Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I got new MacBook Pro (retina) laptop yesterday in replacement of my older model MacBook Pro 15" (high-res), Apple even transferred all my data from old computer to a new one..

now my question is, some of application for example "Entorage" my folders/emails fonts there isn't as crispy as let's say Chrome browser, it's almost like this application running in much lower resolution then the rest..

am I missing something? Is there a way to address it?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Some of the apps need to be redesigned by the developer to support the new retina display and make it look amazing! If they dont have a retina version, there there is really not much you can do (as far as I know)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Nope, you're not missing anything. That's the downside to Retina, apps that aren't Retina-aware or updated to support it will look pretty crappy because they're having to be scaled up, much like what happens when you enlarge a small image.

Office 2011 has been updated for Retina, but I wouldn't expect similar updates to happen for older versions that are no longer supported.

alexus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
so, is there a solution for this? I can switch fonts that Entourage is using to "retina-aware" fonts, I'm not sure which one is it...

I can't use newer version of office, as it doesn't work w/ our exchange version(

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
No, the app has to be updated to support the Retina display. You can't fix it without moving to a newer version of the app.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Entourage is part of Office 2008 and earlier versions. Microsoft has not "retinized" any other version than Office 2011 (and I'm a little surprised they did that but that's another story).

Even Adobe has not updated Acrobat for the retina display. Hopefully as retina displays become more prevalent apps will get updated and then look a whole lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.