Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

End call with sleep button?

Is it just me, or does ios7 no longer end calls when you press the sleep/wake button? That's how I'm used to ending calls (from ios6 and prior) and now when I do it it just locks the phone and keeps the call active. I know it's still a rough beta and this could be a bug, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same.
mrblack927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblack927 View Post
Is it just me, or does ios7 no longer end calls when you press the sleep/wake button? That's how I'm used to ending calls (from ios6 and prior) and now when I do it it just locks the phone and keeps the call active. I know it's still a rough beta and this could be a bug, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same.
Just curious...why not end calls with the End button?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
joshforman
macrumors regular

Pretty sure that never ended a call. It is much more likely that a person would press the button to lock the screen while on a call so they can put the phone in their pocket.
joshforman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
snappyfool
macrumors 65816

With or without headphones? In iOS 6, the sleep button ends a call without headphones, but merely locks the phone when you're using headphones.

If this is without headphones, try double tapping the sleep button. With incoming calls, single tap merely turns the screen off whilst a double tap forwards it to voicemail. They might have tried to make call behaviour more consistent with incoming call behaviour?
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
bmms8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
this is how i have always ended calls, ios6 and before. it still works the same just as always on beta 1 for me.

Like others have stated, if you have headphones it'll just lock of course.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
With or without headphones? In iOS 6, the sleep button ends a call without headphones, but merely locks the phone when you're using headphones.

If this is without headphones, try double tapping the sleep button. With incoming calls, single tap merely turns the screen off whilst a double tap forwards it to voicemail. They might have tried to make call behaviour more consistent with incoming call behaviour?
Without headphones. I know if you have a headset or headphones or speakerphone enabled then the sleep button will just lock it, but if you're just using regular old handset mode, the sleep button usually ends the call. That's how I always do it. It's like muscle memory for me now.

In ios7, this appears to no longer be the case. The double tab idea was a good thought, but I just tried it with no luck. Hopefully it's just a bug.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Arkious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Without headphones. I know if you have a headset or headphones or speakerphone enabled then the sleep button will just lock it, but if you're just using regular old handset mode, the sleep button usually ends the call. That's how I always do it. It's like muscle memory for me now.

In ios7, this appears to no longer be the case. The double tab idea was a good thought, but I just tried it with no luck. Hopefully it's just a bug.
mine works? without headset that is... ive always used that, and the volume buttons to mute it
Arkious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
auero
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshforman View Post
Pretty sure that never ended a call. It is much more likely that a person would press the button to lock the screen while on a call so they can put the phone in their pocket.
It's always worked like that. Why would you want to lock your screen during a call and put it in your pocket?

You could only lock the phone during a call with sleep if on speakerphone.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:48 AM   #9
snappyfool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkious View Post
mine works? without headset that is... ive always used that, and the volume buttons to mute it
Are you talking about a phone call, like the rest of us are? Volume buttons just change the volume.
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Arkious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
Are you talking about a phone call, like the rest of us are? Volume buttons just change the volume.
go and try ringing your phone and silencing it with the buttons... then you will find that volume buttons can also be used for silencing calls, not just adjusting volume or taking photos
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
go and try ringing your phone and silencing it with the buttons... then you will find that volume buttons can also be used for silencing calls, not just adjusting volume or taking photos
Right, but we're not talking about when the phone is ringing. We're talking about when a call is in progress, and you want to end it (aka hang up).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Arkious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Right, but we're not talking about when the phone is ringing. We're talking about when a call is in progress, and you want to end it (aka hang up).
ohh right, my bad.

when your reading through it, it seems daft why you would want to end a call with the lock button if there is a bigger end button on the screen, hence i thought you were on about a non answered call as you cant end it without answering it lol.

nvm then :P
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:17 PM   #13
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
ohh right, my bad.

when your reading through it, it seems daft why you would want to end a call with the lock button if there is a bigger end button on the screen, hence i thought you were on about a non answered call as you cant end it without answering it lol.

nvm then :P
Right, well it's actually really convenient because it also locks the phone. So instead of tapping "end call" on the screen and then pressing the sleep button to lock it, you can just press the lock button once and put it back in your pocket. I don't even look at my screen anymore when I'm done with a call.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:44 PM   #14
TonyC28
macrumors 6502a

Tapping the sleep/wake button 3 times will end a call. My girlfriend does that and I hate it. Why not just press the "end call" button and be certain that the call is ended instead of maybe still active and the phone just locked???
TonyC28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:49 PM   #15
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC28 View Post
Tapping the sleep/wake button 3 times will end a call. My girlfriend does that and I hate it. Why not just press the "end call" button and be certain that the call is ended instead of maybe still active and the phone just locked???
I don't know... seems a lot simpler to me. Why manually end the call and then sleep the phone when you can do it all in one fell swoop with the push of a button? You don't even need to look at the screen. Just press sleep while you're putting the phone in your pocket and done.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #16
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Looks like this bug was resolved in beta 2. Works like normal again.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #17
joshforman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auero View Post
It's always worked like that. Why would you want to lock your screen during a call and put it in your pocket?

You could only lock the phone during a call with sleep if on speakerphone.
Oh hey, you're right. I've never pressed it while on a call except with headphones. Color me corrected.
joshforman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:33 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Looks like this bug was resolved in beta 2. Works like normal again.
Didn't realize it was broken in beta 1, but good to know that it's all good again in beta 2.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Korican100
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
that never ended the call. I use to do that all the time when I give my two year old the phone and let her talk to her grandmother. so she wouldn't end the call by accident.

lol i can only imagine what your callers heard you say when you thought you hanged up. haha
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:54 PM   #20
outphase
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
that never ended the call. I use to do that all the time when I give my two year old the phone and let her talk to her grandmother. so she wouldn't end the call by accident.

lol i can only imagine what your callers heard you say when you thought you hanged up. haha
It ends the call if you're not on speakerphone. It locks the screen if you're on speakerphone.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:51 PM   #21
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outphase View Post
It ends the call if you're not on speakerphone. It locks the screen if you're on speakerphone.
Correct. When on speakerphone or using headphones (or just audio out, wired or not) it simply locks the screen. If you are talking on the phone "normally" via the earpiece holding it to your ear then it will in fact end the call (and lock the screen).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7