Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1
eugmac
macrumors newbie

Macbook Air Stolen - Need Advice Please

Hello Guys,

I had my Macbook air stolen from my car the other night. Woke up to my car window smashed in and my backpack gone. This is the second time this has happened to me in the past 6 months. I've already spend about $500 getting my window fixed for both instances.

The community that I live in is somewhat secluded, so I suspect the same person, someone who frequently comes to the community, is suspected of this criminal activity. I don't leave my backpack in my car but the two times that I forgot about my backpack, both times my window was smashed in. First time happened on a Tuesday, this past time happened on a Wednesday. There are community workers who come weekly Tue and Wed. Luckily I had "Find my mac" installed. Later on Wed night around 11:30pm, I received a notification that my mac had been found. It gave me a street location and a circumference of about 5 houses. I proceeded to use the erase my mac feature, and was emailed that my mac erase process had started. After I received the notification I saw that I wasn't far from the street that my mac was located, and proceeded to drive to that area. The area was a pretty run down neighborhood with most of the homes having bars on the windows. There was one house with the lights on during that time, so I suspected that was the house that had my mac. I called the police, the dispatcher sent a police officer over to my location to do a "preserve the peace." I was ready to go and get my laptop back, but the police officer had informed me that it may not be the best idea to go knocking on the door at 12am, and the criminal has every reason to deny that the laptop is not there in the first place. Since the police officer didn't have a warrant he wouldn't be able to go in and get it. He advised me to contact the detective and go through official means.

I have been checking Craigslist list every hour for the past two days. "Find my mac" has not given me an updated location since wed night. The more days pass, I suspect that my mac is lost for good.

I had a couple questions.
1) I had a password on my mac. How did the thief connect to a wifi network? Did he hack my password or bypass it?

2) How reliable is the erase my mac feature? I've read about this and have also contact apple concerning this questions, but both reps didn't give me a sure answer. Once I "erase my mac" and the thief sees that I have initiated this function, can't he just power off my Mac? How confident can I be that the mac was wiped successfully?

3) I've read, and have been told, that after the mac has been wiped the "Find my mac" feature can still function, and my mac can be located as long as it is connected to wifi. But my questions is, if the hard drive is wiped, how can the thief connect to a wifi network?

Its frustrating that the police can't do more because I know the location of where the mac is. I am thinking of writing a letter to my neighborhood and asking them if they have a similar experience and when it occurred. If everyone emails me back saying either, Tue, or Wed, then we can be pretty confident that its one of the workers that comes to our neighborhood on those dates.

Anyone have any advice or go through a similar situation? I've had my laptop for only 6 months and I really cherished it. I just want my property back. Thank you for your help and responses.
eugmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
MeatRocket
macrumors regular

I'm extremely sorry for you. Having your property stolen is one of the most ifuriating and stressful things because you've not only lost property, you've lost security.

I'm afraid to say that your Mac is most probably never to be seen again. I've advocated for Apple to flag stolen systems in their warranty database, but many here ridiculed me for such an absurd recommendation.

I'm not certain how well the "get back my mac" feature is. I'd suggest on your next laptop, you get LoJack for laptops or similar. Once you file a police report & report to LoJack that the item is stolen, they do all the legwork of locating the mac, interacting with police and even applying for search warrants on your behalf. It's just $75 for a 3-year subscription. I think it'd be worth it.

Depending on what state you live in, you may have other ways to retaliate. In my state we can shoot people stealing our property. I think I'd throw another backpack in my back seat one night, stake out the vehicle and when they come to steal your stuff, turn them over to the police with a few extra bullet holes. Just let them get away from your car first, you wouldn't want any buckshot to mess up the bodywork.
MeatRocket is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
techn0lady
macrumors regular

A few things:

1. Avoid advice from "internet tough guys" telling you hoe to forcibly get your mac back.

2. You don't really know which house your mac is in because the find my mac feature can't tell you that. You just have a guess - and that's not really good enough.

3. I have to say it - stop leaving high value items in your car. Since you know your area is breakin prone (twice!!) - stop leaving anything in your car.

4. Monitor Craigslist and eBay sales in your area - you might try looking at local pawnshops as well and pretending that you want to buy a mac.

Lastly, consider this a life lesson : after you had your car broken into (twice!!) you shroud seriously reconsider how you secure your personal property.
techn0lady is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

Just want to say I feel your pain. My home was broken into a few weeks ago, but luckily the thief didn't value electronics (only took jewelry) so he didn't take my MBA even though it was sitting right on my desk . I looked into Find my Mac as well afterwards and it seems relatively useless since it can't tell you the exact location of your Mac. And you can't exactly go around door to door asking people if you can search their home for your stolen computer
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Just replying to say sorry, and how much that sucks.
eyespii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:28 PM   #6
dangerfish
macrumors regular

1. What OS are you running? Your laptop could be connecting to the web during Power Nap.
2. & 3. Cant really answer

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do at this point. In the future, have a password on your account and a firmware password so that they can't erase the drive. DO create a guest account so that they CAN get online. Get Lojack or Undercover (which is what I use). Having software like this will help you actually get your laptop back and send the person to jail.
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:37 PM   #7
SusanK
macrumors 6502a

eugmac, I'm sorry you lost your Mac and your car was damaged again. I don't have good info for you. The Lo Jack post sounded impressive to protect future possessions. Really sorry.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Wow. I feel your pain; my MacBook Pro was stolen the exact same way back in 2010, along with about $3000 worth of dDSLR camera, lenses and photo gear.

I haven't had it hallen twice though. That REALLY sucks.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
eugmac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfish View Post
1. What OS are you running? Your laptop could be connecting to the web during Power Nap.
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/
It was a Macbook Air mid 2012 model. Had up to date OS X Mountain Lion.

Thank you all for the responses. The first time it happened it was only my backpack that was stolen. The second time is when my MBA was stolen.

I am thinking about writing a letter and posting on the doors of the houses where the MBA is suspected of being. Something like, my MBA has been tracked to this location and I do not want to involve the police. But if my MBA is not returned the police will be involved. I'm trying to think about it from the crooks perspective, he might dump the laptop if he gets spooked, but he might return it too. Any thoughts?
eugmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
techn0lady
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
Any thoughts?
My thought is that you would be setting yourself for a libel suit or a police complaint of harassment.

I know that you are frustrated and I know that you want to do something. That's not the thing to do. Reevaluating how you secure your items so you don't have a 3rd laptop stolen is the thing to do.
techn0lady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11
flynz4
macrumors 68030

There very last thing I would do is try to confront the criminal in any possible way. Is it worth if for a cheap laptop?

Instead, I would:
  • Immediately issue a "wipe" command through find my phone
  • File an insurance claim (or eat the cost if self insured)
  • Buy a new MBA, and restore from backup

BTW: Also set a firmware password, and also turn of FileVault2 as soon you you get any new machine. It is the data that is valuable... not the equipment.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:06 PM   #12
BJJBear
macrumors newbie

****ing hell man, really feel for you. I've been really unlucky myself with burglaries over the last few years. I'm a road cyclist and have had 3,000 worth of bike stolen and just 2 months ago we had another break in where a laptop, playstation and a north face jacket were stolen. There was nothing we could really have done, it just sucks. But I know for sure you don't want people saying it was foolish leaving your MBA in the car, you know that now of course!
I can't believe how incompetent the police are being, it was the same with my burglary in the UK, it's as if they don't want to find the stolen goods/catch the thief. Hope all goes well and you either recover it or insurance pays out. Best of luck

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air