Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnsranch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
My project is getting bigger (think big you might screw up and get there)
I have a web site with a lot of video format. At the moment it is about 15 different sub sites linked together. (don't assume I know what I am doing)

I want to be able to move the site onto USB Flash drives in the future. Will Dreamweaver do publish local for sub sites and link them together?

Also how is the video applications in Dream Weaver?

Thanks

Russ

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I'm not alone on an island (speaking as a professional, not a DIY) when I say the answer to any Dreamweaver question is: Don't use Dreamweaver.

The main reasons involve clunkiness and ancient means of accomplishing the simplest of tasks, i.e. Adobe still hasn't updated the Javascript code since they took over from Macromedia as evidenced by variables and functions atarting with "MM" - more to the point these days developers use jQuery and VideoJS and HTML5 to accomplish more with less. This, of course, is a broad statement and my opinion. That being said, if you encounter some negativity in responses here in the forum, don't be too surprised.

As to "publish local for sub sites and link them together" - please supply an example and better description, publishing is not normally done to "local", i.e. your sandbox on your computer running a LAMP setup for local development. Usually it's published to a remote site FROM your local. Subsites could mean a lot of different things (multisite format where different sites share docroot, name based virtual hosted sites, or simply a site at x.yourdomain.com and y.yourdomain.com each with unique docroot, etc.)

If you have templates in your Dreamweaver oriented web site(s) than remember that is proprietary so it's okay to export to a remote host, but you're married to Dreamweaver for future edits if you want to maintain automatic link correction between pages, etc., using that template system.

As to video, I am an advocate of coding my own solutions using VideoJS which is an HTML5 JS solution that uses the video tag but is the most cross-browser solution I've seen. It also has easy to use API for developers who like to customize, easy to style, loads fast and handles multiple formats with options to degrade seamlessly if a video format is not supported on the client.

In short, I would not rely on any widgets in Dreamweaver and of course stay away from Flash/Shockwave plugins/extensions to it these days as a primary solution (okay as a fallback in the client browser which VideoJS supports).

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
...the answer to any Dreamweaver question is: Don't use Dreamweaver.

Though good for a chuckle on this site, not very good advice. DW gets a lot of sneers from hipsters who think hand-coding is somehow better, but it is a pretty powerful tool -- when you know how to use it.

The main reasons involve clunkiness and ancient means of accomplishing the simplest of tasks... This, of course, is a broad statement and my opinion.

You should check out some of the newer versions. jQuery: check. CSS3 media queries: check. HTML5: check. (I know most people on MR have written off DW, but we shouldn't keep talking about it like it hasn't changed since CS1)

If you have templates in your Dreamweaver oriented web site(s) than remember that is proprietary so it's okay to export to a remote host, but you're married to Dreamweaver for future edits if you want to maintain automatic link correction between pages, etc.,

Not true. DW templates are an author-time convention; the resulting HTML simply has comments in it; ignored by other editors.

stay away from Flash/Shockwave plugins/extensions to it these days as a primary solution...

Nothing wrong with those as the primary and HTML5/jQuery as the fallback while more users* are on desktops than mobile.

*I'm discounting kids using facebook & twitter on mobile devices, which is the vast majority of mobile traffic, and often quoted by statisticians

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
There's nothing wrong with using Dreamweaver provided you're doing the coding yourself. I don't use the interface, just all hand coding.

burnsranch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Right now I am using XSitePro on a PC. The site is basically a video tutorial. I push the unlimited disk space limits LOL. I have 20 folders with five hours of videos in each folder and two hosting services I am using about 12 GB of diskspace. Xsitepro creates each folder as a website. That lets me upload sections and manages my satellite bandwidth limits.

I would like to just publish my site with better videos on a large USB flash drive and send it to future customers. I can publish the folders (websites) to flash wit xsitepro, but it does not publish the complete project, all 22 folders to the flash.

I needed to update my software and P.C. So I decided to switch to a mac, which I have always enjoyed working on. I don't care what software I use if the price is reasonable, but I need an easy web builder platform with video and the ability to publish the site to flash.

I have been out of the tech world for 13 years, but this seem to be basic functionality.

If there is better software, I will sure look into it.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Which Mac software do you recommend using?

Aptana or Komodo are fantastic professional IDE's to name just two. Both offer advanced features for doing all you said, plus team oriented CVS for both GIT and SVN, live file sharing, support for all the popular languages including all those discussed here, and many template systems such as RHTML, Template-Toolkit, HTML-Smarty and Django. The interfaces are much better organized and customizable and many more plugins available to extend functionality. Both are also actually cross platform compatible as well, so if one gig your PM gives you a MBP and another consultant job a PC, no sharp learning curve. And if you're working on your own Mac, both are stable, cache superbly and don't abuse your RAM.

:cool:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
RE: UTclassof89

I read all your comments, one by one. You're right on every count, technically. I think you missed what I was getting at -- big picture, DW makes for lazy developers, it should be a tool used to enhance code, not create it. There are too many buttons and a steep learning curve associated with the IDE compared to more elegant solutions by the competition.

HTML is the core of what we do as Web Designers/Developers so use that not a button or a menu item.

One important note about the templating system - while convenient and powerful and (as you noted) it exports professionally -- the issue comes when a client wants changes affecting layout and embedded links AFTER the initial launch, when you might have moved on to other gigs and technology stacks. You'll lose all the editable regions and child pages and have to take numerous additional steps to resolve issues and make changes. DIY's working one the same site, no issue. Professionals - they deal with real world issues where exported template based sites with hundreds of pages are marked as changed by the server resulting in increasing the size of incremental backups AND out of sync pages. Your PM will want you to move elements out of HTML and back into code for dynamic inclusion without being married to one methodology. Other template systems involve language constructs in this way integrated into the HTML so that frequent updating of content is smoother, believe me.

As happens in the professional world, which is and has been the content of my replies here. Never did I say DW doesn't have its audience. The reason I'm not debating point by point is because I freely admit if one is willing, one will love it. But I hope the points I raised offer a different perspective from a point of view shared by many for very valid reasons. Not just to bash for the fun of it.

burnsranch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Seniorwebdeveloper. I apoligize for ignoring that. I used be deep in the bowels of networking ans burned out and retired 13 years ago. I ended up doing maybe the last horsemanship apprenticeship from a dying horseman and am in the process of figuring out how to document an apprenticeship process. I know it can be done with the technology today.

I started on this last impossible project five years ago, and just picked some dos products that got me started. I am at the point where I have to upgrade the technical part of the project before it turns into mess like windows or IOS LOL

I switched to a mac platform, because it is a better tool and I am starting the search for the web part and the video editor.

I guess what I am looking for it a quality template system that front ends a professional core. I don't know if the industry as matured to that stage yet, as I have been out of it for 12 years and not in the user interface part. I just picked dream weaver as they are an industry leader, figured it was the place to start.

You have hit my issue correctly, I am a diy on the web development, but I also understand I need to start structuring my project so it can be supported in the future. I just have not figure out what that path is yet.

I have some new names to check out, and it really does not matter what product I use, as I will have to learn it from the ground up. I just want to use it as a tool as much as possible without learning another technical carear. (sorry for the spelling, I have depended on eudora for spelling for years and now it does not install on the new macs)

I do appreicate the input.

Thanks
Russ

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Seniorwebdeveloper. I apoligize....

Oh, please, no need to do that - this forum is for exchanging ideas, no single answer is always correct and no single developer/designers has the same needs and experience. I appreciate you explaining your situation, and based on that the newer DW (hoping your license permits you without spending any or too much hard earned cache) might be perfect for your needs. I noted two alternatives which happen to be great for Mac, and you can download trials and experiment. Otherwise absorb what I said and wait for others to chime in, they might recommend something I am completely unaware of, who knows! Thanks for writing me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.