Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I will not stay with yahoo mail for much longer as they are really pushing me to "upgrade" to the new email version where you need to agree to have your email scanned for targeted advertising and for the three letter agency :rolleyes:
They invalidated the Search Inbox function and present me with the UPGRADE splash screen instead in last days

I can set up IMAP mail and pull my 10+ years of email into Mail on my MB Air and then close the account
Then, I would like to use my own domain email solution with 1&1 with the same email database, is this possible by just changing the mail server info ?
(E.g. I would like go to mail Inbox and reply to an old email from my new email address).
Of course, now I need to think about mail backup etc.
Any recommendations how to handle this unevitable transition ?

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I can't help you with your technical questions but what I've done is to leave the "free" email services completely. I now use an encrypted paid service. There are several out there but this one: https://countermail.com/ seems to be well respected.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Gmail. I left Yahoo 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I also have a Microsoft Exchange account through my school, but I only have that as long as I'm a student. My gmail account might have been compromised once, but changing to two step verification has prevented anything since. Google hasn't pushed me to upgrade anything except for the look of the site. It still functions exactly the same.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will not stay with yahoo mail for much longer as they are really pushing me to "upgrade" to the new email version where you need to agree to have your email scanned for targeted advertising and for the three letter agency :rolleyes:
This is no different then gmail, I'm not sure why yahoo is incurring the wrath of consumers yet so many of those consumers rush to gmail. I personally am against this and don't use gmail.

Anyways you have your choice, use a free service that may or may not scan your email. if they don't now they may in the future.

The other option is go the route you appear to be going, creating your own domain, and using a web host.

To transition, why not set your local email client to POP and download all your existing emails into a mail box on your computer and then direct any new communications to your new email address, or am I not understanding the issue sufficiently?

~Mike

Daud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I would not touch gmail for the identical privacy reason. I switched to startpage as seach engine not to give google any more info than needed.

Mike, what you describe is exactly the way I am going. The $24/year price for the meail package is worth it.
I need to try whether what I tried to describe and you rephrased, will be working. Will Mail (set for my new email address) protest if i will try to reply to an old message sent to the previous email address ?

From reading macintouch, there is no worthy replacement for Eudora and people gravitate to Mail after a while. Also need to find out how to reliably back-up the mail, Time machine or separately some folder..

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I can set up IMAP mail and pull my 10+ years of email into Mail on my MB Air and then close the account
Then, I would like to use my own domain email solution with 1&1 with the same email database, is this possible by just changing the mail server info ?
(E.g. I would like go to mail Inbox and reply to an old email from my new email address).
Of course, now I need to think about mail backup etc.
Any recommendations how to handle this unevitable transition ?

I would sign up with your new e-mail provider and temporarily have two IMAP accounts on your MBA. I would think that you should then be able to drag & drop your old e-mails into suitable IMAP folders of your choice in your new account. Then, scrap the old Yahoo account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.