Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
jererermy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Am I the only one that is struggling with this?

I've been running ios 7 beta on my iphone 4s since it came out. First off, it is amazing. I could not be more happy about the changes and the way it looks. With that said, this is strictly a critic and I was hoping for other opinions.

Ok, so is it just me, or is it sometimes really really hard to see the top bar icons or lock screen controls depending on the wallpaper you choose? I keep seeing tons of screen shots from people with backgrounds like this:


Now I know that 100% of people with ios 7 beta are not all using dark backgrounds. I have tried to put some of my own personal pictures as wallpaper, and I get more of a result like this:

It is so hard to see the clock, and sometimes the top bar information depending on the wallpaper. That is my only critic. I actually came across something in the forum the other day that said the text was supposed to automatically switch when it auto-detects a too bright wallpaper. I have yet to see proof of this on my own device. Can we start dialog about this? I don't have anyone else to discuss this with.
jererermy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
I agree that in your bright wallpaper the clock seems hard to see. I have not heard about the switching txt when a bright wallpaper is detected.
File a bug report, they are not just for bugs, feedback is also a category in the reports.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Quercus Alba
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Definitely a problem.

Perhaps some shadows or black translucency would go down well here.
Quercus Alba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Northernist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
The software is meant to automatically change the text from white to black on a bright background, I'm sure the it's still being tweaked though since it seems to hit or miss for most people.
Northernist is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
jererermy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Oh, so there actually is something in place? Is it also supposed to switch the font color of the app titles too? Or just the top bar. Wish that was working for me right now :-/
jererermy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernist View Post
The software is meant to automatically change the text from white to black on a bright background, I'm sure the it's still being tweaked though since it seems to hit or miss for most people.
So far, it only turns black if you use a white or nearly white background. Any mix of color and white, and the text remains white. Any color, and the text remains white, no matter how bright or pale the color is.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Sheza
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Well it's very easy to see the difference between the two backgrounds.

First of all the home screen isn't a fair comparison with your lockscreen because, well, obviously.

Secondly, the lower part of your lock screen wallpaper is dark. This triggers the white text mode.
__________________
Product History
Previous:
iPod Touch 3rd Gen - 32GB | iPhone 4 - 16GB (Black) | iPhone 5 - 16GB (Black & Slate) (Selling)
Current:
rMBP 13" (Mid 2014) 256GB | iPhone 6 - 64GB (Grey)
Sheza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
That's not a 4s lol
__________________
iPhone 5, iPod Touch, Apple TV, iPad Mini, MacBook Pro.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
msahadi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jererermy View Post
oh, so there actually is something in place? Is it also supposed to switch the font color of the app titles too? Or just the top bar. Wish that was working for me right now :-/
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	228
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	418991

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	218
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	418992
msahadi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:29 PM   #10
ominx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
From my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post17463746

So playing some more, it looks like the luminance of the image must be 198 or higher in order to display black text.

In order to figure out the luminance using RGB colors, use the following formula:
(0.2126*R) + (0.7152*G) + (0.0722*B)

So what seems to happen is iOS looks at the whole image, calculates the RGB average, then applies either white or black text based on this luminance threshold of 198.

You can find the RGB average of any of your images in Photoshop by using Filter > Blur > Average then use the color picker to find the individual values for RGB. Plug them into the above formula and if the result is 198 or higher then text will be black. A value of 198 and lower and it will be white.
ominx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:21 PM   #11
donnaw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominx View Post
From my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post17463746

So playing some more, it looks like the luminance of the image must be 198 or higher in order to display black text.

In order to figure out the luminance using RGB colors, use the following formula:
(0.2126*R) + (0.7152*G) + (0.0722*B)

So what seems to happen is iOS looks at the whole image, calculates the RGB average, then applies either white or black text based on this luminance threshold of 198.

You can find the RGB average of any of your images in Photoshop by using Filter > Blur > Average then use the color picker to find the individual values for RGB. Plug them into the above formula and if the result is 198 or higher then text will be black. A value of 198 and lower and it will be white.
I read all of your posts. Great work!

Somehow I think it would have been nicer for Apple to have just put a toggle on the Wallpaper select screen saying 'Black text/White text'.
donnaw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
Somehow I think it would have been nicer for Apple to have just put a toggle on the Wallpaper select screen saying 'Black text/White text'.
Or just keep things the way they were in iOS 6, with the drop shadows and background gradients and what nots.

iOS 7 just tries to change everything too fast. It's resulted in many small usability issues like this one that when combined amounts to a big problem. Each issue alone is so minor, it's like, who would complain about such a small thing? But then there's another one, and another one, and another one.... *sigh*
Night Spring is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Trius
macrumors 6502a
 
Trius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Or just keep things the way they were in iOS 6, with the drop shadows and background gradients and what nots.

iOS 7 just tries to change everything too fast. It's resulted in many small usability issues like this one that when combined amounts to a big problem. Each issue alone is so minor, it's like, who would complain about such a small thing? But then there's another one, and another one, and another one.... *sigh*
Beta.
Trius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Beta.
Not feeling optimistic that ALL issues will be fixed before general release. Last year, they made the iPad music player app unusable. Quite a few people complained about it while on beta, but it never got fixed.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Trius
macrumors 6502a
 
Trius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Not feeling optimistic that ALL issues will be fixed before general release. Last year, they made the iPad music player app unusable. Quite a few people complained about it while on beta, but it never got fixed.
I hear you, but be realistic. This is Beta 1. It's pointless to complain about these little things right now. The color of the status text will be fixed... all of the little UI issues will be addressed. I'm more concerned with what's happening behind the scenes. They're working on it... again, this is a BETA release. The whole point is to test and debug.
Trius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:54 PM   #16
ominx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
I read all of your posts. Great work!

Somehow I think it would have been nicer for Apple to have just put a toggle on the Wallpaper select screen saying 'Black text/White text'.
Thanks and I agree 100%. It would be very easy for Apple to include a simple toggle in the "Brightness and Wallpaper" settings.
ominx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #17
jererermy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
I hear you, but be realistic. This is Beta 1. It's pointless to complain about these little things right now. The color of the status text will be fixed... all of the little UI issues will be addressed. I'm more concerned with what's happening behind the scenes. They're working on it... again, this is a BETA release. The whole point is to test and debug.
You obviously missed the part where we stated this was a critic and dialog....not a complaint. A forum specifically designed to talk about everything ios 7 beta would be a terrible place for someone who gets constantly upset and accuses other of complaining. I would hate to be upset as much as that would cause

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominx View Post
From my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post17463746

So playing some more, it looks like the luminance of the image must be 198 or higher in order to display black text.

In order to figure out the luminance using RGB colors, use the following formula:
(0.2126*R) + (0.7152*G) + (0.0722*B)

So what seems to happen is iOS looks at the whole image, calculates the RGB average, then applies either white or black text based on this luminance threshold of 198.

You can find the RGB average of any of your images in Photoshop by using Filter > Blur > Average then use the color picker to find the individual values for RGB. Plug them into the above formula and if the result is 198 or higher then text will be black. A value of 198 and lower and it will be white.
You just blew my mind. My hat is off to you
jererermy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #18
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2013
There is no way to do this 100% because a background can be dark in some areas and bright in others.

This is where the black bars from older iOS versions would come in handy. Black app titles also won't be easy to see on dark (especially black) backgrounds, while the white ones will be more legible with drop shadow.

They are going to have to tweak this for the final version.
Paddle1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:24 AM   #19
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
I hear you, but be realistic. This is Beta 1. It's pointless to complain about these little things right now. The color of the status text will be fixed... all of the little UI issues will be addressed. I'm more concerned with what's happening behind the scenes. They're working on it... again, this is a BETA release. The whole point is to test and debug.
Pointless to complain? That's one of the main purposes of a beta -- to identify issues that need to be fixed. Don't assume Apple is aware of every issue. Because they are not. If they were, this wouldn't be beta 1.

Granted, posting on Macrumors is not how Apple prefers to receive feedback, but they do follow this forum. There are also a fair number of unregistered users running IOS7 that are unable to report issues though the proper channel. Posting to this forum allows others to duplicate issues and submit reports on their behalf.
KenAFSPC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:37 AM   #20
KeanosMagicHat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle1 View Post
There is no way to do this 100% because a background can be dark in some areas and bright in others.

This is where the black bars from older iOS versions would come in handy. Black app titles also won't be easy to see on dark (especially black) backgrounds, while the white ones will be more legible with drop shadow.

They are going to have to tweak this for the final version.
I much prefer the translucency to the black bars as it gives the illusion of full screen apps.

You're correct though, it will need some work before GM and release.
KeanosMagicHat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #21
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020
 
iBreatheApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus Alba View Post
Definitely a problem.

Perhaps some shadows or black translucency would go down well here.
Shadows aren't flat, though.
__________________
Steven Jobs was nothing less than brilliant. His vision to change the world was genuinely inspiring.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Quercus Alba
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
Shadows aren't flat, though.
Neither is gyroscope parallax, 3D live wallpapers, or floating, translucent overlays.
Quercus Alba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:51 AM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Not feeling optimistic that ALL issues will be fixed before general release. Last year, they made the iPad music player app unusable. Quite a few people complained about it while on beta, but it never got fixed.
I've been using it for a year so it isn't unusable. They fixed it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus Alba View Post
Neither is gyroscope parallax, 3D live wallpapers, or floating, translucent overlays.
Did apple ever say flat?
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Quercus Alba
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Did apple ever say flat?
No, but iBreatheApple just did?
Quercus Alba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:50 AM   #25
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020
 
iBreatheApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus Alba View Post
No, but iBreatheApple just did?
Incorrect. I never stated Apple said flat.
__________________
Steven Jobs was nothing less than brilliant. His vision to change the world was genuinely inspiring.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13 vs 15 For Parallels....Struggling to Decide jakespeed MacBook Pro 15 Feb 2, 2014 01:44 PM
Struggling to decide what to buy Moccasin iMac 1 Nov 17, 2013 05:36 PM
iOS7: Struggling to see the point. vrDrew iOS 7 111 Oct 11, 2013 12:10 PM
Struggling with DiskArbitration NSUser Mac Programming 1 May 9, 2013 04:21 PM
Struggling here.... lionmanpt MacBook Pro 18 Oct 30, 2012 02:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC