Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrlm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Hey there,

I am pretty new to home recording and I just got a second hand Tascam US-1800 pre amp. Someone else had it so my computer at least recognized the pre amp, and earlier in garage band it was picking up the electric guitar but there was no sound. I fooled around with buttons for a while and now somehow my computer won't even recognize the pre amp.

I have no clue what changed but I'd love some suggestions.

Thank you!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey there,

I am pretty new to home recording and I just got a second hand Tascam US-1800 pre amp. Someone else had it so my computer at least recognized the pre amp, and earlier in garage band it was picking up the electric guitar but there was no sound. I fooled around with buttons for a while and now somehow my computer won't even recognize the pre amp.

I have no clue what changed but I'd love some suggestions.

Thank you!

The us-1800 is not a "pre amp". It is a USB Audio interface. It does have some built-in preamps.

It could be that the unit is broken. Let's find out. Click the Apple icon at the upper left then "About This Mac" then get a system report and look atthe USB devices andsee if the us-1800 shows up there. un-plug it and get a new system report and see that it goes away, plug it back in and refresh the report and it will be back.

It it does not show up then the us-1800 is broken. If it does show up then for certain the system "sees" the audio interface

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.