Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

banapple!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Hi all! I'm thinking of selling my 2012 MBA 11" and am just hoping for some advice on what would be a fair price. It's my first time selling a laptop online so hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here :)

It's the 2012 model, 11 inch, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD. 3 months old and under warranty and in perfect condition.

I've checked the completed listings on ebay, but not too many have sold in the last week. About a week ago sales of over $1000 were normal, but I imagine that the release of the 2013 model may have changed this.

Thanks for any advice! I just want to sell it for whatever's fair!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Seeing as you can get a similar model refurbished for $799 directly from Apple. I would say you should probably sell in the range $750-900.

Refurbished 11.6-inch MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Originally released June 2012
11.6-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1366-by-768 resolution
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel HD Graphics 4000
$799

I don't think anyone would be willing to pay more since the 2013's were just released, you never know though. Are you located in the states? I would probably try Craigslist first and see how that goes. I'm reluctant to sell big ticket items online.

You should also specify if the box and/or any accessories are included. That will effect the asking price.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Hi all! I'm thinking of selling my 2012 MBA 11" and am just hoping for some advice on what would be a fair price. It's my first time selling a laptop online so hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here :)
Collective wisdom?

You're being far too kind, it's sheer guesswork when the model is so new. :D

Remember, in a free market, just when you least it expect it you could get a lot, or not so much.

The market is what dictates the price. I'd list it and if you don't get any solid responses in a few days, lower the price.

banapple!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks guys! No, I'm in Australia, but we do have Craigslist and similar here. The 128gb 2012 MBA is $889 in the refurb store here. Is the 256gb really not worth that much more? That upgrade cost $330 at the time, and the 256gb 2013 model is still $250 more than the 128gb version.

Any particular reason that you're reluctant to sell big ticket items online tgi? I'm so new to this! :)

maxosx said:
Remember, in a free market, just when you least it expect it you could get a lot, or not so much.
Yeah. Ebay is crazy, I have decided. A brand new 2013 base 128gb model just sold for only $950...and then a few hours later a 2012 64gb model sold for $900....

I know it's hard to predict pricing when the model released is so new. I guess I will just try listing it. But do you guys have any thoughts on whether it's better to try to sell now, or to wait a few months (when the 2013 model may have come down in price, or there may be a 10% off sale somewhere etc?).

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Is the 256gb really not worth that much more? That upgrade cost $330 at the time, and the 256gb 2013 model is still $250 more than the 128gb version.

Any particular reason that you're reluctant to sell big ticket items online tgi? I'm so new to this! :)

I'm sorry, I forgot that the the 2012 MBA's had a base of 64GB. The price I gave is probably on the lower side.

Reason for not selling big ticket items online is I have a friend who does a lot of business on eBay recently sold an iPhone to an international buyer. Buyer claims they never received item, my friend is out $600 and an iPhone. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take. I'd rather deal in person. That's just my personal preference though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.