Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreadPiratePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Hey gang,

I'm trying to use my viewsonic VP201b on my 15" mac powerbook running Tiger (it works great on my wintel box). The problem is I can't get the resolution to go above 1280x1024 using the Digital Video out on the PB. My mac recognizes that it could go that high, but when I try, the screen blanks on the vp201b. Anyone seen this before? I've found posts on the net that:

1. Seems like other people have gotten this to work

2. I'm aware that it won't be able to rotate the screen.

...I can get it to go to 1600x1200 by using a DVI -> Analog converter, but man, it looks like crap. I'd really love to use this digital out. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Look in the displays system preference and see if it says show only recommended resolutions. If this is a PowerBook with only 64MB of VRAM, it may not have enough power to go at that resolution using DVI.

DreadPiratePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply- Its a relatively new (less than a year old) 15" PB with the ATI Mobility 9700 with 128Mb of ram. I couldn't find that option you suggested in the display preferences panel. As I said, the OS seems to recognize the monitor (at the top of its display settings, it says "VP201b", and gives reasonable choices for resolution. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.