Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
robertkarlsen
macrumors regular

iOS 7 saves Apple!

When my parents got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?

Last edited by robertkarlsen; Jun 21, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
robertkarlsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
zerostar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkarlsen View Post
dont you agree?
I don't know if this "Saves Apple" as they weren't exactly dying… but Yes 100%. It's a step in the right direction for sure.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

I think it is a bit early to make such a statement. I do like iOS 7. If I showed my parents (both SG3 users) iOS 7, it wouldn't mean anything to them, as they have both drunk the anti-Apple juice the Sister in Law gave them.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkarlsen View Post
When my parent got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?
When they said "only icons everywhere" what did you show them? There are still icons everywhere?

I'm not complaining I love iOS, it just that your post doesn't make sense.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
definitive
macrumors 65816

it's still the same layout, so in conclusion: placebo effect.
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

iOS 7 doesn't save anything. First, it's not an OS that anyone can use yet and second, Apple didn't need saving. It is great that your parents like it but two people feeling like it is better than what it once was does not mean anything was failing in the first place.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Mrg02d
Banned

iOS 7, in itself, shows that Apple is headed where most probably want it to head. Many of those features are Android/jailbreak stuff. Just cuz its done in Android, doesnt mean the idea sucks. Android sucks because it is usually poorly matched to the hardware running it.

For me, iOS needs to begin with widget-y ideas. Not a full blown widget, but something similar such as the weather app icon showing the current temp and some color code for rain...The icon could show a sun for sunny, cloud for cloudy, cloud with rain for rain. ect. They made the clock app live...

How about a scrolling news feed wallpaper that utilizes the new parallax/panorama tech? (Tilt to the left to see your news feeds...tilt right to see something else)

Im sure Apple could make these ideas classy, fluid, and functional.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:14 AM   #8
maxosx
macrumors 68020

How bizarre.

Apple does not need saving, nor will iOS7 mean anything of significance till the Pro-Apple press fawn over it repeatedly.

It's all just Apples version of things.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
dewdst
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitive View Post
it's still the same layout, so in conclusion: placebo effect.

so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
dewdst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdst View Post

so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
Orkin.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.
kerrikins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:34 AM   #12
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrikins View Post
It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.
Good point. While I am aware of what "jailbreak" is, I have never had a desire to implement such. And as such, iOS 7 looks and feels new to me.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #13
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

I noticed some "zephyr" like actions, but I'm really going to miss swipe from bottom to get out of apps when I go to iOS 7.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
How bizarre.

Apple does not need saving, nor will iOS7 mean anything of significance till the Pro-Apple press fawn over it repeatedly.

It's all just Apples version of things.
You sound bitter.
Tubamajuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Everything is different except the icon layout

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
You sound bitter.
Just an experienced observer
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:14 AM   #17
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
I noticed some "zephyr" like actions, but I'm really going to miss swipe from bottom to get out of apps when I go to iOS 7.
I find the new way of closing apps is easier (for me) in iOS 7.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Everything is different except the icon layout
Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #18
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.
New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
falconeight

I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:11 AM   #20
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.
Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #21
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.
I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #22
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:

----------

Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out.
I think if you check iOS 6 its the same. (Apple site show 3 missing icons on iOS 6)

MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.
My memory was wrong on the iOS 6 screen with my 4s. I thought all had been filled. Amazing what one forgets after messin' around with a new iOS.

Thanks to you and Monkey for the correction. Still odd to me. Doesn't look right, in my opinion.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
zerostar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks to you and Monkey for the correction. Still odd to me. Doesn't look right, in my opinion.
Do you not just move them around?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #25
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

I may be in the minority, but I like the direction Apple is headed with iOS 7. I think some of the icons are blah. But, what is more important to me, is the strength, stability, and usability of the OS. I like what I see thus far.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7