Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of the Jony Ive-led streamlining of the iOS user interface, the designer himself has seen his job title receive a redesign as well. Ive is now the Senior Vice President of Design at Apple; previously, he was SVP of Industrial Design.

jonyoldnew.jpg
Jony Ive's Biography Page from Apple.com (Old: Left)
Ive received a promotion of sorts back in October when he was put in charge of Human Interface teams -- software design -- in addition to his previous duties as head of Industrial design (via 9to5Mac).

Article Link: Jony Ive Gets Title Change, Now Senior Vice President of Design

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
That was Jony's intention all along. His title was too long, so he fought with Scott Forstall just so he can shorten his title.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Forstall's wringing his hands somewhere

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2012-10-29-at-10.44.33-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2012-10-29-at-10.44.33-PM.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 271

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess the elimination of "industrial" gives the title more universal duties. Rather than manage hardware with extra software duties, he's official in charge of the entire package. Makes sense.

It's amusing to read all the negative comments about the look of iOS 7. So many people were clamoring for Ive to bring a new look to the iPhone software. I think he's done well so far (well, him and marketing...), but many others don't seem to like it. I'm not sure there was any way for Ive to design something that would make everyone happy. It would be either too much like Android or too much like a jailbreak or too much like Palm.... All I want is an OS that's simple and intuitive. If Ive can deliver that and make it visually pleasing, I'm happy.

M

Mr.damien

6 Months and he already consider himself a senior UI Designer.

Can't be more humble than that ...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If Ive is Vice President of design who the hell is president of design?

Apple's top tier corporate hierarchy is a bit different. Tim Cook is the only chief officer (CEO), followed by 9 SVPs (and then VPs, directors, etc.).

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
Usability is more important than design

If iOS7 is the future of OSX, we are in serious trouble.

Putting the marketing team in charge of UI design...well there's not much more to say.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Pretty sure his title is Sir Jonathan Ive. Do the US recognise knighthoods?

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Good for him. iOS 7 looks fantastic. By the time it ships it will be much better. Haven't been this excited about an iOS update in years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.