Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I bought my MBA a couple of days ago and out of the box it had about 80% battery.

I've not had to charge it yet as I've only been using it lightly... eg. just playing around and getting to grips with my first Mac.

It's now down to about 18%.

Shall I wait until it gets to near 0% before charging or charge it now?

I read somewhere that after it's fully charged you should leave it plugged in for 2 hours. Is this still true?

Also, is it better to leave the MBA plugged to the mains when possible, or run it on battery?

Nov 28, 2010
located
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

Dominio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

So from that guide, my 2013 Air won't doesn't need calibrating so I don't need to leave it plugged in for another 2 hours after the first full charge?

Can't find any info in the FAQ regarding whether to run the machine off the mains or the battery if given both options.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Can't find any info in the FAQ regarding whether to run the machine off the mains or the battery if given both options.

That's because it doesn't matter. It hasn't mattered since 1999 (excluding HP products). Do whatever you want, the battery controller will take care of the rest.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
You have only 2 options:

If you are on the go... run on battery..
If you are playing hungry power games... run it plugged in..

For the rest of the options, such as, using it on your bed, at your local library, etc.. it is up to you. The new upgrades now allow you to work all day with battery with no worries of needing to connect it to the wall.

Personally, I am using it all day away from the cable. I've always hated carrying the adapter and dealing the the cables, so I use it on battery all day long and charge it up every other day while I sleep.

And do not worry about charging for the first time it if it gets to 0%... darn it, just use it as you like it, you have paid for a very expensive piece for hardware and software that have first class engineering. It won't break.

If you would need it to charge it on a special way for the first time, Apple would include it on a piece of paper right in front of you as soon as you would open the box for you to see, and with big bold letters "Warning, follow this procedure or you battery will suffer the consequences".

Enjoy your MBA. This is my first MBA as well, my very first apple product. Just enjoy the heck out of it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.