Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Water quality complaints could be 'act of terrorism'

At least it's not from Florida.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...orism/2445071/

Quote:
A Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation deputy director warned a group of Maury County residents that unfounded complaints about water quality could be considered an "act of terrorism."

"We take water quality very seriously. Very, very seriously," said Sherwin Smith, deputy director of TDEC's Division of Water Resources, according to audio recorded by attendees. "But you need to make sure that when you make water quality complaints you have a basis, because federally, if there's no water quality issues, that can be considered under Homeland Security an act of terrorism."

"Can you say that again, please?" an audience member can be heard asking on the audio.

Smith went on in the recording to repeat the claim almost verbatim.
I'd be curious to see where in the Homeland Security regulations that that can be considered an act of terrorism.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
At least it's not from Florida.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...orism/2445071/

I'd be curious to see where in the Homeland Security regulations that that can be considered an act of terrorism.
Probably the same as yelling Fire in a theater or yelling Bomb on an airplane.

What is with the Florida reference?
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
Probably the same as yelling Fire in a theater or yelling Bomb on an airplane.
That's a pretty slippery slope there.

Quote:
We're just used to stupidity coming out of Florida, that's all. But that's not the case here.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I don't dislike Florida and it's probably just confirmation bias, but we often see weird stories come out of Florida...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't dislike Florida and it's probably just confirmation bias, but we often see weird stories come out of Florida...
Yes we do get some odd stories out of Florida but that is mostly due to all the crap that ends up in this state from the northeast. Most people in this state are transplants. I've been here 13 years and less then 50% of the time I meet someone who was actually born here.

Anyway I guess this story is a little odd. I can see if you are calling the water department saying you poisoned the water system but to call to just voice a complaint seems a little odd to be construed as an act of terrorism.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Yes we do get some odd stories out of Florida but that is mostly due to all the crap that ends up in this state from the northeast.
You mean the good part of the country? And no, the odd stories are usually related to the extremist republicans you have in your state, not the northeast liberal transplants.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
You mean the good part of the country? And no, the odd stories are usually related to the extremist republicans you have in your state, not the northeast liberal transplants.
Well we have extremist liberals down here too. Here is a prime example of a nut job transplant from the northeast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Grayson
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

It is beginning to seem that if you squint your eye real carefully, turn your head just so, hold your breath and stand on your head...just about anything can be considered an act of terrorism.

Kind of reminds me of the McCarthy era...laugh at the wrong thing and you ended up with the FBI all up your ass for the rest of your life.

I'm not diminishing the need for caution, but we are reaching the reductio ad absurdum.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:10 AM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
"But you need to make sure that when you make water quality complaints you have a basis, because federally, if there's no water quality issues, that can be considered under Homeland Security an act of terrorism."
The problem here is that a citizen doesn't have the wherewithal to know whether there is a basis or not for their complaint. All they know is that their water tasted "funny" or looks cloudy. They can't reasonably test and determine if these sensed changes are actually a result of poor water quality or not.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Well we have extremist liberals down here too. Here is a prime example of a nut job transplant from the northeast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Grayson
What makes him a nut job?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
He's from the North, not a Floridian...whose native population are all completely rational and reasonable folks!

Boy, don't you know anything!

OMG!

He's from the Bronx....that says it all!

Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #12
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm not going to derail this thread on this guy so do your own research http://www.google.com/#q=alan+grayson+nutjob
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #13
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
I'm not going to derail this thread on this guy so do your own research http://www.google.com/#q=alan+grayson+nutjob

How do you feel about Allen West?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:58 AM   #14
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Umm...did you even look through the results of that google search before posting it?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #15
mcrain
Banned

Does this sound like a preemptive attack on people who want the State to monitor water quality because of fears related to fracking?
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:53 PM   #16
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Does this sound like a preemptive attack on people who want the State to monitor water quality because of fears related to fracking?
I was thinking the same thing.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #17
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Anyone wanna bet that the water commissioner who made the threat is a Republican?
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:32 PM   #18
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

What makes one of the most progressive members of congress a nut job? Off the top of your head, can you name anything specific?

What do you think of people like Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Alan West, Ted Cruz, or Darrell Issa?

----------

By the way, were these complaints due to the high amount of hydrogen in water?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
What makes one of the most progressive members of congress a nut job? Off the top of your head, can you name anything specific?

What do you think of people like Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Alan West, Ted Cruz, or Darrell Issa?

----------

By the way, were these complaints due to the high amount of hydrogen in water?
Here is his greatest hits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s726kjPsfXY

I think a hell of a lot more about the others you listed then this guy.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:07 PM   #20
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Here is his greatest hits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s726kjPsfXY

I think a hell of a lot more about the others you listed then this guy.

Is today gotcha Friday or something? You really think much more highly of someone like Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Alan West, Ted Cruz, or Darrel Issa? Have you heard the crazy that comes out of their mouths?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:02 PM   #21
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Umm...did you even look through the results of that google search before posting it?
Google searches are not flat: what you get will not match what someone else gets because they like to tailor your results to yield the kind of stuff you would most likely want to look at.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:10 PM   #22
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Google searches are not flat: what you get will not match what someone else gets because they like to tailor your results to yield the kind of stuff you would most likely want to look at.
Google says that it "sometimes personalizes your search results based on your past search activity on Google."

Here's how to turn off search history personalization...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think it has something to do with

Thumb resize.

Our Precious Bodily Fluids
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
turtle777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
It is beginning to seem that if you squint your eye real carefully, turn your head just so, hold your breath and stand on your head...just about anything can be considered an act of terrorism.

Kind of reminds me of the McCarthy era...laugh at the wrong thing and you ended up with the FBI all up your ass for the rest of your life.

I'm not diminishing the need for caution, but we are reaching the reductio ad absurdum.
I agree with everything but the last sentence. We have ALREADY gone past the point of the complete absurd.

The rule of law is becoming completely unhinged with the "concern" over preventing terrorism.
Seriously, the terrorist are laughing their asses off. They would have never imagined that they could destroy America by instilling enough paranoia to turn on everything that made this country great over the last hundreds of years. &*%$ing shame.

-t
turtle777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues