Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Next-Generation 13-Inch MacBook Pro Benchmarked with Modest Performance Gains

As we noted last week, Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference came and went without seeing the introduction of updated MacBook Pro models, to the surprise and disappointment of many observers.

But just like with Apple's upcoming Mac Pro, benchmarks for an updated MacBook Pro have begun appearing in the Geekbench results database. The result was posted two days ago, and was noticed by pikeralpha (via forum member Sneakz) yesterday.

As with the Mac Pro, this MacBook Pro appears under a code name of "AAPLJ44,1" and appears to correspond to a 13" MacBook Pro, and while it is not exactly clear whether it refers to a Retina or non-Retina model, the two machines would perform roughly equally when using the same processor. Apple has, however, been rumored to be phasing out the non-Retina models, and if true this result would seem to point to a new Haswell-based Retina MacBook Pro.

The machine shown in the benchmark results is running a dual-core Intel Core i5-4258U processor running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of RAM and a Boot ROM dated June 5. Like the Mac Pro, this MacBook Pro is running a special build of OS X Mavericks, termed Build 13A2050.

Primate Labs' John Poole has put together a graphic showing how the Geekbench performance of this new machine compares to that of other recent 13-inch MacBook Pro models, revealing a 5-8% boost in performance compared to the previous low-end models while running at a lower clock speed.

As seen in the MacBook Air released last week, one of the major benefits to Intel's new Haswell platform is reduced energy consumption, with Apple choosing to offer only a modest boost in performance while bringing massive increases in battery life that see the new 13-inch MacBook Air reaching 12 hours or more of battery life.

It has been unclear exactly how Apple will prioritize battery life and performance in the MacBook Pro, but it appears that the company may be pursuing a similar strategy to that seen in the MacBook Air, boosting performance only slightly while pushing much of the energy savings into increased battery life.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro currently offers 7 hours of battery life, and while Apple may not be able to duplicate the 80% increase in battery life seen with the MacBook Air's switch to Haswell due to other power-hungry components such as the MacBook Pro's Retina display, the company may still be able to offer substantial battery life improvements in its new machines.

Article Link: Next-Generation 13-Inch MacBook Pro Benchmarked with Modest Performance Gains
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Nice. As said in the article, i don't think the battery life increase will be as huge as with the air, but if they add 2 hours or so that would be amazing
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Wow... soon they will begin making less-powerful computers just to accommodate design.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Wow... soon they will begin making less-powerful computers just to accommodate design.
What a bunch of nonsense.....

A majority of users who buy these computers have no need for benchmarks to go higher and higher.

Ya know what EVERYONE would love? More battery life. Apple is doing a great thing by pushing the envelope here. 12 hours in a laptop is unheard of (the new MBAs). If they can get a rMBP with this kind of power to 8-9 hours?

Slower clock speeds, more power AND more battery life. Again, Apple is doing it right.

Wow is right, though not the way you used it.

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is online now   40 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

This is good news.

Using the 28W CPUs means:

- Similar CPU performance at much lower power use
- Large increase in GPU performance

These CPUs have the HD 5100 Iris integrated graphics. Here's a comparison chart:

Thumb resize.

Leftmost bars are the old HD 4000 graphics.

Middle bars are the new HD 5000 graphics like those in the 2013 Air.

Rightmost bars are the HD 5100 graphics that will probably be in the new 13" retina.
Stetrain is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Haswell IPC = Ivy Bridge IPC + 10%

It's to be expected that the CPU gains are quite modest. Where there should be large gains are on the GPU side of the Haswell chips.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
crispytreat
macrumors newbie

I am really looking forward to the new 13" retina.
crispytreat is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
technowar
macrumors 6502

Ultimate question, when is it going to be announced/released?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It has been unclear exactly how Apple will prioritize battery life and performance in the MacBook Pro
Really?

And no mention of the fact that Apple is switching from a M-series CPU to a U-series one?

Going from 35W TDP to 28W is a considerable change. The new MBA only dropped 2W and look at the kind of battery life increase we've had.
pgiguere1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:38 AM   #10
BoxBrownie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispytreat View Post
I am really looking forward to the new 13" retina.
I'm looking forward to price of the retina display drop so I can afford it
BoxBrownie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #11
hockeyfanatic
macrumors member

The release date is the leak I'm interested in.
hockeyfanatic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by technowar View Post
Ultimate question, when is it going to be announced/released?
I am guessing along with the Mac Pro, they will launch around the same time as 10.9.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #13
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Very happy to see this. The battery life will be nice. Even getting 2 hours more would be fantastic.

I will be getting one once they update.
zedsdead is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Henriok
macrumors regular

I think Intel's doing a great job! Good work!
Henriok is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:41 AM   #15
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
So we should assume that the new Macbook Pros are coming in September only?
Because that's when Mavericks, iPhone 5S and Mac Pro are coming, right?
lcmazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:42 AM   #16
iMatt7
macrumors newbie

Let the whining fest begin!
iMatt7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
polymersayb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
This is good news.

Using the 28W CPUs means:

- Similar CPU performance at much lower power use
- Large increase in GPU performance

These CPUs have the HD 5100 Iris integrated graphics. Here's a comparison chart:

Thumb resize.

Leftmost bars are the old HD 4000 graphics.

Middle bars are the new HD 5000 graphics like those in the 2013 Air.

Rightmost bars are the HD 5100 graphics that will probably be in the new 13" retina.
Thanks!

I'm excited about the Iris graphics and the 28W processors. I'm still hoping for an upgrade to a stepped-down quad-core, but that wouldn't be the end of the world if they don't offer it. I'm a little concerned that the maximum RAM for that chip is 16GB... will Apple offer a 16GB upgrade option? I for one am not just buying this to have a retina Air—I'd really like to have a little bit of a performance boost over the Airs without going to a 15" form factor. Though I'm glad to shave a bit of performance in exchange for a boost in battery life, since I'm not going to be doing processor-intensive work that often.
polymersayb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Some don't like this.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:50 AM   #19
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Give it to me baby!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

until a few weeks ago I hoped Apple would man up and equip the 13'' MBP with a quadcore (iris pro would have been nice). As it seems, this is not happening but the Haswell U series seems the next best thing: bit of CPU improvement, huge graphics improvement and probably a longer batterylife. I only hope the price stays the same, as the new processor seems to be more expansive. But they managed to do that on the new Airs too
Wuiffi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Lycanthrope
macrumors 6502

Just to note than my 15" MBPr rates 500 higher on Geekbench under Mavericks compared to ML...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:56 AM   #22
ScottH1220
macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]Someone please give your advice or elaborate on this:
I am in the market for a new mpb. I don't need it this second but can't wait til the fall. Are they going to update the non-retina or simply phase it out? I want a non-retina model to save money plus i plan to use a larger external monitor most of the time. If they are going to go forward with only the retina I see no reason for them to put haswell in the non-retina. Should I buy now?
ScottH1220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:59 AM   #23
Sunday Ironfoot
macrumors regular

MacBook Pro wishlist:

- Major increase in battery life
- Slight CPU performance increase
- Significant discrete GPU increase (the nVidia one)
- Thunderbolt 2.0 and/or support for external 4K displays
- Quad Core + 16GB option for the 13" version

Nice to have:

- Slightly thinner/lighter
- Slight increase in Retina resolution
- Slightly cheaper
Sunday Ironfoot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:00 AM   #24
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
What a bunch of nonsense.....

A majority of users who buy these computers have no need for benchmarks to go higher and higher.

Ya know what EVERYONE would love? More battery life. Apple is doing a great thing by pushing the envelope here. 12 hours in a laptop is unheard of (the new MBAs). If they can get a rMBP with this kind of power to 8-9 hours?

Slower clock speeds, more power AND more battery life. Again, Apple is doing it right.

Wow is right, though not the way you used it.
nonsense? it's the truth
Asclepio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:01 AM   #25
hova
macrumors member

I was really hoping for the Iris Pro Graphics 5200, not HD 5100 Graphics
They could have a great differentiation between the Air with battery life and the Pro with power
hova is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion