Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

Why exactly don't we have a Jurassic Park?

And yes, I know it's impossible to create actual living dinosaurs.

What I am talking about is robotic dinosaurs, animatronic dinosaurs. I've been to a few museums where the dinosaurs could look around and roar and other things, why has nobody made an entire theme park about this? Put the dinosaur on some tracks and it could really look like it was moving around. Create an artificial environment of how it's habitat would have looked.

I'm telling you the park would sell itself, you'd have people come from miles away to see this place.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Are you looking for funds to build this absolutely can't miss, people will drive miles and show up in droves idea?

Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

They have something like this in a few places. I've been to them. They are dumps. Go to universal studios and hop on the jurassic park ride.
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

Stick it on Kickstarter. How many millions do you think it would take?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

It does exist. We have one here in Edmonton, Alberta. It is called Jurassic Forest. Been there and enjoyed it. Dinosaurs are huge business in Alberta. We have one of the largest dinosaur deposits in the world in Drumheller. I have a son who is in Uni studying Paleontology.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
carlgo
macrumors 68000

There is a park somewhere where there are very real looking dinosaurs that move around some and their eyes follow you. Historically it wasn't a good thing when they made eye contact.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

I recall taking my daughter when she was about 5 to some park in the UK (sorry don't remember where, but possibly Wales) with some very unrealistic static plastic dinosaur models. She was very into the land before time cartoons.
Anyway she was standing next to one when the tape recording of a roaring dinosaur suddenly kicked in. She must have jumped a mile!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

I remember when I was a kid I went to this dinosaur museum in Utah, and I remeber in one room they had a scale T-rex that could rotate it's head and roar.

It was by far the best memory I had from my childhood.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:22 PM   #9
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Our dinosaur museum is called the Royal Tyrrell Museum and is world renown. My family and I make a point of visiting it once a year as they always have new exhibits going on. Kids can actually dig for bones there. They have a dinosaur graveyard just outside.

Last edited by firedept; Jun 23, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I recall taking my daughter when she was about 5 to some park in the UK (sorry don't remember where, but possibly Wales) with some very unrealistic static plastic dinosaur models. She was very into the land before time cartoons.
Anyway she was standing next to one when the tape recording of a roaring dinosaur suddenly kicked in. She must have jumped a mile!
I think it might be dana rogoff caves you went to.

http://www.showcaves.co.uk/dinopark.html
Merthyrboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merthyrboy View Post
I think it might be dana rogoff caves you went to.

http://www.showcaves.co.uk/dinopark.html
Yes I think that was it. We stayed near Carmarthen as I recall.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
And yes, I know it's impossible to create actual living dinosaurs.

I'm telling you the park would sell itself, you'd have people come from miles away to see this place.
Why can't we? Simple. The Rolling Stones are still alive, as as we all know, they are older than most stones on the planet.

(I would mention others, but I don't want this going PRSI.)

BL.
bradl is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:17 AM   #13
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Why can't we? Simple. The Rolling Stones are still alive, as as we all know, they are older than most stones on the planet.

(I would mention others, but I don't want this going PRSI.)

BL.
Unbelievably wizened but somehow still kicking. Richards at least has a sense of humor about it. Remember that scene from the last Pirates movie where Richards says to Depp, "Does this face look like it's seen the fountain of youth?"
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
What I am talking about is robotic dinosaurs, animatronic dinosaurs. I've been to a few museums where the dinosaurs could look around and roar and other things, why has nobody made an entire theme park about this? Put the dinosaur on some tracks and it could really look like it was moving around. Create an artificial environment of how it's habitat would have looked.
That's nice and all, but the the Jurassic period was the junior varsity of dinosaurs. The most popular of the Jurassic dinos would include the Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus and Brontosaurus. Not exactly headliners.

You'd want to create a Cretaceous Park to get the popular dinos like T-Rex, Raptors and Triceratops. Ignorant Hollywood exec getting the most basic info wrong. T-Rex and Raptors were from the LATE Cretaceous period. May as well have humans exist during the same time period as dinosaurs.

WHAT?! Hollywood already did that? Well, I can forgive them that, since Raquel Welch was hot in a fur bikini.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #15
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Are you looking for funds to build this absolutely can't miss, people will drive miles and show up in droves idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
That's nice and all, but the the Jurassic period was the junior varsity of dinosaurs. The most popular of the Jurassic dinos would include the Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus and Brontosaurus. Not exactly headliners.

You'd want to create a Cretaceous Park to get the popular dinos like T-Rex, Raptors and Triceratops. Ignorant Hollywood exec getting the most basic info wrong. T-Rex and Raptors were from the LATE Cretaceous period. May as well have humans exist during the same time period as dinosaurs.

WHAT?! Hollywood already did that? Well, I can forgive them that, since Raquel Welch was hot in a fur bikini.
If you throw in a Raquel Welch in a hot fur bikini I think you would have the "People will come in droves" park we are looking for! Don't even really need the dinosaurs at that point would yeah!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
If you throw in a Raquel Welch in a hot fur bikini I think you would have the "People will come in droves" park we are looking for! Don't even really need the dinosaurs at that point would yeah!
That's a great idea...but I'm not sure how a 72 year old Ms. Welch will look in a bikini.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:45 PM   #17
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
That's a great idea...but I'm not sure how a 72 year old Ms. Welch will look in a bikini.
Details, details, details.......
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:47 PM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

One for the ever growing 'when I'm rich and famous' list methinks.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

I came in here thinking the op was going to ask for real dinosaurs. Im disappointed now!
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I came in here thinking the op was going to ask for real dinosaurs. Im disappointed now!
Wait!

Do you have any to offer!?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Consultant
macrumors G5

Right now the robot King Kong is probably the closest thing:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/06/ul_explodedview/
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:28 PM   #22
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Wait!

Do you have any to offer!?
Fortunately no, they would mess up the garden
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:49 PM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Fortunately no, they would mess up the garden
But an excellent source of FERTILIZER!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:49 PM   #24
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:

He'll have to spare no expense.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 06:18 PM   #25
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Because no-one wants to get eaten off the top of the toilet with their pants down.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events