Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
iphoneuserinyyz
macrumors member

Question re locking of screen in iOS 7

One thing that has always irritated me about iOS to date has been that when I have the phone plugged in (e.g. in the car), there is no way to stop the screen from autolocking (except to go into settings and disable autolock). I have always wanted a setting that would automatically stop the screen from autolocking if the phone was connected to a power source. I haven't heard about this setting in iOS 7, so I am assuming nothing has changed in this regard. Can anyone with access to the beta comment?
iphoneuserinyyz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoneuserinyyz View Post
One thing that has always irritated me about iOS to date has been that when I have the phone plugged in (e.g. in the car), there is no way to stop the screen from autolocking (except to go into settings and disable autolock). I have always wanted a setting that would automatically stop the screen from autolocking if the phone was connected to a power source. I haven't heard about this setting in iOS 7, so I am assuming nothing has changed in this regard. Can anyone with access to the beta comment?
Nope no such setting.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
LastZion
macrumors 6502a

Why? So you can control your music?
LastZion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
sawah
macrumors 6502a

I'd like this also for the music app, or a way to use the volume buttons as skips.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawah View Post
I'd like this also for the music app, or a way to use the volume buttons as skips.
Control Center can be used without unlocking the device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	418797  
Swiss-G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:23 PM   #6
iphoneuserinyyz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastZion View Post
Why? So you can control your music?
No. I generally listen to podcasts in the car. The podcast app I use (Downcast) will keep the screen from locking as long as I am in the app (which I like, so I can switch from one podcast to another without having to unlock the phone). But when a call comes in or I place a call, the iPhone switches to the phone app and then the screen will lock. Because I have a passcode set, it is not easy (or safe!) to unlock the screen while I am driving.
iphoneuserinyyz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
ominx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No. I generally listen to podcasts in the car. The podcast app I use (Downcast) will keep the screen from locking as long as I am in the app (which I like, so I can switch from one podcast to another without having to unlock the phone). But when a call comes in or I place a call, the iPhone switches to the phone app and then the screen will lock. Because I have a passcode set, it is not easy (or safe!) to unlock the screen while I am driving.
Well you can now set the passcode lock to only activate after a certain length of time. 1, 5, 15 mins etc. So that should help your situation a bit.
ominx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Waughy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominx View Post
Well you can now set the passcode lock to only activate after a certain length of time. 1, 5, 15 mins etc. So that should help your situation a bit.
That's not new to iOS7. I set mine to require the passcode after 5 mins. That's not working at the moment, it acts as no passcode has been set and unlocks as soon as you swipe. I've tried the 1 min etting and it's the same, so at the moment I have it set to always ask. A bit of an annoyance, but it's beta 1, I'm sure it'll be sorted before GM.
Waughy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My iPhone 5 both with iOS7 and the last version of 6 does not turn the screen off when playing music in the car. I have a standard Lightning to 30 pin connector and an ebay 30 pin to USB and audio connector.

When the iPhone is connected to the Lightning connector and music is playing (Music app left on the screen) the screen brightness drops to just readable after a few minutes but the screen remains on. If a call comes in then the screen turns off and locks after the call (Grrr!) and music continues. Same deal with audio books - the screen remains on while connected to power.
daviddth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
iphoneuserinyyz
macrumors member

To me, the behavior of the music app is the way things should be. I wish that the phone app acted the same way and didn't lock the screen automatically if the phone is plugged in.
iphoneuserinyyz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
ominx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waughy View Post
That's not new to iOS7. I set mine to require the passcode after 5 mins. That's not working at the moment, it acts as no passcode has been set and unlocks as soon as you swipe. I've tried the 1 min etting and it's the same, so at the moment I have it set to always ask. A bit of an annoyance, but it's beta 1, I'm sure it'll be sorted before GM.
wow, I don't know how I missed that before. I guess I wasn't looking

Don't want to derail the thread, but, fyi, it is working perfectly for me. I have it set for 5 minutes and it works as it should. I wonder if it's working because I never used it before and old 6 settings aren't messing things up?
ominx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Stuke00
macrumors 65816

Hmm I don't think mine locks when the power is plugged in. The screen goes very dim but I don't recall it locking.
Stuke00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

I wish the screen would stay lit when playing music while powered.
Why bother displaying the album art if you can't see it?
There should be two different auto-lock settings -- one for powered and one for not and the auto-dim should be disabled.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:08 PM   #14
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waughy View Post
Slightly off topic, but, yeah, I've noticed this happening off and on. Sometimes it won't really lock at all, other times it will work fine.

Sometimes, if not often, I've noticed restarting the phone gets certain things back into a working state (if they stopped working or aren't working correctly).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7