Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hey,

Recently my external monitor (Asus MX239H) started displaying these strange color lines. I'm using it with my 2011 13'' MacBook Air. I connected the monitor with a mini display -> hdmi cable. So not with a adapter. I bought the cable from DX when I got the monitor about 2 months ago.

I've added a few photos from some youtube vids to display the lines. It was hard to get a right picture because they disappear quickly. This also happens when scrolling down the page. When I move the open vid to my MacBook's screen, the lines don't appear.

2qxxevq.jpg

2ppk4nq.jpg

2rrat4z.jpg

5wf79t.jpg

30bgwfr.jpg

5oe986.jpg

ibz800.jpg

k3sivk.jpg

I've googled around and found that recalibrating it might help, but It still didn't fix the problem.

Restarting the monitor helps, but the lines also randomly appear after some time.

Any ideas what this might be? The cable? The monitor? And how to fix it. I don't think its the laptop because there are no problems when using it's screen.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
Hey,

Recently my external monitor (Asus MX239H) started displaying these strange color lines. I'm using it with my 2011 13'' MacBook Air. I connected the monitor with a mini display -> hdmi cable. So not with a adapter. I bought the cable from DX when I got the monitor about 2 months ago.

I've added a few photos from some youtube vids to display the lines. It was hard to get a right picture because they disappear quickly. This also happens when scrolling down the page. When I move the open vid to my MacBook's screen, the lines don't appear.

I've googled around and found that recalibrating it might help, but It still didn't fix the problem.

Restarting the monitor helps, but the lines also randomly appear after some time.

Any ideas what this might be? The cable? The monitor? And how to fix it. I don't think its the laptop because there are no problems when using it's screen.

Thanks in advance.

take it back

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
did you find out what was it?
same problem here ,same macbook air

Oh hey, I didn't see you replied, should have quoted me, so I'd get a response. :p

Anyway, no I haven't found what it was.

The problem stopped for a while but came back a few days ago. I'm thinking it's the cheap cable. I'll buy a new one tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Did you fix yours? And what kind of cable are you using, with or without adapter?

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
I can't believe that ! I've the SAME configuration, same MBA and Asus monitor and the same PROBLEM ! I'm using a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and the configuration hasn't change at all when the problem started.
I'm sure the it is NOT a problem with my Asus display just because it works great with my AppleTV ;)
My only clue for now it the 10.9.2 update... but I'm not sure...

Let's keep in touch!

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I can't believe that ! I've the SAME configuration, same MBA and Asus monitor and the same PROBLEM ! I'm using a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and the configuration hasn't change at all when the problem started.
I'm sure the it is NOT a problem with my Asus display just because it works great with my AppleTV ;)
My only clue for now it the 10.9.2 update... but I'm not sure...

Let's keep in touch!

Haha, funny coincidence. :D

I fixed my problem by just buying a new ''mini display -> hdmi'' cable. The one I had was a cheap knockoff from dealextreme.

I bought a new one by a brand called Techlink. The cables are called ''iWires''.

Picture:

526422b.jpg

They also had white ones, but I couldn't find one for order in Holland. Wanted that color so it matched my other cables etc. :p but still, I'm just happy all works well now. I'm glad it's not the monitor, I like it very much and obviously it's more expensive to replace than a cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.