Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
I've done a search on the forums and can't find anything so i'm sorry if it's already been said!

I notice on Passbook you can "Scan Code", does anyone know what codes you can scan, what happens to them, how it's used etc?

Thanks in advance!!!

ByteArt

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
QR codes and bar codes, and if you scan a starbucks card it should add it to passbook. Haven't tried it yet.

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
if you scan a starbucks card it should add it to passbook. Haven't tried it yet.

Wouldn't you do this through the app? That's what you did before anyways.

I was thinking if you had for example, a Tescos Clubcard, which you can't add to passbook from the Tescos app.

If you scan the Clubcard barcode, this would add it to passbook for you. Is this what it is?

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
Wouldn't you do this through the app? That's what you did before anyways.

I was thinking if you had for example, a Tescos Clubcard, which you can't add to passbook from the Tescos app.

If you scan the Clubcard barcode, this would add it to passbook for you. Is this what it is?

I'd been wondering the same, so after I saw your post I tried scanning a Nectar card. It doesn't work, and says it only scans passes.

So I Googled QR Code Passbook and came up with some QR code images. One of them was for Subway discounts. Pointing the Passbook scanner at the screen, it immediately locked onto the code, and downloaded a 10% off voucher to Passbook!

Only problem is, it's only for Hong Kong, and I'm in the UK...

Nice way of extending Passbook functionality, though. See a poster with a QR code discount, scan, visit the shop!

Cheers,

Tiptopp

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
Ah right, that's probably for things like Harvester & Odeon. I know they are using vouchers in passbook.

However i don't understand why Odeon won't let you purchase tickets via the app and then add it to passbook. Bizarre for them to utilise passbook in 1 way but not the other!

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I just did want another member did, and searched google for some qr codes and barcodes. While majority of them, the app accepted, it stated "Code not recognised." And then underneath it stated "You can only scan Passes into Passbook. Look for the Passbook badge."

It's actually pretty nifty. Another thing I realised was that unlike most other QR Code/ Barcode apps where you have directly line up the code with the reader straight on, with the Scan Code in Passbook, your phone can be crooked and it will pick up. It will also pick up any codes it sees, so you don't have to be 2cm from the code.

daiichi

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
I just discovered this feature. Now I can move everything to passbook instead of using cardstar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.