Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
yg17
In Time-Out

TX Congressman: Abortion ban needed because masturbating fetuses

The Onion couldn't even make this stuff up:

Quote:
As the House of Representatives gears up for Tuesday’s debate on HR 1797, a bill that would outlaw virtually all abortions 20 weeks post fertilization, Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX) argued in favor of banning abortions even earlier in pregnancy because, he said, male fetuses that age were already, shall we say, spanking the monkey.

“Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby, and they have movements that are purposeful,” said Burgess, a former OB/GYN. “They stroke their face. If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain?”
http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/20...-abortion-ban/

The good news is, the republicans are talking about jobs again. The bad news is, it's hand jobs they're concerned with.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Life begins at fetal masturbation?
rdowns is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
renewed
macrumors 68040

The maturity thus far in this thread is astounding.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by renewed View Post

Apart from that, what's your view, renewed?

Do you think a 15 week old foetus is capable of masturbating? And if so, do you think the medical profession would agree?

And finally, do you think it's the kind of statement that reflects well on the congressman and the Republican party?
Blue Velvet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

We do indeed live in enlightened times.

A century ago Burgess would have demanded that all foetuses caught masturbating be aborted.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #6
renewed
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Apart from that, what's your view, renewed?

Do you think a 15 week old foetus is capable of masturbating? And if so, do you think the medical profession would agree?
Michael Burgess is an MD and I think his statement of a fetus being able to feel pain and pleasure is thought provoking. He is saying if they are stroking their face or having their hands between their legs, it's possible they feel. It's a theory based on observation.

Quote:
And finally, do you think it's the kind of statement that reflects well on the congressman and the Republican party?
I think this statement is one in the right direction; fighting for the life of those who cannot fight themselves.

I think it also shows how idiotic the liberal media is in the headlines and misquotes they are already spewing onto the internets.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Michael Burgess is an MD and I think his statement of a fetus being able to feel pain and pleasure is thought provoking. He is saying if they are stroking their face or having their hands between their legs, it's possible they feel. It's a theory based on observation.

I think this statement is one in the right direction; fighting for the life of those who cannot fight themselves.

I think it also shows how idiotic the liberal media is in the headlines and misquotes they are already spewing onto the internets.
It's also a theory based on absolutely no facts because a fetus cannot feel pain until 24 weeks. They must give out MD licenses in cracker jack boxes in Texas.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I have to question this whole idea.

Obviously, if the little buggers were abusing themselves in utero...they would all be born blind and with hair on their palms.

Since most male babies are not even nearsighted, that provides proof easily as good as the proof offered by the moron doc.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

Given your rhetoric, I'm not going to take issue with what you've said previous to this statement or whether you even fully understand the pro-choice position because I suspect I and others would be wasting their time.

However, I'm not sure what the misquotes are you are referring to. Are you suggesting that the congressman has been misquoted in this article and others or that his statement is being deliberately distorted by the press?
Blue Velvet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:56 PM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Forgive me if I have a hard time with a statement made from any of Texas' politicians. Between Perry, Cruz, Gomert and this clown it's like a race to stupid.

Odd, I was unable to find a story on FOX or Breitbart which is surprising given how the right wing media loves a good circle jerk.

Last edited by rdowns; Jun 18, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:08 PM   #11
bradl
macrumors 68030

Meanwhile, at a pregnant mother's 20 week ultrasound...

Nothing more needs to be said.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:15 PM   #12
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Why are stupid people in charge? I mean really, these people are dumb! How is it that these total morons get to positions of power?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
finishing your GOP motto... and after you are born no matter how undesirable the conditions, you're on your own kiddo.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:34 PM   #14
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

You know.....I'm sure that he had something in his head that sounded a lot more eloquent than what came out of his mouth.

Although I'm having a hard time imagining what that might have been.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Why would it be only male foetuses who derive pleasure this way? And since when has being a wanker been sufficient cause for salvation? Something decidedly off-key here.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes. That one post sure was immature.
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #17
localoid
macrumors 68020

Won't somebody please think of the fetuses?!?!111!!

Apparently, the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine published an article in 1987 entitled the "Sonographic observation of in utero fetal "masturbation", Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine".

This was one of the topics Mary Roach covered during the TEDTalks presentation from 2009 (see below).

Roach also notes in the video that (under certain conditions) dead persons can have an organism.

Perhaps we should rethink our practices RE:burying the dead...

Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:04 PM   #18
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Just when I thought I heard it all and people couldn't get any more stupid. What's worse, the stupid people in charge or the stupid people who elect and support the stupid people and their ideas?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Just when I thought I heard it all and people couldn't get any more stupid. What's worse, the stupid people in charge or the stupid people who elect and support the stupid people and their ideas?
"Every country has the government it deserves"
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:07 AM   #20
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

The bill passed through the House of Representatives, 228 yeas to 196 nays.

Six Democrats voted for it and six Republicans voted against it.

Or in other words, totally bipartisan.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:09 AM   #21
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The bill passed through the House of Representatives, 228 yeas to 196 nays.

Six Democrats voted for it and six Republicans voted against it.

Or in other words, totally bipartisan.
Where are the jobs?

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:00 AM   #22
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Now we know why some people are born blind.
Andeavor is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:41 AM   #23
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I do wish our representatives in government knew more science than a 15-week-old fetus....
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

The idea that a fetus can feel pain - or pleasure - doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. Why all the ridicule?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:39 PM   #25
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
The idea that a fetus can feel pain - or pleasure - doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. Why all the ridicule?
Because this:

"Scientific research generally indicates that the fetus is incapable of feeling pain until at least the 24th week."

"Fetal awareness of noxious stimuli requires functional thalamocortical connections. Thalamocortical fibers begin appearing between 23 to 30 weeks' gestational age, while electroencephalography suggests the capacity for functional pain perception in preterm neonates probably does not exist before 29 or 30 weeks"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_perception
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16118385

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues