Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
The Apple homepage image of the white iPhone has drop shadows - which make the flat icons stand out nicely from the wallpaper....

But when you click on "Learn more>" - the homescreen there has no shadows - and looks much worse.

Can anyone confirm?

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
To clarify with screen grabs....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 21.54.31.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 21.54.31.png
    463 KB · Views: 425
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 21.54.40.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 21.54.40.png
    532.6 KB · Views: 429

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
So the main homescreen image – which I had gradually grown to like after the initial first shock of seeing the new icons – is actually misleading everyone who visits the Apple site?

I hope they add the shadows back... :confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In fact, I have nothing but folders on my home screen and they look like ****.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The Apple homepage image of the white iPhone has drop shadows - which make the flat icons stand out nicely from the wallpaper....

But when you click on "Learn more>" - the homescreen there has no shadows - and looks much worse.

Can anyone confirm?
Good observation about the Apple homepage.

One of my complaints about IOS7 is that the icons blend in with many backgrounds. Drop shadows (if added) would address that issue.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Drop shadows? It's a FLAT re-design - does that help?

Apple ARE NOT going to re-design iOS 7 with drop shadows, so if you don't feel it appeals, either give it time or... well, do whatever you like.

Again, it's a FLAT design now... hope that gets it home :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Apple ARE NOT going to re-design iOS 7 with drop shadows, so if you don't feel it appeals, either give it time or... well, do whatever you like.

You might want to let Apple know since they seem between places with some of their own screenshots showing shadows and some not.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

The version of iOS 7 used for the keynote demos and developer sessions has drop shadows behind the icons. This is most likely a newer build of iOS 7 than the one released so far.

As far as I know Apple has never used the word "Flat" to describe iOS 7, in fact they use the word 'Depth' as one of the core repeated tenants of the new UI philosophy.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
You might want to let Apple know since they seem between places with some of their own screenshots showing shadows and some not.

Thank You!
My point EXACTLY.

The VERY FIRST image Apple is showing anyone and his dog who visits their site on their HOME page - shows the home screen icons with DROP SHADOWS.

THAT is where my confusion came from.

Talk about inconsistency from Apple... and while we're at it - talk about blind defensive responses on this message board – reminds me why I rarely post. :rolleyes:

----------

They showed up on Apple.com with and without drop shadows?

I didn't fake the screen grabs so... yes.

Look for yourself.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
As far as I know Apple has never used the word "Flat" to describe iOS 7, in fact they use the word 'Depth' as one of the core repeated tenants of the new UI philosophy.
And this is what leads me to believe Beta 1's lack of drop shadows is simply a bug or an oversight.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I'm guessing, but Apple showing what appears to be drop shadows on the iP5 on their landing page is simply their attempt to show dimension in the same way you see the icons float over a movable background on iOS 7.

I'm not sure drop shadows are what we want to have going forward, but there are clearly issues with readability when you use certain wallpapers. There needs to be a way for the system to compensate for lack of differentiation between icon/text and the background.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
I'm guessing, but Apple showing what appears to be drop shadows on the iP5 on their landing page is simply their attempt to show dimension in the same way you see the icons float over a movable background on iOS 7.

In other words, misleading.

And doesn't explain why the two images of the same phone at the same angle are different.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I've realised they DO have drop shadows under certain circumstances - with mixed background including pure white, the text beneath the icons over the white parts remains white but gains a drop shadow so it can be read, I didn't check if the icons themselves do.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
This picture also shows a shadow

compatibilityfooter_iphone_2x.jpg

Holding my phone up next to the picture, having no shadow looks a bit more harsh.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
That photo also shows the transparency working on the iPhone 4, which it doesn't (in this beta). They're just mock-ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.