Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
falconeight

Didn't like the screen on 2013 11 inch

I returned my 11 inch macbook air today. I just couldn't get past the screen. It was very washed out and the pixels were screaming at me. Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP. Im pretty sad because I was looking forward to the battery life and compact size. In the 2 days I had it I also wasn't too impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 6 hours out of a charge.
falconeight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
MeatRocket
macrumors regular

That really sucks man, sorry about your problems. I have read where people seemed to not realize full battery longevity without going through a few charge cycles. I also read that sometimes, especially on the LG screens, a specific profile was needed to bring the screen back into expected performance. The choppy Haswell I haven't seen though. Maybe you just got a dud? Apple does make high quality devices, but even they're susceptable to the occassional lemon.
MeatRocket is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
falconeight

Im pretty sure I am just spoiled by retina and it wasn't really choppy. The screen just blurs when scrolling.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
sk3tch
macrumors regular

I'm doing fine with mine...although I do much prefer my retina iPad 4 screen (of course). I have the AUO screen...and I haven't heard that much in the way of good things about it but I am fine with it.

Performance wise I have no problems. I just think people overestimate the battery life. Both my friend with a base i5 and myself with a loaded i7 are experiencing around 5 hours of life with "regular" use (us both being power users) - and that's no slouch. My '11 MBP was around 3 hours. So I'm happy!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
I returned my 11 inch macbook air today. I just couldn't get past the screen. It was very washed out and the pixels were screaming at me. Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP. Im pretty sad because I was looking forward to the battery life and compact size. In the 2 days I had it I also wasn't too impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 6 hours out of a charge.
maybe you needed to calibrate from the display settings.....i had the same feeling about my 2011 macbook air but i was satisfied after i calibrate the display..
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:23 PM   #6
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

I was in the Apple store recently and felt the same way. I briefly considered buying the 2013 Air, but am holding out for the Haswell rMBP like originally planned.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I was in the Apple store recently and felt the same way. I briefly considered buying the 2013 Air, but am holding out for the Haswell rMBP like originally planned.
Good idea

----------

I just wonder why they couldn't have updated the screen a little bit?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:53 PM   #8
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you doing that is giving you the impression that the processor is at fault here? Unless you're really taxing the processor, there is virtually no difference in every day tasks between this and the retina model.

If you're using that much power on the go, why consider the Air at all then? The 15" seems like the only portable that would be suitable for your needs.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you doing that is giving you the impression that the processor is at fault here? Unless you're really taxing the processor, there is virtually no difference in every day tasks between this and the retina model.

If you're using that much power on the go, why consider the Air at all then? The 15" seems like the only portable that would be suitable for your needs.
Nothing really taxing. Converting a video while scrolling. Im not saying that was a deal breaker. Its a great laptop, I just hate the screen. The pixels jump out at you and its washed out. I could have lived with the processor power.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:15 PM   #10
curtoise
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nothing really taxing. Converting a video while scrolling. Im not saying that was a deal breaker. Its a great laptop, I just hate the screen. The pixels jump out at you and its washed out. I could have lived with the processor power.
What do you mean by The pixels jump out at you?
curtoise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:20 PM   #11
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Good idea

----------

I don't even need the power of the Pro. I just do a ton of writing and can only dream of using the Retina display for reading/writing. I initially considered the Air, but after taking a look at the rMBP in recent months, I can't stand the Air's screen.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtoise View Post
What do you mean by The pixels jump out at you?
When I look at type its all pixels. It doesn't come across as a screen that belongs on a $1200 machine. Im sorry it just doesn't.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I don't even need the power of the Pro. I just do a ton of writing and can only dream of using the Retina display for reading/writing. I initially considered the Air, but after taking a look at the rMBP in recent months, I can't stand the Air's screen.
Me neither but the screen, 8gb standard ram, and the battery life is really good. I can't justify the difference. If I was on a train for 8 hours a day then I could but thats not the case.

It weights 1/2 a pound more than the 13 inch air and its just as thin as the thickest part of the 13. It also has a more powerful processor and a hdmi port.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:57 PM   #13
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
When I look at type its all pixels. It doesn't come across as a screen that belongs on a $1200 machine. Im sorry it just doesn't.

----------

Me neither but the screen, 8gb standard ram, and the battery life is really good. I can't justify the difference. If I was on a train for 8 hours a day then I could but thats not the case.

It weights 1/2 a pound more than the 13 inch air and its just as thin as the thickest part of the 13. It also has a more powerful processor and a hdmi port.
Totally agree, my 13" rMBP is the choice for me too. I have a 2012 Air, the screens are poor, "all pixels" as you say.

For me the screen is important, I stare at it for hours everyday, I don't want a washed out pixelated screen. The rMBP screens shouldn't and can't be undervalued, it's that good.

Nice to have a retina display on a laptop, tablet and phone!

That's the only reason the 2013"
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:39 PM   #14
butch10x
macrumors member

Quote:
Im pretty sure I am just spoiled by retina and it wasn't really choppy. The screen just blurs when scrolling.
bcuz ur reading imoportant info while scrolling?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/butch10x/
butch10x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:42 PM   #15
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch10x View Post
bcuz ur reading imoportant info while scrolling?
I actually read while I scroll.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think they want to keep the product as inexpensive as they can while still having it keep it's "premium" label and, for whatever reason, this is how they kept it. I think still using a TN panel is a mistake, although that assumes they can actually fit an IPS in there. I get the no retina thing. Tech just isn't there yet to add it in and not have it kill the battery.

But I'm sure price plays a big role in it. Just look at what happened to the price of the MBP when they started throwing retina screens in there. They can't have an 11" Retina Macbook Air having a baseline price of $1300.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:14 PM   #17
curtoise
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I actually read while I scroll.
Win
curtoise is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
technowar
macrumors 6502

I am a bit curious. Which has a better batt life, when both are power user. A '12 base MBP OR '13 MBA.
technowar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:07 AM   #19
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
I think they want to keep the product as inexpensive as they can while still having it keep it's "premium" label and, for whatever reason, this is how they kept it. I think still using a TN panel is a mistake, although that assumes they can actually fit an IPS in there. I get the no retina thing. Tech just isn't there yet to add it in and not have it kill the battery.

But I'm sure price plays a big role in it. Just look at what happened to the price of the MBP when they started throwing retina screens in there. They can't have an 11" Retina Macbook Air having a baseline price of $1300.
I wouldn't want a retina air. I just think some more pixels would have been nice. 12 hour battery life is great but come on the screen is just not good enough to justify $1200.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by technowar View Post
I am a bit curious. Which has a better batt life, when both are power user. A '12 base MBP OR '13 MBA.
The current MBA destroys anything else for battery life. I get 7 to 8 hours from my rMBP. The new mba 13 gets 12. I know I get encode video an hour faster than on the air though.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:18 AM   #20
technowar
macrumors 6502

Thanks. It's MBA all the way for me then.
technowar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:29 AM   #21
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by technowar View Post
Thanks. It's MBA all the way for me then.
You should be ok, as long as you never ever ever look at a retina screen.
falconeight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #22
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
In the 2 days I had it I also wasn't too impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 6 hours out of a charge.

Quote:
The current MBA destroys anything else for battery life. I get 7 to 8 hours from my rMBP. The new mba 13 gets 12. I know I get encode video an hour faster than on the air though.
?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:39 AM   #23
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
?
I had the 11 inch MBA.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:04 AM   #24
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816