Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-drm-used-games-reversal/

Microsoft's next game console, the Xbox One, is perhaps best known for its complex used game system and once-per-24-hour online check-in requirement. Today, it looks like Microsoft is rolling back those policies according to a report at Giant Bomb, and the company took to its Xbox blog to explain. "As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog," the page reads. The "in this blog" portion of that text links out to a new, still not live page on the Xbox news site with a URL reading, "update."

If it is true, this is good news. Xbox One80.

Last edited:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Wow. That's huge if true. Not just in terms of next gen competition but in a company the size of MS responding to customer outrage over a 'core' portion of a product.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hmmm I do wonder if this is true. MS hasn't really overturned a decision on any product not yet shipped like this before, have they?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Great news for gamers everywhere - too much permanent damage has been done for me already - I'm happy about this change, but know Microsoft's heart and real desire for the future of gaming is different from mine.

Very happy though ...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
MS hasn't really overturned a decision on any product not yet shipped like this before, have they?

Not recently that I know of. There is always a first for everything I guess and this might just be it.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Tis true. All the text since their site is loading slow at the moment.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One
By Don Mattrick, President, Interactive Entertainment Business posted June 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Hmmm I do wonder if this is true. MS hasn't really overturned a decision on any product not yet shipped like this before, have they?

This is really good. It goes to show how badly MS's pre sales were when a stubborn company like MS actually caves this quick. It means other publishers and game makers will be taking note and realizing how much a failure it will be if they try these measures.

This is good whether you are a playstation or xbox fanboy. Though maybe not so good for Sony that could have used having that good of a success (even if it was because of such failure attitude from the competition).

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Typical Microsoft - always out of touch with what modern consumers want. Just look at their lack of W8 coverage, lack of surface sales, and now this backtracking. They really need to fire their market research department.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Good news for everyone involved! We will all benefit from Sony and MS being strong competitors.

It's kind of embarrassing for them though, to have to backtrack like that. The only thing missing from a complete and utter loss of face would have been a new $399 price tag. :rolleyes:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
looks to be pretty chilly in hell now ... one could even say freezing...

chalk this victory up for the customers though .. i suspect the pre order numbers for the ps4 were talking a loud and clear message that was even heard in Redmond

though after this fiasco Don Mattrick will very likely be leaving his post rather sooner than later "to re-align his work life balance" or whatever the 'official' wording will be when getting reassigned to the Microsoft Siberia Research & Development Group

the question will be if they can get back the trust of their customers back fast enough. A lot of gamers turned away from them. Sure a big amount will turn back but 100% ?
Within _10 days_ Microsoft did a 180° and turned they strategy around completely. They could easily do that again once the console is released... i can hear the argument "they did it before" already now
the'll now have to rework their online system architecture, the console operating system, game developers will have to change their code etc.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
They could easily do that again once the console is released... i can hear the argument "they did it before" already now
the'll now have to rework their online system architecture, the console operating system, game developers will have to change their code etc.

They could, but they'd kill the Xbox One in the process. They need strong quarter to quarter sales during the life of the console so it's not like they can rope people in, then after the first year or two, switch gears again. The moment they go back to 'Plan A' sales will tank, the PS4 will 'win', and it will just be Nintendo and Sony going forward as MS will have lost all consumer trust.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I guess those pre-orders were more than a little shocking for them to ignore. The consumer wins. :)

Now we have a proper next gen battle again !! :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So no DRM but if you buy the disc you must use the disc to play the game. One step forward, two steps back.

I liked the concept of no difference between downloading and buying a disc in a store. What I had hoped is MS would figure out some way to attach a UDID or something to each disc and therefore you could have a reseller deactivate that game or something if you sell the disc. You could also create a marketplace to sell the license to that software through Microsoft if you bought a download.

This is what I wish Apple could achieve so we could sell used music, TV shows and movies. It's possible. It would just take a lot of negotiation with studios and software development.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
MS backpeddling like this now makes this a race again. Only time will tell if the damage already done can be reversed but I'm happy they took there foot out of there mouth.

Still that issue of price and the camera thing but oh well..

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MS backpeddling like this now makes this a race again. Only time will tell if the damage already done can be reversed but I'm happy they took there foot out of there mouth.

Still that issue of price and the camera thing but oh well..

Bless

Yeah it's $499 but that includes kinect 2, pS4 with the new PSEye is actually $469 so there actually isn't a huge difference and remember you'll need the camera to make use of the motion tracking stuff in te bundled dual shock 4

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So no DRM but if you buy the disc you must use the disc to play the game. One step forward, two steps back.

I liked the concept of no difference between downloading and buying a disc in a store. What I had hoped is MS would figure out some way to attach a UDID or something to each disc and therefore you could have a reseller deactivate that game or something if you sell the disc. You could also create a marketplace to sell the license to that software through Microsoft if you bought a download.

This is what I wish Apple could achieve so we could sell used music, TV shows and movies. It's possible. It would just take a lot of negotiation with studios and software development.

Short of new legislation, the studios would never yield. They have longed to see the second hand market die.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Yeah it's $499 but that includes kinect 2, pS4 with the new PSEye is actually $469 so there actually isn't a huge difference and remember you'll need the camera to make use of the motion tracking stuff in te bundled dual shock 4

For me personally, I've yet to see a game that requires the Kinect/PSEye that is of interest to me. I think the Kinect technology is very cool, but I just don't see it as being something I'd want to use on a regular basis. Also it creeps me out to have a camera/mic running in my house.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me personally, I've yet to see a game that requires the Kinect/PSEye that is of interest to me. I think the Kinect technology is very cool, but I just don't see it as being something I'd want to use on a regular basis. Also it creeps me out to have a camera/mic running in my house.

Especially given some of the channels available through cable TV ? I wonder if it will offer achievements for nookie on the sofa :D Got to go for gold! :D:D

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. The damage has been done. They're morons for thinking consumers would have initially been ok with the DRM and whatnot. The extra $100 doesn't exactly help either (I couldn't care less about kinect). It's still either a PS4, Wii U or PC for me.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. The damage has been done. They're morons for thinking consumers would have initially been ok with the DRM and whatnot. The extra $100 doesn't exactly help either (I couldn't care less about kinect). It's still either a PS4, Wii U or PC for me.

I would've been okay with it

Would've led to cheaper games 2 years from now.

Instead we get fixed $60-70 prices for the next 7 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.