Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
ThePiratkapten
macrumors newbie

Handbrake: faac vs CoreAudio

Hi!

I am converting some movies with Handbrake and wonder if there is a difference between "faac" and "CoreAudio" in the audio tab when using AAC. I think if the audio quality is better with one or the other (I will use 320kbit/s).

Thanks in advance!
ThePiratkapten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
ThePiratkapten
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.
Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #4
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiratkapten View Post
Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?
No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
ThePiratkapten
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?
Thanks for the clarification! (By the way, thank you dynaflash too!) I don't use the presets because I want to have full control over the settings and use more optimized settings for my needs.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater