Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lflotte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I was given an external hard drive full of archive files that I need (about 14g worth). I was warned that one or more of the files I was being given is infected with a macro virus. I have not put the files on my computer yet and was wondering if there was any way (like a program) that I could locate and clean the viruses on these files before I infect myself.

Thanks so much!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Those macro viruses won't be able to run on or infect your Mac, but you should be able to ID them with something like the free AV app. ClamXav. Once you have identified an infected document follow the instructions below to fix it.

Ls5hmhN.png

lflotte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for your help! I downloaded that program and have located the infected files.

I'm now trying to follow the instructions listed at the bottom but I can't find the normal file. I looked in the Microsoft User data file as it said to but there aren't any files there called 'normal'.

Where do I go from here?

Note: I also just opened Word and there isn't a security preference that allows me to turn on Macro Security.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for your help! I downloaded that program and have located the infected files.

I'm now trying to follow the instructions listed at the bottom but I can't find the normal file. I looked in the Microsoft User data file as it said to but there aren't any files there called 'normal'.

Where do I go from here?

Note: I also just opened Word and there isn't a security preference that allows me to turn on Macro Security.

I believe the location of that normal template file varies depending on which version of Office you have.

Try looking in the folder below. Click the desktop then hit shift-command-g (all three at once) then paste the line below into the box that pops up and hit enter. That should bring up a Finder window with the normal.dot file in it. Just delete the file then restart Word and a new normal file will be created.

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

Maybe this will help with the macro security feature. I don't have Office so I flying blind here a bit. :)

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
If you are using Office 2008, I don't believe you will find any problems with a macro virus as that version does not have VB for Application. It was returned to the latest version of Office.

I thought that Visual Basic for Applications macro viruses could affect both Macs and PC versions. However, I may be incorrect.

Ok, one quick Google search later:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187243/en

According to Microsoft it can affect both Mac & PC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.