Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1
IPadNParadise
macrumors regular

HDMI Cable Type

I currently have a regular (not high speed) cable going from my Apple TV to my AV receiver. Would I get full 1080p quality if I replace the current cable with a high speed one? My TV is a full 1080p tv and I do use a high speed hdmi going from my AV recover to my tv just didn't know if I also need a high speed hdmi going from Apple TV to av receiver.

The new ability to watch HBOGO movies just doesn't look as good a quality as I am used to on HBO from my Directv satellite box which is also connected to my AV receiver but that connection has a high speed hdmi cable.

I just don't want to go to the expense and trouble to replace my plain hdmi from Apple TV to av receiver if it is not going to make a difference.

Last edited by IPadNParadise; Jun 21, 2013 at 05:18 AM.
IPadNParadise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:14 AM   #2
institute
macrumors regular

Aren't all hdmi the same in terms of functionality? They either work or they don't.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:55 AM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPadNParadise View Post
The new ability to watch HBOGO movies just doesn't look as good a quality as I am used to on HBO from my Directv satellite box which is also connected to my AV receiver but that connection has a high speed hdmi cable.
and it won't, hbogo is more compressed than what you get from your dish.
new cable won't help.
waw74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4
BSoares
macrumors regular

I think regular HDMI can handle 1080p just fine, it's 3D that would require high speed and even then, many cables not labeled as high speed work just fine.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
palmharbor
Banned

Hdmi

I would buy one frm MonoPrice...actually two. All of these cables are made in China and they are not built to last. Cable failure is the number one problem
in any home theater set up.
The image you get from your cable provider or sat provider will be better than you are going to get from any hand held device.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
hallux
macrumors 65816

First off, you won't get 1080p if you don't have an ATV3.

As for the cables, I have at least 2, maybe 3 (only 2 TVs) of the Monoprice ones and have had no issues in the 5 years I've had them. Generally, the cables don't get moved often, making for less risk of breakage. One of the TVs gets rotated in place at least once a day but it's only a 90* turn and there's enough slack that the cable doesn't pull.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

I had problems with HDMI cables on my 2 Apple TV's so I purchased Apple HDMI cables and have had no problem since.
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

As long as they are certified and say "high speed", get the CHEAPEST HDMI CABLES YOU CAN BUY. Walmart.com sometimes carries them for $4.50

... oh look they have it right now:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot...Cable/15074960

trust me they are perfect. I do 3D blurays over them. They are dyerware certified lol

-d
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
As long as they are certified and say "high speed", get the CHEAPEST HDMI CABLES YOU CAN BUY. Walmart.com sometimes carries them for $4.50

... oh look they have it right now:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot...Cable/15074960

trust me they are perfect. I do 3D blurays over them. They are dyerware certified lol

-d
Agreed. If you pay more than $5 to $7 for any HDMI cable, you are being thoroughly ripped off.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Julien
macrumors 68040

Here is the ONLY cables that are capable of correctly passing HBOGO at a reasonable price. Anything more expensive is a waste of money. I use these for all my HDMI connections.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Darby67
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Here is the ONLY cables that are capable of correctly passing HBOGO at a reasonable price. Anything more expensive is a waste of money. I use these for all my HDMI connections.
...gulp...
Darby67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 05:31 AM   #12
IPadNParadise
macrumors regular

Thank you all. I will jump right out there and order one of those ultra expensive hdmi cables, that will be able to solve my problem for sure. Course i wouldnt be able to pay my electricty bill then ��.

And of course I have an ATV 3. And after more research I think my Internet speed is the issue, I pay for 8 Mbps which is as much as my ISP offers in my rural area but I don't think that is a sustainable speed.

Bottom line tho is, I am very happy Apple added HBOGO. I just installed a new Bluray player with Internet capabilities and it goes in and out of black screen off, on for 15 minutes before it settles down and stays on to allow watching content (hdmi issue I think) and the Apple TV ”just works".
IPadNParadise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:40 AM   #13
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post

Haha classic. I remember when those came out

----------

Quote:
Thank you all. I will jump right out there and order one of those ultra expensive hdmi cables, that will be able to solve my problem for sure. Course i wouldnt be able to pay my electricty bill then ��.

And of course I have an ATV 3. And after more research I think my Internet speed is the issue, I pay for 8 Mbps which is as much as my ISP offers in my rural area but I don't think that is a sustainable speed.

Bottom line tho is, I am very happy Apple added HBOGO. I just installed a new Bluray player with Internet capabilities and it goes in and out of black screen off, on for 15 minutes before it settles down and stays on to allow watching content (hdmi issue I think) and the Apple TV ”just works".

While I don't know of your specific artifacts odds are its the compression from hbo's files. Different hdmi cables are not going to change your picture in any fashion.

Your inet could do it too as it throttles.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:23 AM   #14
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

oh actually one more possibility. Go to your apple tv settings and you have playback options: 1080P, 720P, SD.

Try 720P... some TVs like one format over another and can introduce minor artifacts.

honestly not an apple tv guru, these may not impact the atv->tv interface... may be just internet stream selection.

-d
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:20 PM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Would I get full 1080p quality if I replace the current cable with a high speed one?
No. You don't need "high speed" cables for 1080p. Your connectivity is more likely to be the culprit. Is your ATV on WiFi?

Quote:
My TV is a full 1080p tv and I do use a high speed hdmi going from my AV recover to my tv just didn't know if I also need a high speed hdmi going from Apple TV to av receiver.
Quote:
I just don't want to go to the expense and trouble to replace my plain hdmi from Apple TV to av receiver if it is not going to make a difference.
You could easily confirm this yourself without buying anything. Swap the cables you already have and test.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:33 PM   #16
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by julien View Post
here is the only cables that are capable of correctly passing hbogo at a reasonable price. Anything more expensive is a waste of money. I use these for all my hdmi connections.
yes.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater