Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Virgin Mobile USA to Begin Selling iPhone 5 on June 28

Virgin Mobile USA today announced that it will begin selling the iPhone 5 next Friday, June 28, offering the device on its no-contract Beyond Talk service plans. The plans start at $35/month for 300 minutes plus unlimited text and data, although the carrier begins throttling data speeds after a monthly soft cap of 2.5 GB. A $45/month plan offers 1200 minutes, while a $55/month plan adds unlimited calling, and customers can earn a $5/month discount on their bills when they sign up for automatic payments.

As for the iPhone itself, Virgin Mobile is offering a $100 discount off of Apple's standard unsubsidized pricing, selling the 16 GB iPhone 5 for $549.99 with the 32 GB model priced at $649.99 and the 64 GB model at $749.99.

We noted last October that Apple had Virgin Mobile-specific iPhone 5 models ready to go, although it was unclear at the time when they would be released and it remains unknown why it took approximately nine months after the device's launch to appear at the carrier. The iPhone 5 has been available through other prepaid carriers such as Cricket since as long ago as September.

Article Link: Virgin Mobile USA to Begin Selling iPhone 5 on June 28
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

They might as well wait to launch to include to iPhone 5S
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
GenesisJLS
macrumors regular

Nice! I wonder if it will be part of their Christmahanakwanza sale.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Bit late to the party...hardly Virgins!!
Chrjy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Chmeeee
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Chmeeee
If only there could be a quality prepaid carrier using the Verizon network...

Or have I missed something? Sprint and therefore Virgin coverage in my area is crap.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:38 AM   #6
derek4484
macrumors 6502

But its on Sprint Network right? So, it's worthless. Sprint has almost no LTE, this doesnt do WiMax, and their 3G network can't even achieve 56K modem speeds.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
If only there could be a quality prepaid carrier using the Verizon network...

Or have I missed something? Sprint and therefore Virgin coverage in my area is crap.
there used to be a decent amount of Pre-paid carriers on Verizon and AT&T. Straight Talk used to be almost exclusively Verizon in the beginning. But AT&T and Verizon saw how many people were using those cheaper services so they kicked them off their networks. Verizon did it a long time ago. AT&T just recently told Straight Talk to quit selling AT&T sims.

So, now all pre-paids are on T-mo or Sprint. Sprint is terrible coverage and terrible data speeds. T-mo has good data speeds as long as you are inside a city's limits. Suburbs, not so much. And their coverage area sucks. You spend most of your time roaming on AT&T network at edge speeds.
derek4484 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
rishey
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to rishey
Oh

Are there any cheap plans like this that use AT&T or T-Mobile's network? LTE just started working on T-Mobile here in Chicago.
rishey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I had sprint, and had great 4G around here. However, unless I'm missing something, VM is only offering 3G for iPhone 5, at least that's what it says in that graphic. It would be nice if they gave say 1GB of 4G, then the rest at 3G speeds. I'd look into it if I could get something other than 3G.

EDIT: I just went to the site and poked around, and it seems to say if 4G is available, you'll get the 4G speeds. But if you read the disclaimer, it says something about 4G WiMAX and 4G LET Sprint, and you may not get that, etc... too early in the AM for me to digest.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...lans/overview/
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:44 AM   #9
wjdennen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishey View Post
Are there any cheap plans like this that use AT&T or T-Mobile's network? LTE just started working on T-Mobile here in Chicago.
T-Mobile sells a $30 prepaid plan. 100 minutes, 4GB data. unlim text.
wjdennen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
kazmac
macrumors 68000

Virgin Mobile = Sprint = no thanks

Since Virgin are tied to Sprint's networks, I won't switch even though the plan is better financially. Coverage, customer service etc. are worth the extra $ to me.
kazmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
polymersayb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdennen View Post
Do you know if it's compatible with the iPhone? The phones they try to sell with that plan are kind of crappy but it still seems that you can put it into any unlocked GSM phone. And it's listed in the compatible phones...

The biggest problem with it is that you don't get any data roaming. And a poster above mentioned that t-mobile's coverage is bad enough that you need roaming...
polymersayb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Frobozz
macrumors 65816

Over the course of 2 years, it seems like I would save about $35 a month on the 2-phone plan I have now with AT&T. You obviously pay more up front, but as you enter the tail end of that second year you're saving a fair amount.

Truth be told, we'll almost always upgrade our phones every 2 years anyway. Oh, the choices.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmac View Post
Since Virgin are tied to Sprint's networks, I won't switch even though the plan is better financially. Coverage, customer service etc. are worth the extra $ to me.
I was a happy Sprint customer for about 9 contiguous years before I switched to AT&T to buy an iPhone 3G. Although much has changed since then, and we all know each geographic area has different coverage issues.
Frobozz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #13
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

So, do all iPhone 5's work on all networks?
JesseW6889 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #14
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleWarMachine View Post
They might as well wait to launch to include to iPhone 5S
VM doesn't sell the newest phones. They are almost always a model behind. They don't want to compete against itself (Sprint).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseW6889 View Post
Unlikely since their iPhone 4S is locked to VM. That's why they are selling it for below MSRP.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4484 View Post
But its on Sprint Network right? So, it's worthless. Sprint has almost no LTE, this doesnt do WiMax, and their 3G network can't even achieve 56K modem speeds.

----------

there used to be a decent amount of Pre-paid carriers on Verizon and AT&T. Straight Talk used to be almost exclusively Verizon in the beginning. But AT&T and Verizon saw how many people were using those cheaper services so they kicked them off their networks. Verizon did it a long time ago. AT&T just recently told Straight Talk to quit selling AT&T sims.

So, now all pre-paids are on T-mo or Sprint. Sprint is terrible coverage and terrible data speeds. T-mo has good data speeds as long as you are inside a city's limits. Suburbs, not so much. And their coverage area sucks. You spend most of your time roaming on AT&T network at edge speeds.

There is hope as AT&T AIOwireless.com pre-paid service is supposed to roll out nationwide with substantial discounts over their post paid service.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
maverick808
macrumors 65816

Oh cool, they got Jony Ive to design their price plan sheet.
maverick808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:25 AM   #17
scbn
macrumors regular

They probably got a big discount from Apple because iPhone 5s is coming soon. It's like retail stores, you get last season's clothes from TJ Max.
scbn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:28 AM   #18
rishey
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to rishey
Cool. Didn't know that. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdennen View Post
rishey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4484 View Post
So, now all pre-paids are on T-mo or Sprint. Sprint is terrible coverage and terrible data speeds.
There's that digital divide. People who can afford the major carrier's exorbitant fees get faster connections. The rest of the population flounders. In my area, there's only fair voice coverage and 3G data.

Even so, if enough people begin using the service, perhaps coverage will improve. Then there just might be real choice in the US cellular scene.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:32 AM   #20
fjfjfjfj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
Oh cool, they got Jony Ive to design their price plan sheet.
Hahahahahahahha.
fjfjfjfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:33 AM   #21
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The plans start at $35/month for 300 minutes plus unlimited text and data, although the carrier begins throttling data speeds after a monthly soft cap of 2.5 GB. A $45/month plan offers 1200 minutes, while a $55/month plan adds unlimited calling, and customers can earn a $5/month discount on their bills when they sign up for automatic payments.
My son is on a VM "Beyond Talk Unlimited Data and Text" plan and burns through his 2.5GB data "soft cap" exactly halfway through every month. I imagine this would be even worse at LTE speeds...

I am grateful for the unlimited texts, though if he was on an iPhone most of those would go through iMessage anyway...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:38 AM   #22
Cursor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymersayb View Post
Do you know if it's compatible with the iPhone? The phones they try to sell with that plan are kind of crappy but it still seems that you can put it into any unlocked GSM phone. And it's listed in the compatible phones...

The biggest problem with it is that you don't get any data roaming. And a poster above mentioned that t-mobile's coverage is bad enough that you need roaming...
The iPhones are compatible (I'm on this plan), but I would recommend getting the newer iPhone 5, to take advantage of T-Mobile's signal.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23
techwhiz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseW6889 View Post
Yes/No is the answer.
An iPhone 5 for Verizon technically would work on Sprint but the LTE bands are different. Same with AT&T and T-Mobile. The HSPA would work across all GSM and the 3G across all CDMA. So there is a "least common denominator" that makes it fundamentally compatible with all networks. THey use a Qualcomm chipset that pretty much supports everything with the right antennae.

As for talk the phone would need to be unlocked *AND* Verizon and Sprint don't support devices on their network that don't have their branding.

There are actually at least 3-4 different versions of iPhone5 depending on who you ask. That is because they use different antennae configurations.
techwhiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:42 AM   #24
maxosx
macrumors 68020

It's this kind of "news" that reminds me of how glad I will be when iPhone 5 is in the rear view mirror.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #25
kazmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobozz View Post
Over the course of 2 years, it seems like I would save about $35 a month on the 2-phone plan I have now with AT&T. You obviously pay more up front, but as you enter the tail end of that second year you're saving a fair amount.

Truth be told, we'll almost always upgrade our phones every 2 years anyway. Oh, the choices.

----------

I was a happy Sprint customer for about 9 contiguous years before I switched to AT&T to buy an iPhone 3G. Although much has changed since then, and we all know each geographic area has different coverage issues.
Glad they treated you right. They were an absolute NIGHTMARE when I attempted to switch and had to fight for 6 months for refunds for services NEVER used. Even if their coverage was compariable to AT&T - I still would not switch based on the absolute agida I had to go through to get refunds.

Like you say, different areas/different coverage and different customer relations. Since I've had problems with Sprint and Verizon, I'll stick with AT&T and eventually try T-Mobile.

It's a shame really, the price is so right. But in this case, it really is tricky some users will get great service, others won't.
kazmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion