Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hi, I have 2 questions:
1. What is the best version of iMovie for my dual 2Ghz G5? Consider speed, compatibility, the look of the software, and how many features it has. Don't say iMovie 09' just because it is the newest because as a matter of fact it runs SOOO slowly on my G5.
2. What is the best apple video editing software overall for my G5? This includes Pro apps (FCP and FCP Express) Consider the above as well.

Thanks

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I thought they were too slow and couldn't even do proper web browsing and were outdated... ;)
Just use your vastly superior Intel Macs... ;)

Last edited:

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I thought they were too slow and couldn't even do proper web browsing and were outdated... ;)
Just use your vastly superior Intel Macs... ;)
I already have FCPX on my MBP, the G5 is my bros and I want to teach him video editing...problem?

----------

Will you edit HD or SD? Have you even looked at FCE and FCP?

Yes I have, IMHO they seem too complicated, I would prefer iMovie TBH.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I already have FCPX on my MBP, the G5 is my bros and I want to teach him video editing...problem?

Yes, I do have a problem actually, you.

A good simple, powerful video-editor would be Openshot but thats Intel(Where's my worship mat!?) only, after that I'd say iMovie 6 HD.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Yes, I do have a problem actually, you.

A good simple, powerful video-editor would be Openshot but thats Intel(Where's my worship mat!?) only, after that I'd say iMovie 6 HD.

Ok il consider iMovie HD 6, as a matter of fact one of my best friends *had* that on his PBG4 before it unfortunately died.

----------

What do you think is better, iMovie HD 6 or iMovie 08'?
Thanks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Ok il consider iMovie HD 6, as a matter of fact one of my best friends *had* that on his PBG4 before it unfortunately died.

----------

What do you think is better, iMovie HD 6 or iMovie 08'?
Thanks

Well, iMovie '08 was more of a redesign and had features re-written or completely removed so I think iMovie HD 6 is better.

SaberBlock

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Northwich, Cheshire, UK
I'm surprised you don't get on with iMovie '09 :confused: - it's a bit slow rendering but in terms of editing and putting everything together it's really responsive on my Dual Core 2.3 G5, I'd prefer that over iMovie HD 6 any day.

After Effects 7.0 runs well too - again, slow on the rendering but the interface and editing experience is nice and snappy.

I've edited 20 minute + 720p videos on both iMovie '09 and After Effects and it's not been bad at all (rendering aside). SD stuff (640x480) really flies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.