Apple Planning LinkedIn Integration for iOS 7 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Planning LinkedIn Integration for iOS 7

Apple appears to be building LinkedIn integration into iOS 7, though the feature is not active in the beta of iOS 7 that was released to developers last week. It is said to look similar to the social network integration that iOS currently sports for Facebook and Twitter.

Apple supposedly included Facebook integration in an early build of iOS 5, but it didn't make it into the final build because of failed negotiations between the two companies. Facebook integration was built into iOS 6.

9to5Mac, which originally reported the story, says iOS 7 users will be able to post content directly to LinkedIn via a share sheet. Apple has already announced LinkedIn integration for OS X Mavericks, so it would make sense to see similar integration in iOS 7.

Article Link: Apple Planning LinkedIn Integration for iOS 7
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Can't say I see this being all that useful. I'm fairly sure most of us post stuff to LinkedIn much less frequently than Facebook or Twitter. Unless you read a lot of business or industry articles most of us don't post much there at all. With over 1000 contacts on LinkedIn, I still don't see a lot posted to it on a daily basis.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
IMPOSSIBLEMAN
macrumors member

All I want is an API that allows me to share content to any app that can be used for sharing.I do not think it is hard, Apple.
IMPOSSIBLEMAN is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
It will be useful for business users.

"KIDNEYS! I've got new kidneys! ..I don't like the colour." -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Obi-Wan Kubrick
macrumors regular

Seems like a waste. There is absolutely nothing that ever needs to be shared to linkedin that would go on facebook or twitter.
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #6
wiz329
macrumors 6502

Nobody cares.
wiz329 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:48 PM   #7
djdsas
macrumors member

+1

I could care less about linked in integration!

APPLE...stop wasting time on bloated useless
Crapware and give me freakin missing features!

Like the last reply, I want

app document Sharing!
And:
QUICK REPLY!
Actionable notifications
More gestures

Apple, please take care of your base customers
With features that should have been implemented for years or I'm switching
To android. I need productivity, not gimmicks
djdsas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Brittany246
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Brittany246; Jun 20, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Brittany246 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Wolffie
macrumors regular

Request for knowledge

What is the point of LinkedIn?
I don't understand linking with your coworkers and friends.
I don't understand publicizing your resume.<This maybe my problem.

I barely use Facebook. Mainly to connect with people who i enjoy chatting with but are too far away to hang out with. I'm also on a night schedule rather than their 8-5.

Can someone enlighten me its use?
The only reason I have used it (before having to have an account to view a profile and listing who has seen your profile) was to find info on a person.
Wolffie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPOSSIBLEMAN View Post
All I want is an API that allows me to share content to any app that can be used for sharing.I do not think it is hard, Apple.
yep. Every year Apple does not add it they fall farther behind. Right now they are what 5 years behind Android in that department. Even father behind blackberry.
Hell even WP already has that.
MegamanX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:14 PM   #11
theinstructor
macrumors member

All linked in ever did was STEAL my contacts about a year ago. Last thing I want to see integrated are these sorry thieves.
theinstructor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #12
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

LinedIn = lame
jonnysods is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:30 PM   #13
starbird
macrumors 6502

I actually have twice as may LinkedIn connections as Facebook friends. And very little (10, maybe) overlap. I keep work "friends" off of Facebook. But will connect with customers, headhunters, coworkers, etc. on LinkedIn.

Adding it is likely very little overhead (or bloat). And makes sense. To be honest, I like it. And I am not surprised it will hit both OSs. I have a feeling that we will see more features that are in one in both. Perhaps even this fall. I think that iOS is further behind, thus a lack of commitment to features not yet fully baked. I honestly can believe that they would add quick replies to Mavericks and NOT iOS. And maybe it won't come in iOS 7, but it WILL come by iOS 8.

We have reached the point in mobile that each OS will start picking up the parts they had lower on the priority chart. The beginning was about differentiation. Now? The perceived missing features.

Exciting times, and I am glad to be living it.

On a side note: webOS was "ahead" of its time. I think it was super ambitious for a 1.0 and HP had zero clue what to do with it.
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
What is the point of LinkedIn?
I don't understand linking with your coworkers and friends.
I don't understand publicizing your resume.<This maybe my problem.

I barely use Facebook. Mainly to connect with people who i enjoy chatting with but are too far away to hang out with. I'm also on a night schedule rather than their 8-5.

Can someone enlighten me its use?
The only reason I have used it (before having to have an account to view a profile and listing who has seen your profile) was to find info on a person.
Headhunters use it as a tool to scout for candidates.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

If it is as unintrusive as FB or Twitter integration when not used, by all means, integrate away Apple! It would be nice to those who use it a lot!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #16
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post
Seems like a waste. There is absolutely nothing that ever needs to be shared to linkedin that would go on facebook or twitter.
Said the person who had zero business contacts. For me, this is moderately useful. For a few friends of mine, this is invaluable.
TXCherokee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:46 PM   #17
fontman
macrumors member

Waste of coders time Really

Apple time to start giving us reason to stay with the platform and eco system . Stop adding other companies crap . start building your own better please .
fontman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
lsutigerfan1976
macrumors 6502a

I second the idea of having a way to share to instagram and others. It should be as seamless as google android phones which have a share all type function. Where you can share to almost any app, as long as you install that program.
lsutigerfan1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Wolffie
macrumors regular

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCherokee View Post
Said the person who had zero business contacts. For me, this is moderately useful. For a few friends of mine, this is invaluable.
How? Can you give details how this is invaluable? Please.
Wolffie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #20
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
How? Can you give details how this is invaluable? Please.
For my part, I run an advertising agency and most of my clients are Australian. I linked to people they linked to, they saw that people they knew had endorsed my agency for certain skills and they got in touch. Over the past twelve months I would say that LinkedIn has probably upped our turnover by around 40%, and financially speaking it has been incredible.

That's why it annoys me when others on the forum say 'who cares?' Some people do care, a lot, yet too many people on here think that their opinion counts for everyone just because they don't use it. I don't use use Facebook but I'm not narrow minded enough to whinge at Apple's integration.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:39 PM   #21
aheying7
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPOSSIBLEMAN View Post
EVERYONE the sharing API already exists in iOS 6. Download Tumblr or YouTube and go to the camera roll and hit the share button.....they are both there.
aheying7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:48 PM   #22
filmantopia
macrumors regular

Well maybe it'll get me to update my LinkedIn more often. Thing is never up to date.
filmantopia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:50 PM   #23
MacGeek1987
macrumors member

LinkedIn may be useful for some, but I think Instagram integration would be more useful for the masses.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Albright
macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm not big on LinkedIn either. I use it whenever I need more work (as I do currently), but otherwise I never really touch it except maybe to update my work info now and then. I'm certainly not posting pictures or status updates to it.

I personally am hoping for Flickr integration, though I guess Instagram would be useful for the kids (get off my lawn).
Albright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:54 PM   #25
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool. Not only does it allow you to keep in contact with all kinds of business contacts but it's also one of the best ways to find a new and even better paying job. It allows us to network with people that can help us land that director or VP position at the company we want to be at. It allows us to keep up with industry news from those that are actually in the industry rather than the jumble of news you get elsewhere. The quality of items shared on LinkedIn has been shown to be much much higher than that on other sites like Facebook or Twitter. Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion