Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Guys,
I want to buy an iPhone , which I can use in india . Which iphone5 I should buy???

Is there any unlocked iPhone I can buy from apple???
How about AT&T ?? Or tmobile???
Since tmobile doesn't cone with the contract, I assume that it should be unlocked !!

Please advice ..thanks

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
TMobile iPhone 5 IS the new unlocked AT&T iPhone. there is no such thing as a "locked" T-Mobile iPhone 5.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Thank you guys.. But I m now confused...
Do apple sale unlocked??? Online or in store???

Or should I wait couple of months , there r rumers about new/cheap iPhone...

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010

It looks like Tmobile phone's are unlocked !!!

if you try to purchase IP5 from apple website, you get only 3 service provider. but if you select unlocked then it ask , with tmobile sim ? or no sim.

that means..if you buy a phone from tmobile store, you get the same phone as if you ordered unlocked for apple. Make sense ??/

on apple its $649, but at the tmobile store its $20 for 24months and $99 initial downpayment. so its $69 cheaper at Tmobile.
The only thing, you have to be a tmobile customer. i think they dont give just a phone....

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

if you try to purchase IP5 from apple website, you get only 3 service provider. but if you select unlocked then it ask , with tmobile sim ? or no sim.

that means..if you buy a phone from tmobile store, you get the same phone as if you ordered unlocked for apple. Make sense ??/

on apple its $649, but at the tmobile store its $20 for 24months and $99 initial downpayment. so its $69 cheaper at Tmobile.
The only thing, you have to be a tmobile customer. i think they dont give just a phone....

T-Mobile iPhones do not come unlocked. Apple just sells them for full price.

The down payment at T-Mobile now is $149

If you want an unlocked iPhone, but the factory unlocked one instead.

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

The ones at the T-Mobile stores are NOT unlocked. Try putting an AT&T sim card in one of them and it kicks you back to the 'Activation Required' screen. Only the ones sold directly from Apple are unlocked.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
The ones at the T-Mobile stores are NOT unlocked. Try putting an AT&T sim card in one of them and it kicks you back to the 'Activation Required' screen. Only the ones sold directly from Apple are unlocked.

I was under the assumption that the ones at the store are required to be activated using the TMobile SIM but then the slot is an unlocked GSM slot afterwards.

kissnoob

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
I was under the assumption that the ones at the store are required to be activated using the TMobile SIM but then the slot is an unlocked GSM slot afterwards.

Your assumption is wrong. I did test it on the iphone 5 Tmobile buying from Tmobile store. It is NOT unlocked. Putting ATT sim in it doesn't work.

I needed to request unlock through Tmobile customer service. After they sent me the letter of unlock completion (the same as ATT letter), ATT sim works without any issue

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
T-Mobile iPhones do not come unlocked. Apple just sells them for full price.

The down payment at T-Mobile now is $149

If you want an unlocked iPhone, but the factory unlocked one instead.

That depends on your credit class. I just dropped $300 per phone for me and the mrs this past weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.