Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Leading ‘Ex-Gay’ Organization Closes, Apologizes To LGBT Community

You heard right folks, I never in a million years expected this but it happened. The founder even gave a sincere, heartfelt apology.

Quote:
The board of Exodus International unanimously voted to shut down and announced that it will begin a new organization dedicated encouraging churches to “become safe, welcoming, and mutually transforming communities.”
Quote:
Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents. I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.
LINK
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Just saw that.

Whether or not the gay community accepts the apology will depend on each individual, but I think it was classy of Chambers to offer it.

And that's our feel-good news for today.
Thomas Veil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
GermanyChris
Banned

Doesn't make me feel good. I ruined a bunch of lives but hey I'm sorry..
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

While this is great news, I'm a bit perplexed here. How does a board (I'm assuming anywhere from 6-12 members) just up and decide to dissolve. What changed all their minds?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
While this is great news, I'm a bit perplexed here. How does a board (I'm assuming anywhere from 6-12 members) just up and decide to dissolve. What changed all their minds?
This is what I'm wondering as well. It seems like the whole organization had a major change of heart. And it was a unanimous decision too. Very interesting.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:48 PM   #6
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Maybe God blessed them with gay children of their own and now they see it's not a choice?
TheAppleFairy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFairy View Post
Maybe God blessed them with gay children of their own and now they see it's not a choice?
Maybe. Or maybe they just realized that being a bunch of filthy bigots is no way to live their lives.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Or, maybe their god came down and was like; "Hey... HEY! I said DON'T be a twatwaffle! It wasn't Opposite Day when I said it, so STOP BEING *******S!"
skottichan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
twatwaffle
That's a new word for me.
TheAppleFairy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
And now that you have learned a new word, to make it your own, you must use it 5 times a day in conversation for 3 days so it becomes part of your daily, working vocabulary.

Finding new friends, a new job, and re-connecting with family members after doing that really won't be too hard.

Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:21 PM   #11
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Sounds delicious! Mmmm! Can I have that with maple syrup?
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:23 PM   #12
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
And now that you have learned a new word, to make it your own, you must use it 5 times a day in conversation for 3 days so it becomes part of your daily, working vocabulary.

Finding new friends, a new job, and re-connecting with family members after doing that really won't be too hard.

Yeah I am at urbandictionary.com right now looking for clarification and how to use it.
TheAppleFairy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:24 PM   #13
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's a glorious word, even my mum uses it now. It actually slipped out when I was playing Tomb Raider, there is a scene in the game where you have to fight off this guy, and when Lara shot him, I was like "Take THAT ya twatwaffle!".

My roommate just stared at me before giggling herself into a case of hiccups.

I. regret. nothing.
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #14
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I'm wondering if anyone in charge of this place came out of the closet and accept who they really are?
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #15
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
This is what I'm wondering as well. It seems like the whole organization had a major change of heart. And it was a unanimous decision too. Very interesting.
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe. Or maybe they just realized that being a bunch of filthy bigots is no way to live their lives.
Quote:
Or, maybe their god came down and was like; "Hey... HEY! I said DON'T be a twatwaffle! It wasn't Opposite Day when I said it, so STOP BEING *******S!"
Or maybe they listened to what scientists have to say.... Nah.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Or maybe they listened to what scientists have to say.... Nah.
How could you ignore twatwaffle?

it's such an intriguing mix of words
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:57 PM   #17
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
DON'T be a twatwaffle!
Omg, this is my absolute new favorite-est word ever! I can't wait to use it in conversation!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
That's two for the price of one. The Twatwaffle that I think is tres fey, and the closing down of the ex-gay group. My week is made.

KGB
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:18 AM   #19
Zaid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Zaid
Does anyone know what the motivation for this (I'm assuming sudden) change of heart? Not complaining, just curious.

Wonder what the fall out amongst far right and fundie religious groups will be.

PS twatwaffle is a frikkin awesome word!!
Zaid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:05 AM   #20
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
How could you ignore twatwaffle?

it's such an intriguing mix of words
It was a long day at work yesterday... LOL - 'twatwaffle' does kinda roll of the tongue well. The problem is that I have meetings scheduled all day today, and I'll be stuck with a dumb-ass grin on my face the whole time...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:44 PM   #21
renewed
macrumors 68040

Website is still up and running like usual...

http://exodusinternational.org/about-us/
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:19 PM   #22
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by renewed View Post
Website is still up and running like usual...

http://exodusinternational.org/about-us/
Ugh...

Also, I love that my stupid little word makes everybody happy
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Sounds delicious! Mmmm! Can I have that with maple syrup?
Sorry, but as a gay man, there's no way that it can be made delicious. And, I'm even eating ceviche at this very moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

Wonder what the fall out amongst far right and fundie religious groups will be.
To be honest, I think even the most extreme right wingers are having to rethink the issue yeah, there are a lot of elderly Americans who will never be able to come to terms with 'teh gays' but, for those under the age of fifty, it's a non- starter.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:54 PM   #24
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You heard right folks, I never in a million years expected this but it happened. The founder even gave a sincere, heartfelt apology.

LINK
Nothing remotely sincere or heartfelt about his "nopology."

They're just rebranding under a new name - he still believes gay people should never have sex and shouldn't be allowed to marry. The goal now is celibacy instead of the conversions they never achieved.

He still claims Exodus did a lot of good. It destroyed lives and families. It drove people to suicide and preyed on children.

He thinks he has something to offer the LGBT community. He doesn't. What he owes us is nothing less than complete withdrawal from public life.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:48 PM   #25
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post
Does anyone know what the motivation for this (I'm assuming sudden) change of heart? Not complaining, just curious.
The journalist/documentarian Lisa Ling has a show called Our America that is on Oprah's network. She did an episode in 2010 entitled "Pray the Gay Away" that focused on Exodus and this issue in general. Just this week a follow up aired entitled "God and Gays" that specifically deals with Alan Chambers and his efforts to adjust the direction of Exodus International. I watched the episode last night and found it to be very interesting. He meets with a group of "gays and ex-gays" to hear their stories and deliver a personal apology. Here's a link.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues