Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splendorlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
I'm getting a free Ipad 2 from the current Dish Network promotion arriving tomorrow. I'd like to find a way to upgrade to an Ipad Retina even if I have to pay to do so. You think there's any chance I could exchange it at an Apple Store or Best Buy or something?

Recommendations?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm getting a free Ipad 2 from the current Dish Network promotion arriving tomorrow. I'd like to find a way to upgrade to an Ipad Retina even if I have to pay to do so. You think there's any chance I could exchange it at an Apple Store or Best Buy or something?

Recommendations?

I doubt it but you can sell the iPad 2 and use that money to purchase an iPad 4.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
I won a 4th gen iPod back in the day and traded it unopened at an apple store for the iPod photo and paid the difference. Give it a shot. The worst they can say is no.

Splendorlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
I do plan to at least give it a try. I looked on Ebay but it appears to be undervalued a bit there, even brand new and unopened. I may only be able to get about $325 or so for it there, in which case maybe I'd just keep it and live with having an Ipad 2. I don't have any kind of Ipad at all right now, after all!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple sells the 16GB WiFi for $399 so don't expect to get more than $350, even less on eBay. It's not a desirable iPad anymore with the 3 and 4 being discounted by resellers recently so weak market. If you open it then take another $75 off. That's expensive cellophane. Keep it sealed.

Splendorlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, if it looked like I could get $350 for it I would be happy. Since the Apple Store wouldn't let me exchange, I knew I would not get the "full" $400 value for it.

But even $350 may be a stretch on Ebay, even unopened!

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Considering I can get a 'brand new' refurbished with full warranty direct from Apple for 319, I think eBay is overvalued, not under.

Let's hope Apple gives you a full value swap price.

Splendorlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Believe me, I'd be turning that money around to get a Ipad 4 refurb, but refurb and NIB are still two different things. So are you saying the value of all Ipad 4s is also only as high as the refurb cost?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Believe me, I'd be turning that money around to get a Ipad 4 refurb, but refurb and NIB are still two different things. So are you saying the value of all Ipad 4s is also only as high as the refurb cost?
A refurbished device from Apple comes with a full 1 year warranty. A used device comes with whatever is left of its warranty. So to me a refurbished device is worth more than a used one.

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
A refurbished device from Apple comes with a full 1 year warranty. A used device comes with whatever is left of its warranty. So to me a refurbished device is worth more than a used one.
True, you also know that the refurbs have been extensively tested when the unopened products haven't

Splendorlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Well, I have a factory-sealed Ipad 2, not a used one!

I did elect to put it on Ebay and just pay the difference to get the latest model. Thanks!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
The market is down right now because lots of people are excepting ipad 5 within the next few months.

Even a new 2 is "almost" 3 models behind. I really enjoyed the size of my 2 the best so far. Hoping for a thinner 5.

Unload your 2 and wait for the 5.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
If it is still sealed, you may be able to exchange it at an Apple store. But it would need o be sealed in the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.