to me? the top horizontal connection looks too close to the vertical compared to the front display connectors.

edit: actually, looking at it further, the red boxed square is around the wrong connector - should be on the one on the right and a bit lower, not the left.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

"Double-down my ass!"
nepalisherpa is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaconApple View Post
im sure we all know the routine already
Agreed. There will be nothing new with the iPhone 5s other than faster internals, a slightly bigger battery that will give us 30 minutes more life if we turn everything off and dim the screen to 10%, and the exact same "everything-else-that's-in-the-previous-model" that we always get with the "S" models.

If you're looking for something new, wait for the 6.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:16 PM   #17
AlligatorBloodz
macrumors regular

I wonder if they will even hold a press conference specifically for it, or just announce it next to something bigger. I feel like everyone knows what they are going to say. "Faster processor, great battery life that lasts all day long, and we did it all for $199*.

*With 2-year contract
AlligatorBloodz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Otis Bagotis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisondavies View Post
Oh joy,

H
What in the world are you using your phone for? I'm not saying you're a liar or anything but I've honestly never had any problems with any of my 4 iterations and they've all been heavily used. I've also not heard of this problem from any of the dozens of iphone users I know.
Otis Bagotis is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:20 PM   #19
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisondavies View Post
Oh joy,

H
What exactly are you doing to your phone? I've never had this happen with my iPhone 4 or 5.
chrisbru is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #20
carguy0625
macrumors newbie

the wrong connector is highlighted
Attached Images

carguy0625 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #21
spetznatz
macrumors regular

I don't care. Just make it black and silver. Get rid of that cheap, crappy slate anodising...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:22 PM   #22
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502a

3GS - improved internals, faster, better cameras and extra features to take advantage of better innards. Easily supports all latest iOS features.

4 - cosmetic redesign only

4S - improved internals, faster, better cameras and extra features to take advantage of better innards. Easily supports all latest iOS features.

5 - cosmetic redesign only

5S - ?

BMcCoy is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieAllianz View Post
ok. again no fingerprint sensor on this years iPhone, and with this no NFC and no mobile payments solution from apple
I do mobile payments from my iphone all the time
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
Your not really floating my boat here MR... kinda need more then:

'Oh look it's a slightly modified logic board with the same chips as the iPhone 5, and here is a piece of glass with a screen behind it with some connectors that fit that logic board...'

Not very exciting really. The prospect of iOS7 on my current iPhone 5 is more exciting.

You aren't entitled to exciting news. You get what is out there. If you are dissatisfied there are other things to do in life. If you want more news or more interesting rumors go find them and submit them to this great website that everyone appreciates more than yourself.
Klae17 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:23 PM   #25
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I'm so excited! But I'm really hoping for an October release as that's when my early upgrade is. Thinner parts are looking good!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion