Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
So now that the AT&T GoPhone plans are official, whose switching over?

AT&T Offers:
- Unlimited Talk + Text (Incl International)
- 2GB 4G LTE Data
All for just $60/Month!

Purchase the refills from callingmart.com or ebay(from reputable sellers only - otherwise be warned as you may be scammed)and save $10-$20

I'll be leaving straight talk for AT&T GoPhone for my next billing cycle:D

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

update:

- Couldn't be happier with the plan! getting to use my iPhone like an iPhone should be used! Full features (minus FaceTime over Cellular)

Need a Refill? $60 Available Here <-- Support me if possible

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

AT&T Offers:
- 2GB 4G LTE Data
All for just $60/Month!

Purchase the refills from callingmart or ebay and say $10-$20

Not bad. I'm on aio wireless and pay $40 with 250mb of 4g and unlimited edge.

EasyRider

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008

AT&T Offers:
- 2GB 4G LTE Data
All for just $60/Month!

Purchase the refills from callingmart or ebay and say $10-$20

I don't see where it says 4G LTE, I would think that plan only includes 4G and not 4G LTE

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Yeah, this is better than getting on sprint or tmo.

Please explain, I thought tmobile had plan that has unlimited call, text, and truly unlimited 4g for 60 dollars?

Ps: soon metro pcs will have best rates and metro pcs is expanding in so much markets right now

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Please explain, I thought tmobile had plan that has unlimited call, text, and truly unlimited 4g for 60 dollars?

Ps: soon metro pcs will have best rates and metro pcs is expanding in so much markets right now

Ya but truth is AT&T has by far the best coverage, much better building penetration than T-Mobile (even with T-Mobile's Metro PCS merger) due to T-Mobile using 1700/2100 AWS 4G/LTE vs AT&T 850/1900 4G / 700MHz LTE

This is the best plan and will put those MVNO's to shame...why would anyone want to use H2O, Red Pocket, Straight Talk etc with AT&T giving 4G + LTE access for just $60 with 2GB a month?

I think with this move we are looking at some price decreases from the MVNO's or for them to step up their game of the whole hidden throttles they do...

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I see no reason to move from T-Mobiles $30 100 minutes 5GB data.

In my area, AT&T has too many dead areas where I can wait and wait for a page to load on my iPad plus I get NO LTE whatsoever.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Well, it's $70. Frankly, TMO still has a ways to go to reach the footprint AT&T has. It's one of those things, like another OTHER carrier, if it's good in your area, you can use it. AT&T just happens to be good in way more areas than TMO.

I happen to know auto union lives in Boston where TMO coverage is spotty (surprisingly). Everyone's mileage will vary of course. The poster above me states she cannot get reception on AT&T but does fine on TMO. That is obviously the exception, not the norm.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I'm debating to leave my postpaid and go get this plan (as prepaid) can anyone who's a former postpaid from AT&T chime on to how easy the process will be? It seems like I'll be saving money, and I can buy the phone outright anyway if needed.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, this is better than getting on sprint or tmo.
Wrong, not even close. I have 3 lines on T-Mobile got $120 with unlimited talk text and unlimited LTE. On T-Mobile your always covered you can even roaming ATT network for free. With 2Gb of data a month you can't even watch the apple keynote.

U can't do this on att

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I don't see where it says 4G LTE, I would think that plan only includes 4G and not 4G LTE

It actually does include LTE..not specified there on the page but if you read reports from CNET etc...it's in there. Also, if you go and purchase the plan and select a device, they have a 4g LTE device and advertise as so...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I was seriously considering this plan, I had swapped my wife from post paid to Straight Talk some months ago and she has been happy, and I finally took the leap and transferred from post paid just yesterday to Straight talk. So far ST has had no issues, but I'm ready to jump to GoPhone if I experience any of their ambiguous "unlimited" data nonsense and get shut off. \

Hey $45 is still better than $60, yeah I'm a cheapo but I like to mise every penny I can and put that into my daughters college fund, or on the side to buy myself a new iphone every year, etc. I weighed the pros and cons on either side. LTE is nice, but honestly I cannot fathom when anyone would ever need that speed unless they are bittorrenting or something. Plus being in Northern NJ, an area you would think has LTE all over the place, I've found that LTE is pretty sparse. I travel 5 highways and 1.5 hours commute every day and it's ALL 4g, not a hint of LTE until I get to Newark, and by then I'm on my work wifi anyhow.

So really the only downfall to ST is that you cannot stream music or video, and that may sway me to goPhone, but if it's worth $15/month just to stream music I haven't decided yet. In any case I can't see ST surviving with goPhone and soon to be AIO plans out there so it may be moot issue anyhow.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I'm debating to leave my postpaid and go get this plan (as prepaid) can anyone who's a former postpaid from AT&T chime on to how easy the process will be? It seems like I'll be saving money, and I can buy the phone outright anyway if needed.

It's definitely cheaper to go prepaid. The only concern I have is if they will throttle prepaid users on LTE.

I'll break this down if you buy a new iPhone every year in California...if you don't, then it's going to be THAT much cheaper.

POSTPAID

New iPhone Year 1

Let's just say you're on the cheapest plan (450 minutes rollover) with 3GB data and messaging (which would include unlimited mobile to mobile)...

$40 + $30 + $20 + Tax = $100 x 12 months = $1200

New 32GB iPhone

$300 + $70 tax = $370 + $36 upgrade fee = $406

$1200 + $406 = $1606
So in the 1st year of a brand new contract you will pay $1606

New iPhone Year 2

Lets say you sell your iPhone for $400 (we're going to use a constant)...

You use an early upgrade so you'll end up playing 2 year contract price + $250...

$300 + $70 tax + $36 upgrade fee + $250 early upgrade = $656 - $400 (credit from selling iPhone) = $256

$1200 (year services) + $256 = $1456

So it will be $1456 forever if you keep reupping on a new iPhone.

PREPAID

New iPhone Year 1
Now if you're on prepaid let's use the numbers without a discount (however you can easily purchase refills at a discount on ebay or callingmart)...

Unlimited voice, messaging, 3GB data

$70 x 12 = $840

New iPhone 32GB = $750 + tax = $820

$840 (services) + $820 (phone) = $1660

First year will be $1660

New iPhone Year 2

Lets say you sell your iPhone for $400.

$840 (services) + $420 (phone - credit) = $1260

It'll be $1260 every year if you keep getting the new iPhone.

WRAP UP
So in reality, you're saving about $200 a year if you go prepaid and get a new iPhone every year. Now, if you use the default 2GB data plan at $60 on the prepaid, you're saving an extra $120 a year so you can deduct that (and it will be cheaper prepaid starting year 1)

Now, if you stick with an iPhone every 2 years? It almost makes no sense to stick to post paid.

2 years of prepaid is $1680 (or $1440 with 2GB data) whereas 2 years postpaid is $2400 (+ upgrade fees).

At the end of the day, is the convenience of postpaid worth it to you?

Last edited:

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Another way to look at it is, starting the 2nd year, you're taking out a $138 loan and paying $58 in interest.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Wrong, not even close. I have 3 lines on T-Mobile got $120 with unlimited talk text and unlimited LTE. On T-Mobile your always covered you can even roaming ATT network for free. With 2Gb of data a month you can't even watch the apple keynote.

U can't do this on att
Another post with complete BS. TMo users cannot roam on AT&T in all areas. It is region specific. Even then, it is mostly just voice. They don't let TMo use their data network.

And 60+ gigs? That is pathetic. Stop being cheap and get an internet connection at home :)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Nice move from AT&T. This is what competition does for the industry folks. Once my Verizon contract is up I may switch my mom over to this plan since AT&T and Verizon are the only ones with LTE in her area. Also what happens if you exceed the 2GB?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Auctally since tmobile owns metro pcs, they have started expanding it to areas they have LTE....

MetroPCS really doesnt have much native coverage at all. I don't see how this will help TMobile expand their network. It will merely let them run a wider LTE channel in areas where they are fine anyways...

even worse coverage than TMo

2xi.png

a29.png

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Another post with complete BS. TMo users cannot roam on AT&T in all areas. It is region specific. Even then, it is mostly just voice. They don't let TMo use their data network.

And 60+ gigs? That is pathetic. Stop being cheap and get an internet connection at home :)
Wrong again. Att allows T-Mobile customers to roam over HSPA +

----------

MetroPCS really doesnt have much native coverage at all. I don't see how this will help TMobile expand their network. It will merely let them run a wider LTE channel in areas where they are fine anyways...

even worse coverage than TMo

We're do u get these old maps from. U cracke up lmao

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Wrong again. Att allows T-Mobile customers to roam over HSPA +

Complete crap. I'd love for you to find me sources on this. Since you claim to be in the industry, it wouldn't be hard for you to find something that proves otherwise. If they let you roam, it's voice/text only.

I'm here in Southern Maine right now. My Audi is on EDGE and my iPhone is on EDGE. Both with TMo SIMs. Looks like they're roaming on AT&T alright!

My AT&T and VZW devices have LTE.

We're do u get these old maps from. U cracke up lmao

That's basically metropcs' native footprint. they roam everywhere else.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
T-Mobile users can roam on AT&T HSPA+. Thing is that you only get 50MB of domestic roaming data so it's not something I would rely on.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
T-Mobile users can roam on AT&T HSPA+. Thing is that you only get 50MB of domestic roaming data so it's not something I would rely on.

where?

They most def. DON'T roam around here in the Northeast.

That being said, why am I not surprised that oso won't backup his claims. Every single time he gets called out on his "knowledge", he just stops answering. what a joke

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
where?

They most def. DON'T roam around here in the Northeast.

That being said, why am I not surprised that oso won't backup his claims. Every single time he gets called out on his "knowledge", he just stops answering. what a joke

They don't have roaming agreements with AT&T everywhere so it varies by the area. I can roam on AT&T "4G" HSPA+ when traveling through SC on my way to Myrtle Beach. Capped at 50MB per billing cycle though. The 4G icon shows up. I think the speeds are throttled too. Most I've ever gotten while roaming was about 3mbps down.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
this isnt exactly the arguing thread guys...you all are just pointing fingers at each others and not getting anywhere....

anyway this plan is great for people like me who are on Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) and pay $45+tax/month....roughly $50/month

What I plan to do:

Ditch Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) and go with AT&T GoPhone Prepaid $60/month.

Refill from Callingmart or eBay and save $10-$20/month from $60 and pay about $40-$50/month with access to LTE and International Texting. 2GB is great for people like me who dont tether much. Right now I stream music 2-3times a week, drive 20-40 miles weekly with Google maps GPS on, and do all my emailing, browsing etc on my phone daily and use roughly 700MB-1.3GB/Month.

So people who have usage like mine, this is a great deal!

Not to mention I cannot leave AT&T because of T-Mobile extremely spotty coverage along Interstate highways and I can never be without my phone stuck on "o" even for 15mins...If I'm paying for a phone service no matter how less I'm paying, it needs to give me better than "E" on my most frequently travel routs/locations and that only AT&T gives for me.

EDIT: I use WiFi where ever I can get it if its fast enough for my things I'm doing like at home I have a 27Mbps Connection with that I never have to use my Cellular Data.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.