Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Leeds, UK
Hello,

I've been away from the Mac scene for a few years, but have just taken delivery of a new 13" MacBook Pro to replace my other two laptops (and very nice it is too!).

However, I have a Windows Home Server 2011 machine that runs my file sharing and backup.

I have installed the WHS connector onto my Mac and can access the files, but I do have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I have to load the WHS connector or "connect" to the Samba share in Finder every time I reboot the Mac, is there anyway to automatically mount the share so that it appears in Finder whenever I need it?

I need this because my iTunes library is on there, and it's a bit of a pain to have to manually connect to the server first before opening iTunes.

Secondly, WHS is my backup machine, therefore I'd like to use Time Machine with the WHS, looking online, there's a few guides from when OS X 10.8 was first released, but I wondered whether there were any easier ways as of yet?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for any help!

urbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Leeds, UK
I'm surprised there's no way to use it as a Time Machine target, my older WHS (HP MediaSmart) supported this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.