Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
SoundChaos
macrumors newbie

New MacBook Air DOA?

I just got a new MacBook Air, and it is completely DOA. Will not power on whatsoever, all troubleshooting failed, tried every possible key combo and all with applecare. All it does is give 3 beeps, pauses, 3 beeps, and that just goes on indefinitely. Anyone else have this issue?
SoundChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChaos View Post
I just got a new MacBook Air, and it is completely DOA. Will not power on whatsoever, all troubleshooting failed, tried every possible key combo and all with applecare. All it does is give 3 beeps, pauses, 3 beeps, and that just goes on indefinitely. Anyone else have this issue?
I don't really understand your question.

Few will have anything to suggest because, as you should, I'm quite sure they just returned the DOA MBA and received another one.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:

The three beeps of death points to bad RAM. Normally, this issue would be solved by replacing the RAM modules, but they're soldered on to the MBA logic board. So, the only recourse is to go back to the Apple store. It's their problem, only they can fix it.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
fa8362
macrumors 65816

You should take it back and get an exchange. Should this ever happen to you again, don't even attempt troubleshooting. It's not worth the time or aggravation.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Elven
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Elven
Have you turned it on while upside down?

Otherwise take it back..
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post
Are you suggesting the MacBook should be upside down... or the user?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Elven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post
Are you suggesting the MacBook should be upside down... or the user?
The user, being on a unicycle humming various tribal folk songs has been known to work.

(it sounds duffed take it back OP )
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
It sounds like you should exchange it since it's new.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
falconeight

make sure the brightness isn't turned down.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Hackney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post

Otherwise take it back..

This only works with HDDs. It was a trick that sometimes worked when the HDD had stopped working and there was a 'clipping noise'.
Hackney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:15 PM   #11
SoundChaos
macrumors newbie

Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues. I knew right away that it was the ram, and that no real troubleshooting could be done since it wouldn't even give the classic mac bootup sound. It appears as if I'm almost completely alone in this issue though... It was traumatizing to hear nothing but those beeps the first time i opened the lid...

Anyway, rather than getting a replacement, I got a full refund from apple, and ordered it off MacMall with 2 day shipping since I needed it ASAP and would be on vacation long before apple reshipped it, due to custom 1.7/8gb/128gb order. Also, even though I had a student discount through the apple store, it still came out $10 cheaper through MacMall
SoundChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:36 AM   #12
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models
Yes, it is common, didn't you see all the threads about it?
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Elven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues. I knew right away that it was the ram, and that no real troubleshooting could be done since it wouldn't even give the classic mac bootup sound. It appears as if I'm almost completely alone in this issue though... It was traumatizing to hear nothing but those beeps the first time i opened the lid...

Anyway, rather than getting a replacement, I got a full refund from apple, and ordered it off MacMall with 2 day shipping since I needed it ASAP and would be on vacation long before apple reshipped it, due to custom 1.7/8gb/128gb order. Also, even though I had a student discount through the apple store, it still came out $10 cheaper through MacMall
Nicely done, least now you can order some bacon.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14
fa8362
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues.
So you wanted to see if it was common to get a dead computer right out of the box? Seriously??
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:52 PM   #15
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues.
A completely dead Mac out of the box is really rare, and trust me, if this had been common the press would've been all over it ("NEW MACS DOA! IS APPLE DOOMED???"). more likely than not the RAM was poorly soldered onto the board, and it worked briefly for testing but finally broke while in transit.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air