Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received several images that appear to show both the interior and rear shell of Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S. The device appears to carry the same redesigned logic board that appeared earlier this week, suggesting that this is indeed a new iPhone.

iphone_5s_interior.jpg
Among the interesting observations from the images:

- Based on the observable features, the logic board appears to be an exact match to the one that appeared in photos earlier this week, with a slightly narrower profile and a new layout for connectors and other components.

- The main chip on the logic board is interestingly not labeled with an A-series name such as on the A6 seen in the iPhone 5. It is unclear whether the chip name has been removed somehow or if it was never printed in the first place.

- A date code visible on the bottom of the main chip reads "1243", signifying that the chip was manufactured in the 43rd week of 2012, corresponding to late October. This would seem to be much earlier than would be expected for a new handset, so it is unclear whether this is a very early prototype that could still be running the same A6 chip found in the iPhone 5 or if it is in fact a different chip.

- The battery carries a more recent Apple Part Number of 616-0652 compared to the iPhone 5 battery, which has carried several different part numbers including 616-0611 and 616-0613. The new battery also has a higher capacity of 5.92 Whr, compared to the 5.45 Whr capacity of the iPhone 5's battery. The battery also has several blank boxes printed on it where various regulatory logos would be, suggesting that this is a prototype battery yet to receive final certifications.

iphone_5s_rear.jpg
- The rear shell photo shows a vertical pill-shaped window for the LED flash as opposed to a round window, supporting rumors of a dual LED flash for the iPhone 5S. A similar pill-shaped flash window was depicted on a case maker's design drawings that also leaked earlier this week.

- Regulatory identifiers shown on the back of the device such as the FCC ID appear to be placeholders, in several cases reading X1234X.

Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 5S later this year alongside a lower-cost iPhone with a plastic shell that will be available in an array of color options. Rumors have suggested that Apple is likely to release the new iPhones around the September timeframe.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone 5S Revealed in New Photos

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
It retains one main cosmetic feature of current iPhone 5: scratches!

In 4-5 years they will be so thin that will not be a problem anymore... :p

o604.jpg

Last edited:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
They should have at least used the iPhone 5S plus a mirror to take a picture of the iPhone 5S instead of using whatever terrible camera they have. We'd be able to see how great the new camera is :)

Last edited:

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Surprisingly unsurprised.

STILL waiting to see the front of the phone where that fingerprint sensor's supposed to be.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Hmmm

I am up for an upgrade and I don't know if I should wait this one out and wait for next years model. Long and skinny?? And, scratched already? Hmmmm, decisions decisions.:eek:

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Apple needs to reconsider their "now you can flash... And be flashed" ad campaign. Could get angry feedback from public decency advocacy groups. :/

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'll past. I'm waiting on the redesigned iPhone 6 next year. iOS 7 would be fine on my iPhone 5.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
and please let's hope people don't start calling the one after the iPhone 8 :rolleyes:

They'd call it the iPhone 7 if anything, but I get what you mean.

----------

Glad to see that they didn't haphazardly redesign it just to make it look different like they did with iOS 7. It would have ended up like those ugly/cheesy HTC and Motorola phones.

Last edited:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I feel like I've not much choice in upgrading to this. My iPhone 4 is on deaths door, in fact waiting through the summer to hold onto it is going to be difficult...

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Looks legitimate. The battery coating seems a little too 'flabby' for Apple, my bet is it's an early early early early prototype. Blurred shot, so yea - legit.

Nice one, MacRumors!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Nice, I can't wait to pick this up!

I've been tempted to get the iPhone 5, it's such a beautiful device! My iPhone 4S has been amazing the last couple years but it's time to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.