Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum--I really need some help. I have a Macbook pro late 2011 model that came with a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. My computer was getting pretty slow after about a year and a half, so I decided to purchase 8GB of RAM and the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD to speed up my system. The RAM wasn't a problem, but I've had nothing but problems installing the Samsung SSD. First it wasn't recognized by my mac, then I realized I had to format it, but it wouldn't format because it was locked. I eventually had to format it on a windows computer and then reformat it using a mac. To make a long story short, I eventually got Mountain Lion installed on my SSD by connecting it to a usb and doing the whole process externally rather than having it done on the inside of my MBP. It works great when I boot up into OS X from the USB (I'm actually using it right now and it's great), but it will not boot up when I try to hook up the SSD to the eSATA connector on the inside of my mac. Does anybody know how to fix this? I don't want to have to boot up from the USB every time I use my mac. I tried to update the firmware on the drive, but it's Windows only... I'm a little lost :/

hollarwhat

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum--I really need some help. I have a Macbook pro late 2011 model that came with a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. My computer was getting pretty slow after about a year and a half, so I decided to purchase 8GB of RAM and the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD to speed up my system. The RAM wasn't a problem, but I've had nothing but problems installing the Samsung SSD. First it wasn't recognized by my mac, then I realized I had to format it, but it wouldn't format because it was locked. I eventually had to format it on a windows computer and then reformat it using a mac. To make a long story short, I eventually got Mountain Lion installed on my SSD by connecting it to a usb and doing the whole process externally rather than having it done on the inside of my MBP. It works great when I boot up into OS X from the USB (I'm actually using it right now and it's great), but it will not boot up when I try to hook up the SSD to the eSATA connector on the inside of my mac. Does anybody know how to fix this? I don't want to have to boot up from the USB every time I use my mac. I tried to update the firmware on the drive, but it's Windows only... I'm a little lost :/

Please let me know if you figured this out! Having the same problem!
Thanks!

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
You need to post details on your MBP too, year and model. The SATA bus varies from yr. to yr. Technically, its SATA III or SATA II, not eSATA. Also, post where the SSD was installed internally, in the HD bay or using an adapter in the Optical drive bay? With a few exceptions the Optical drive bay can be problematic for SATA III drives due to poor shielding, but the HD bay should be OK.
You may have one or more of the following issues:
1. A bad drive, 2. A bad SATA cable, it does happen, 3. need a firmware update for the SSD, can be found - look in the MacBook Pro forum for the Samsung 840 thread for a link to the iso DVD updater for Mac, it does exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.