Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
robertkarlsen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden
 
iOS 7 saves Apple!

When my parents got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?

Last edited by robertkarlsen; Jun 21, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
robertkarlsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
zerostar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkarlsen View Post
dont you agree?
I don't know if this "Saves Apple" as they weren't exactly dying… but Yes 100%. It's a step in the right direction for sure.
__________________
iOS Developer / Editor / New Media Developer
zerostar is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
I think it is a bit early to make such a statement. I do like iOS 7. If I showed my parents (both SG3 users) iOS 7, it wouldn't mean anything to them, as they have both drunk the anti-Apple juice the Sister in Law gave them.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkarlsen View Post
When my parent got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?
When they said "only icons everywhere" what did you show them? There are still icons everywhere?

I'm not complaining I love iOS, it just that your post doesn't make sense.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
definitive
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
it's still the same layout, so in conclusion: placebo effect.
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
iOS 7 doesn't save anything. First, it's not an OS that anyone can use yet and second, Apple didn't need saving. It is great that your parents like it but two people feeling like it is better than what it once was does not mean anything was failing in the first place.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Mrg02d
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
iOS 7, in itself, shows that Apple is headed where most probably want it to head. Many of those features are Android/jailbreak stuff. Just cuz its done in Android, doesnt mean the idea sucks. Android sucks because it is usually poorly matched to the hardware running it.

For me, iOS needs to begin with widget-y ideas. Not a full blown widget, but something similar such as the weather app icon showing the current temp and some color code for rain...The icon could show a sun for sunny, cloud for cloudy, cloud with rain for rain. ect. They made the clock app live...

How about a scrolling news feed wallpaper that utilizes the new parallax/panorama tech? (Tilt to the left to see your news feeds...tilt right to see something else)

Im sure Apple could make these ideas classy, fluid, and functional.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:14 AM   #8
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
How bizarre.

Apple does not need saving, nor will iOS7 mean anything of significance till the Pro-Apple press fawn over it repeatedly.

It's all just Apples version of things.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
dewdst
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by definitive View Post
it's still the same layout, so in conclusion: placebo effect.


so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
dewdst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdst View Post


so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
Orkin.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdst View Post


so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.
kerrikins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:34 AM   #12
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrikins View Post
It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.
Good point. While I am aware of what "jailbreak" is, I have never had a desire to implement such. And as such, iOS 7 looks and feels new to me.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #13
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a
 
STiNG Operation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Zoo
I noticed some "zephyr" like actions, but I'm really going to miss swipe from bottom to get out of apps when I go to iOS 7.
__________________
Any tips?
STiNG Operation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
How bizarre.

Apple does not need saving, nor will iOS7 mean anything of significance till the Pro-Apple press fawn over it repeatedly.

It's all just Apples version of things.
You sound bitter.
Tubamajuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdst View Post


so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now
Everything is different except the icon layout
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
You sound bitter.
Just an experienced observer
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:14 AM   #17
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
I noticed some "zephyr" like actions, but I'm really going to miss swipe from bottom to get out of apps when I go to iOS 7.
I find the new way of closing apps is easier (for me) in iOS 7.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Everything is different except the icon layout
Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #18
fivedots
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.
New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
falconeight
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:11 AM   #20
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.
Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #21
fivedots
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.
I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #22
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.

----------



Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out.
I think if you check iOS 6 its the same. (Apple site show 3 missing icons on iOS 6)
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.
My memory was wrong on the iOS 6 screen with my 4s. I thought all had been filled. Amazing what one forgets after messin' around with a new iOS.

Thanks to you and Monkey for the correction. Still odd to me. Doesn't look right, in my opinion.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
zerostar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
Thanks to you and Monkey for the correction. Still odd to me. Doesn't look right, in my opinion.
Do you not just move them around?
__________________
iOS Developer / Editor / New Media Developer
zerostar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #25
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
I may be in the minority, but I like the direction Apple is headed with iOS 7. I think some of the icons are blah. But, what is more important to me, is the strength, stability, and usability of the OS. I like what I see thus far.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there anything apple can do about the game saves from iPhone to iPhone? DBZmusicboy01 iPhone 2 May 19, 2014 10:13 AM
Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App for iOS 7 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 82 Sep 23, 2013 08:17 PM
Signs of Apple's Work on iOS 7.0.1, iOS 7.0.2, iOS 7.1, and iOS 8 Showing Up in Web Logs MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 131 Sep 20, 2013 04:00 PM
Should I do a clean install for ios 7? Will I lose game saves and texts? Javiayer iOS 7 1 Sep 18, 2013 09:58 AM
iPad: I wish game saves on the ipad would save on other ios devices as well Jacoblee23 iPad 9 Nov 12, 2012 12:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC