Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Highlights Low Fragmentation Among iOS Devices in Direct Jab at Android

Apple recently updated its "Optimizing Apps for iOS 6"developer page with a new pie chart highlighting the lack of fragmentation among iOS versions being run on active mobile devices (via AppleInsider). According to the chart, 93% of iOS devices accessing the App Store over a two-week period ending on June 3 were running some version of iOS 6, with 6% running iOS 5 and just 1% running earlier versions of the operating system software.

Apple's chart appears to be a direct jab at Google, which has long published its own pie chart that currently shows just 33% of devices visiting the Google Play store over the same time period running the company's latest Android 4.1-4.2 Jelly Bean versions, which began appearing last July. In fact, the most popular version of Android remains 2.3.x Gingerbread, which first appeared in December 2010.

Apple executives have increasingly focused on Android's fragmentation as a major weakness of the platform, with developers having to target many different versions of Android and numerous different devices with their apps. Apple contrasts that experience with developing for iOS, which supports a limited number of display sizes and for which the vast majority of users are running the most recent major version.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Low Fragmentation Among iOS Devices in Direct Jab at Android
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2
NanoTubeReturns
macrumors newbie

Android is the new Windows
NanoTubeReturns is offline   58 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #3
dennno
macrumors regular

It's going to be more fragmented now once iOS7 is released. I have a feeling adoption rates will not be as high as previous iOS, people are afraid of change.
dennno is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
mattbaar26
macrumors regular

Yeah but all of iOS's new features aren't available on all devices. iOS will have even more features that won't be available on older devices.
mattbaar26 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

How many of us smug bastards are going to be linking this story to our android friends?
RolyPolyBird is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

just wait until ios7, I won't upgrade so easily
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Wow, over a third using an OS that's over 2 years old
Jsameds is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

I think that there may be a slight decrease in adoption rate for iOS 7, but not much. The adoption rate should be pretty good from 6 to 7 with OTA software updates. The major stumbling block before was those people who never hooked their phones to their computers.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Macrolido
macrumors regular

My Gosh! who dubbed those Android codenames?
Macrolido is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
nickharris1992
macrumors member

Honestly, who is the 1% on an OS older than 6? Either get a new device or upgrade. Its not safe to live in the stone age.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
Incredibly unhealthy eaters?
RoboCop001 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #12
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

In before someone with an iPhone 3GS starts belly aching about how they can't get iOS 7...
TheRealTVGuy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:41 AM   #13
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Wow, over a third using an OS that's over 2 years old

They can't upgrade.
duffman9000 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:41 AM   #14
pirg
Banned

I can't get over the fact that one third of android users are still on gb. That has to suck for them.
pirg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Remel
macrumors member

Impressive

93% is pretty impressive, particularly compared to 4% for the latest Android version.
Remel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #16
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
It's going to be more fragmented now once iOS7 is released. I have a feeling adoption rates will not be as high as previous iOS, people are afraid of change.
I think this is going to be the fastest adoption rate on record.
cmChimera is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #17
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaar26 View Post
Yeah but all of iOS's new features aren't available on all devices. iOS will have even more features that won't be available on older devices.
So what? This article isn't about hardware or features. This is about developers being able to count on API consistency.
err404 is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #18
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
Ben and Jerry's?
SamGabbay is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #19
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
This doesn't even make sense as a knock against Apple.....

How many 1 year old devices have or will get the latest version of Android (minus rooting and ROMs)?

There are plenty of Android devices that get left out in the cold - heck most only receive a year's worth of software updates before being thrown out for the latest flagship. Apple might hold back a feature or two, but at least they support devices for 3 years.....(iPhone 4 may not get all the features, but it will still get iOS 7). Plus - if an Android device doesn't get the software update, it won't have ANY new features.....

Apple has the best "official" software support out there. Android can make up the difference with "unofficial" support (meaning ports and roms and such).

The difference is, a vast majority of iOS users can simply accept the OTA update when it comes out - a much smaller portion of Android users roots and roms their device for the latest Android version.

iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:46 AM   #20
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTVGuy View Post
In before someone with an iPhone 3GS starts belly aching about how they can't get iOS 7...
Heck, I'm pleased they've dropped the 3GS. But never mind that: I've got a 4 and that's been a complete dog on iOS since iOS 5.

Last week, I decided to install the beta of iOS 7 on my device; and whilst I absolutely love iOS 7, I think I'd get better performance from my phone if I replaced the A4 with a CPU soldered in my garage with spare silicon.

Single-core just didn't stack up in 2011, let alone 2013. I sorta wish they dropped the iPhone 4 from being iOS 7 compatible, because people who buy an iPhone 4 will be sorely disappointed.

Great OS, crappy hardware. Dual-core all the way!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
They were not afraid of change when iOS 6 was released. Why would they be afraid now? I think you are just making it up as you go, in order to be able to say something negative about Apple.
gnasher729 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #22
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
As someone who has developed for Android and iOS, I can tell you first hand, the fragmentation effing sucks. Google does pretty well at helping you manage it, but it still takes at least twice as long to write and test code to run on all Android devices as it does to do so with iOS devices.

And with the much smaller payoff... why bother? You're spending a lot of effort to get your app in a market that's only willing to spend 10% of what iOS users are.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #23
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
So what? This article isn't about hardware or features. This is about developers being able to count on API consistency.
That's exactly it. We're launching an app that's 6.1 only, but it provides the same experience across any device because it wasn't about unique hardware features, but API enhancements like CollectionView and the Social framework, not to mention things like smart banners to drive installs (and route web based traffic into the app).

Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #24
parapup
macrumors 65816

If you look at feature set of the OSes - Android 2.3 had all of the features of iOS7 So big deal Apple - same OS from 2007-2013 and ONE relatively significant iOS7 update that even tries to match Android 2.3!

Besides, Android people don't need to wait for an OS update to update most of their OS - it's called modularization peeps! (Chrome, Google Services(GMail, Play Store, various frameworks), Launchers, Keyboards - everything updates outside of the OS. So yeah, big deal with the numbers Apple - they don't mean as much as you make it sound they do.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #25
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

What about those devices that DIDN'T access iTunes in those two weeks?
Boatboy24 is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion