Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Wins Prestigious Advertising Award for iPad Mini Magazine Campaign

Apple and TBWA Media Arts Lab have won a Grand Prix for Press award at the Cannes Lion International Festival of Creativity, one of the most prestigious awards in advertising.

The award is for the iPad mini campaign where Apple put actual covers of magazines on a life-size mockup of the mini to show how magazines could be read on the device. The ads ran on the back of the magazine from which they took their cover. A number of publications received the treatment.

AdAge reports that Apple won largely because, according to category judge Marcello Serpa, "we were looking at a piece that makes print, the category itself, a hero."
Quote:
Apple's iPad Mini campaign by TBWA Media Arts Lab won the Grand Prix in press, a category that the tablet once seemed designed to kill but now is offering what jury president Marcello Serpa described as redemption by enabling readership of print products.

[...]

Why it won: "It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."
Article Link: Apple Wins Prestigious Advertising Award for iPad Mini Magazine Campaign
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Nice. It was a great ad!

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
bchery21
macrumors 6502

It was a simple and clever ad.
bchery21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
chumawumba
Banned

Basically all they did was put the image of the cover in the iPad mini?

I guess their less is more approach actually worked.
chumawumba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Haven't you ever watched Mad Men? Smart people spend a lot of time and effort coming up with stuff like this! There was probably a lot of conflict and drama along the way, too.
Reason077 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #6
the8thark
macrumors 68040

I agree it's a great ad. Now we need google to have the same quality of advertising. And not the sub par stuff they have now.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
"It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

What a load or pseudo intellectualist bullshine.
Break it down in to sections. Means nothing. The Plain English Campaign would have a field day with that waffle.

Pretentious cak!

Thanks
BruceEBonus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why it won: "It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."
Wow, never thought of like that, smart guy.
To me. I only saw the ipad mini on the back, and it kinda says "you can also read me on ipad mini"
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I agree it's a great ad. Now we need google to have the same quality of advertising. And not the sub par stuff they have now.
And you base this on what? Armchair quarterbacking?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Funny how you don't see MS getting awarded for their recent ads...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #11
macse30
macrumors regular

So damn smart.
macse30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEBonus View Post
"It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

Break it down in to sections. Means nothing. The Plain English Campaign would have a field day with that waffle.

Pretentious cak!

Thanks
Agreed. "It's redemption"? Please.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Astroexe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
What, an award for noting that their device has a stand...
and
it
clicks?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post

I guess their less is more approach actually worked.
Basically all anyone does is just something, right?

Basically Apple just makes awesome devices.

Basically those guys in space suits just landed on the moon.
Drunken Master is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:33 AM   #15
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
All MS ads feature the iPad win win for apple.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:36 AM   #16
iAi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
All MS ads feature the iPad win win for apple.

MS is going to win so many iQuacking awards!
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Is a pretty slick ad.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:08 PM   #18
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Is a pretty slick ad.
I agree, pretty cool.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #19
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Pretentious cak!

Thanks
Sorry, but it makes perfect sense, and I don't see the pretentiousness at all. It's just how some people see things.
SgtPepper12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:41 PM   #20
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
And you base this on what? Armchair quarterbacking?
No need to be snide. Advertisers target people like you and I. And believe it or not, we know what works and what does not work. Cause we buy or don't buy products based on advertising. I and a lot of people I know look at google advertising and it makes us even less interested in what is being advertised.

Apple get it. Advertising in a way is art. People should be drawn to the advertisement itself as much as the product being adverted. I've seen a lot of good stuff done through google ads. But they way in which they advertise it is a big turn off.

So your comment is not really needed. We all get it if we think about it for a second.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Ubele
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Pretentious cak!

Thanks
From a semiotic standpoint (going beyond a purely traditional Sausserian definition of semiology, of course), the ad is brilliant: it deconstructs the opposition between print and a skeumorphic reinterpretation of print, and then reassembles them into synergistic Other that is simultaneously foreign and familiar, at least to Western sensibilities. To merely call it Postmodern is to diminish the non-ironic reference to Neoplatonism that has always been central to Apple's modus operandi (e.g., "It's magical!"). Only the imbecilic and the ignorant, having seen this ad, would claim that Apple no longer innovates.
Ubele is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:19 PM   #22
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Nice

Very Nice.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Adokimus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post

I understand the point you're trying to make, but equating landing on the moon to a clever idea for a magazine print ad is a bit of a stretch.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #24
thenewperson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post

This and the "aside from everything that's changed X is the same as X-1 before it" mentality of quite a lot of geeks can be amusing.
thenewperson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:09 PM   #25
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
No need to be snide. Advertisers target people like you and I. And believe it or not, we know what works and what does not work. Cause we buy or don't buy products based on advertising. I and a lot of people I know look at google advertising and it makes us even less interested in what is being advertised.

Apple get it. Advertising in a way is art. People should be drawn to the advertisement itself as much as the product being adverted. I've seen a lot of good stuff done through google ads. But they way in which they advertise it is a big turn off.

So your comment is not really needed. We all get it if we think about it for a second.
I wouldn't say Google ads are bad, but they don't inform me of a product or make me any more interested in buying/using it. They focus too much on making their ads into cute little videos that make you feel warm and fuzzy.

They're fun to watch and grab your attention, but don't actually do anything in the way of even showing a product aside from maybe a transparent Google+ logo on a laptop screen.
thisisdallas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion