Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Testing Expanded iPhone Repair Options Through Authorized Service Providers in Canada

Apple has launched an iPhone repair pilot program for Apple Certified Service Providers in Canada that will allow certain certified centers to offer iPhone repairs after store technicians have completed Apple-required iOS Certification.

According to a tipster, the third party service sites will be able to offer repairs for the battery, camera, speaker, and more, after the program launches in the next few weeks. In addition to passing an iOS Qualification exam, Service Provider technicians have also been required to attend several training sessions to learn how to disassemble the iPhone.

While the program is currently limited to Canada, it seems reasonable to suspect that it may roll out to other countries in the future should the test run prove successful.

Documents given out to technicians suggest that Apple is aiming to provide a quality alternate repair option for its customers in Canada, while cutting down on unauthorized Apple repairs.
Quote:
Program Overview - Goals
1. Provide APR with authorization to provide iPhone repair service to walk in customers as alternate channel
2. Provide same service level for iPhone as our Apple Retail Stores
3. Reduce proliferation of unauthorized repair centres and third party parts
Apple has furnished its Apple Certified Service Providers with a detailed set of rules and requirements that must be met, including troubleshooting all cases and providing same day service with a maximum of six hours in turn around time for devices with a warranty.

Out of warranty requests follow similar rules, with a 12-hour deadline for potential repairs. While the documentation estimates that the majority of repairs will be replacements, it requires each repair location to hit a Same Unit Repair rate of 10% or higher.

In early June, Apple began offering in-house iPhone 5 display replacements in an effort to cut down on repair costs. The company is also planning to offer additional same device repairs later this year, which could save more than $1 billion per year.

Apple's move to allow Apple Certified Service Providers to offer iPhone repairs is likely part of the same initiative, designed to cut down on overall repair costs while providing greater convenience to customers who might otherwise seek out unauthorized repairs. Even in the United States, few Certified Repair centers are able to offer iPhone service at this time, which could change as Apple continues to expand its repair options.

Update: According to a tipster, Apple's Canadian test run is an expansion of a beta test that began in the United States last year. Approximately 20 Apple Authorized Service Providers are able to execute iPhone repairs and offer unit swaps in the U.S.

Article Link: Apple Testing Expanded iPhone Repair Options Through Authorized Service Providers in Canada
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Djtrackie
macrumors member

No more:

"my phone doesn't work to well"

Genius: "did u reset network settings? Yes? Well here's a new phone"
Djtrackie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtrackie View Post
No more:

"my phone doesn't work to well"

Genius: "did u reset network settings? Yes? Well here's a new phone"
Exactly. Good thing.
HabSonic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

This looks like a very good move from Apple. Hopefully, this results in easier access & faster repair times for Canadian customers.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
blueinc
macrumors newbie

I think this is a very good idea. The reality is that too many people don't have access to an Apple Store. Heck, there even isn't one in my country, but there are a few authorized Apple re-sellers. So that means I have to go to 3rd party service providers who you never know what they replace in your iPhone.
blueinc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

I think the iPhone 5's scuffing problems have costed the great experience of exchanging for a like new refurbished phone just because a single button doesn't work....
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

When I first glanced at the chart, I thought the iPhone 5 had some problems.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68000

The shape of things to come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....Apple's move to allow Apple Certified Service Providers to offer iPhone repairs is likely part of the same initiative, designed to cut down on overall repair costs while providing greater convenience to customers who might otherwise seek out unauthorized repairs. Even in the United States, few Certified Repair centers are able to offer iPhone service at this time, which could change as Apple continues to expand its repair options.....

Article Link: Apple Testing Expanded iPhone Repair Options Through Authorized Service Providers in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinc View Post
.....So that means I have to go to 3rd party service providers who you never know what they replace in your iPhone.
I too would rather have my repairs done by APPLE themselves, but I realize that not everybody is conveniently located near an APPLE store, so overall this is a good thing, saving some people possibly a lot of time/headache.

Last edited by macs4nw; Jun 19, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Epsus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
I too would rather have my repairs done by APPLE themselves, but I realize that not everybody is conveniently located near an APPLE store, so overall this is a good thing, saving some people possibly a lot of time/headache.
Concerning repairs, I don't see how different it is to go at an Apple Store or an authorized workshop. Why would you rather go to an Apple Store?
Epsus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:43 PM   #10
kuhtang
macrumors regular

Still out of luck with a busted sleep button
kuhtang is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:44 AM   #11
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

I get a mild feeling of sadness whenever I se someone using a square root sign as a tick... I think I need to get out more.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:05 AM   #12
braddicted2mac
macrumors member

There are ready people in Canada who fix iPhones they may not be qualified but the do a damn good job !!! what incentive do they have to take courses and stuff? If you tinker you can open an iphone repair shop here !
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:23 AM   #13
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddicted2mac View Post
There are ready people in Canada who fix iPhones they may not be qualified but the do a damn good job !!! what incentive do they have to take courses and stuff? If you tinker you can open an iphone repair shop here !
I think the incentive is to carry the "Authorised" moniker
jonAppleSeed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:15 AM   #14
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabSonic View Post
Exactly. Good thing.
Thats what phone insurers do and Its never been a problem for them.
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:30 AM   #15
jasmine78888
macrumors newbie

Nice

it is really nice post i like this info i appreciate this post keep it up.........
jasmine78888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion