Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys

So as some of you know (judging by my previous posts) I am still new to iOS development. I've just finished a book by Big Nerd Ranch, which covers the Objective-C language and some fundamentals of the C language.

Now next month I plan on taking the Stanford iPhone Programming course CSP193 - which is highly rated. I think I will be prepared for this course although they recommend knowing OOP programming.

I haven't found any good books or specific books on that topic - any suggestions?

Finally to the point of this topic:

In the next year I will be starting development on my first app. It's actually an app for an popular online auction site here in SA - we will be redesigning the whole app from the ground up as we want to go in a different direction with the app.

This brings be to the question I have been asking myself a lot - when I do start development of the app later this year - do I go iOS7 route and make the app available only to iOS7 - since the UI is so different to any previous IOS version - or do I make it compatible for iOS 6 and 7?

The problem I have with the latter is UI integration. I don't want the app to feel out of place on an iOS 7 device (Since I can't use any iOS 7 features / UIKits in iOS 6).

If I take the former route and go with iOS 7 only - the only issue I have is user based. By the time the app goes live, (early next year) I'm hoping a lot iPhone / iPad users have adopted the new iOS system and it has a high % on user install base.

The last thing I want to do is focus the app towards iOS 7 users and not many people adapt the new iOS and I "miss" a larger market?

Having answered the above question would it be beneficial to read and watch videos for beginners on iOS 6 and then go back to the WWDC session videos on how to make the app ready for iOS 7?

I think that might be the way - so in short:

1. Develop the app for iOS 7 users only
2. Read / watch videos and books on iOS 6 development for beginners etc
3. Watch WWDC session videos for iOS 7 transition and xCode 5

I might have this all wrong - then again this is my first year as a iOS developer and I'm just trying tog et up to speed as quickly as possible.

Thanks all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.