Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I'll be buying the PS4, really wanted the xbox One for TitanFall and the new Halo but really? DRM, 24 hour check-in, and kinect always watching you is just a turn off.
Who else wanted the Xbox one but went with PS4 due to these issues?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I will buy both because we always do that. I like being able to go back and fourth. If pressed to choose just one, it would probably be Xbox, overall the experience has just been better.

I kind of like the idea of Kinect watching us - i may talk to the guys at the feds from time to time if i am bored.:D

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
xbox. the drm shouldnt be an issue for me and i could care less about the kinect being always on.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
PS4.

But that was always the plan anyways. I prefer Sony's controllers and exclusive titles.

But if I had planned to buy an Xbone originally, all the stuff we have learned over the past few weeks would surely have changed my mind. I always viewed the 360 as a viable alternative to a PS3 - both great systems, just different exclusive games. The Xbone would NOT be an option to me now.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Happy with my Wii U/3DS and the games already out and coming out later this year.

Not excited by Sony or Microsoft's new consoles to pick them up day one. I may pick up a PS4 down the line if there are compelling games and the streaming game thing happens - would love a Netflix but for games by Sony that would perk my interest to buy some Sony hardware.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was hoping Microsoft would have backpeddled on some of their issues, but they didn't.

PS4, Wii U, Vita and 3DS will be my consoles.

Don't like DRM. Don't like not being able to upgrade the HDD. Don't like Kinect, don't like the idea of it always being on. Don't like that it's region locked. Never been keen on MS exclusives. I won't be getting Gold so I don't want to lose access to apps with that (Netflix etc).

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Probably both eventually

Gonna pick up the XBox One first though. The girlfriend and her whole extended family are addicted to Dance Central.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Pair of PS4s. This was always the intention, but I was planning on an Xbone for the living room as well (replacing a 360), but that won't be happening due to Microsoft's stinking attitude this time round and also a total lack of any interesting games that aren't cross platform.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Initially a PS4, but should Rare release Kameo 2 or Banjo Kazooie Or Viva Piñata game I may pick up the xbone sometime in 2014, but so far I have zero compulsion or desire for one.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'd probably get a PS4 if I was getting one. I dislike DRM. Especially DRM that's restrictive and puts companies in charge of the ownership of my games.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
it seems like the PS4 is leading in Pre-order sales.
I hope it keeps going like that, maybe it'll slap some sense on MS

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Apparently GameStop have ceased pre-orders for the Xbone in the US due to selling out of their initial allotment of consoles.

Of course, this sounds like good news for Microsoft, until you get to the bit that says each store only got an allocation of 16 Xbones, compared to 60 PlayStation4s. Maybe MS really are having yield issues? Nothing is going to hurt sales more than actually being unable to buy a console.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Of course, this sounds like good news for Microsoft, until you get to the bit that says each store only got an allocation of 16 Xbones, compared to 60 PlayStation4s. Maybe MS really are having yield issues? Nothing is going to hurt sales more than actually being unable to buy a console.

The people who can't get an XboxOne should consider themselves lucky.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Apparently GameStop have ceased pre-orders for the Xbone in the US due to selling out of their initial allotment of consoles.

I was just at GS - trying to scoop up the soon-to-be-collectible 360 games for cheap (no DRM)... ;)

The XBOne is selling briskly...

I was seeing what the general feelings are amongst XBox fans.

They seem to be interested mainly in the MS IP's so will buy a console for that. Some don't care about trade-in's or used (they don't do either). They have expensive high-speed internet, and only use and own one console at a time.

So yes, people are buying the XBOne...

I don't really get the "never" trade-in thing. I guess they'll just throw the "install discs" away when the server gets shut down.

At least with these type of people, we can still get the current collectible games at their garage sales or at curb-side... ;)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
PS4. I was on the fence, but the direction that Sony has laid out (in terms of pricing, DRM issue, the ability to play offline/online etc) seems to have clenched it for me.

Halo was the only appealing Xbox game to me anyways. And Halo's been done to death. It was a great franchise... but it's so last decade.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I was just at GS - trying to scoop up the soon-to-be-collectible 360 games for cheap (no DRM)... ;)

The XBOne is selling briskly...

I was seeing what the general feelings are amongst XBox fans.

They seem to be interested mainly in the MS IP's so will buy a console for that. Some don't care about trade-in's or used (they don't do either). They have expensive high-speed internet, and only use and own one console at a time.

So yes, people are buying the XBOne...

I don't really get the "never" trade-in thing. I guess they'll just throw the "install discs" away when the server gets shut down.

At least with these type of people, we can still get the current collectible games at their garage sales or at curb-side... ;)

Oh I agree, the Xbone will sell to those who are invested/interested in the IP and aren't caught up over the furore over DRM/always on etc. Yet only allowing 16 consoles per GameStop location isn't a good way to drive sales.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Oh I agree, the Xbone will sell to those who are invested/interested in the IP and aren't caught up over the furore over DRM/always on etc. Yet only allowing 16 consoles per GameStop location isn't a good way to drive sales.

Yes, but that's the Launch Day ferver where the XBOne will "quickly sell-out" - just like the Wii U did and Gamestop said that if you don't pre-order, you won't get one until April. A little over a week after the Wii U launch, I started seeing more again at different retailers.

I overheard the guy by our local MS Store who told his buddy over the phone that the MS Store has 97 allotted for it. Make sense as they're the only store in the area and there a lots of Gamestops...

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
okay, so MS decided to revert their policies. Anyone still buying their PS4, or are you guys going for the Xbox due to changes?

I'm going to stay with Sony on this one, Microsoft is being really childish with their ****. MS said they care about their gamers, yeah right. MS knew they were going down, so they had to do something about it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
okay, so MS decided to revert their policies. Anyone still buying their PS4, or are you guys going for the Xbox due to changes?

I'm going to stay with Sony on this one, Microsoft is being really childish with their ****. MS said they care about their gamers, yeah right. MS knew they were going down, so they had to do something about it.

I am still leaning ps4. Cheaper and better specs. Only games I want on xbone are Forza and halo but not a deal breaker as COD and GT6(7) will be on the 4

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I own a 360, and when the One was first rumoured my intention was to sell my 360 and move to the One. But when it actually got announced, there was no backward compatibility, and of course had the infamous DRM. Since I have to keep my 360 around anyway, and since it's $100 cheaper, I decided to try out the PS4 this time around.

Today's reversal hasn't changed my mind. The XB1 still costs more and still can't run my existing games, so I'm still prepared to buy a PS4 (and try out some of the franchises that I missed last time around!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.